The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #211  
Old 02-14-2019, 11:46 AM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,781
Default

It would be sweet to get an occasional sound track of student efforts. Thereby further eroding your reputation as a hard butt.
  #212  
Old 02-14-2019, 05:51 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
It would be sweet to get an occasional sound track of student efforts. Thereby further eroding your reputation as a hard butt.
My daughter shot this today, Evan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLCo...ature=youtu.be

We reviewed the 2 chords they learned on Monday, practiced strumming, and were introduced to three more chords. No school on Friday or Monday, due to the Presidents' Day holiday... I told them: "More time for guitar practice!"

It was apparent that there had been some practicing being done. Two new guitars purchased by parents... this means every kid now has a decent guitar to learn on.

After class, one young man asked if there was any interest in "doing a concert for a fund-raising effort"... I suggested that it might be best to wait until we are able to learn and play some songs.

"When can we learn songs?"

"When you are able to switch from one chord to another. All the more reason to practice!"
  #213  
Old 02-14-2019, 05:54 PM
eatswodo's Avatar
eatswodo eatswodo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
After class, one young man asked if there was any interest in "doing a concert for a fund-raising effort"... I suggested that it might be best to wait until we are able to learn and play some songs.

"When can we learn songs?"

"When you are able to switch from one chord to another. All the more reason to practice!"
I'm loving this. Let me know if you can use some strings - offer still stands.
__________________
David Eastwood
Guitars, I've got a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
  #214  
Old 02-14-2019, 06:07 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I'm loving this. Let me know if you can use some strings - offer still stands.
Thank you, David - very gracious offer. We're good for now - just hoping to keep the initial enthusiasm going. If they practice enough, I may have to show them how to change strings at some point.
  #215  
Old 02-14-2019, 09:11 PM
steelvibe's Avatar
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A mile over sea level, CO
Posts: 2,936
Default

This is super cool Jim and the red X10 is looking so good. I can send strings too- or maybe some Andy Mckee tabs that I'll likely never get too

just let me know!
__________________
I like guitars
  #216  
Old 02-14-2019, 10:05 PM
jdinco jdinco is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,888
Default

Hey, I play that same song ! Pretty impressive they have learned that much ! Way to go.
__________________
John
  #217  
Old 02-15-2019, 09:07 AM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,781
Default

I am really amazed that you have these kids working to this level so quickly. Good job, and thanks for the reportage.
  #218  
Old 02-18-2019, 03:57 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,077
Default

I went to a guy's house yesterday here in the park where we're staying - for "a jam." It turned out to a pedal steel player (who is good, but is very country), another guy on an acoustic with no pickup, and me. I played country music, and when I mentioned "rock 'n roll" it was like the scene from a movie where the guy walks into a bar and the crowd turns and goes silent.

I was invited to do another music "get together" today that turned out to be a performance: a good keyboard player/singer and me. Much more compatible (style-wise) than yesterday's get together. Folks in the park literally put this party together in a couple hours. I was able to sit at his left side and follow what he was doing on the keyboard, and I had a set list with OnSong that he could use for words and chords for my selections. Playing some older RnR and country, we did two hours, trading songs back and forth. He had a PA that handled the Event Center in the park just fine, and my Bose S1 worked fine with that... I ran my X10 into the Bose, but ran my mic to his mixer so the vocals would be coming from the same place.

Tony (the keyboard player) has drum rhythms set up on his keyboard and plays for a lot of the dances here at this park; essentially a one-man band. It was fun to make some music... and be done at 3:00 pm.
  #219  
Old 02-18-2019, 06:38 PM
EvanB EvanB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,781
Default

That sounds like fun. Yesterday the Tree Bar Band had a mando visitor who was just incredible. Playing with others is a great learning opportunity.
  #220  
Old 02-18-2019, 11:32 PM
TheChicagoTodd TheChicagoTodd is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 735
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I went to a guy's house yesterday here in the park where we're staying - for "a jam." It turned out to a pedal steel player (who is good, but is very country), another guy on an acoustic with no pickup, and me. I played country music, and when I mentioned "rock 'n roll" it was like the scene from a movie where the guy walks into a bar and the crowd turns and goes silent.



I was invited to do another music "get together" today that turned out to be a performance: a good keyboard player/singer and me. Much more compatible (style-wise) than yesterday's get together. Folks in the park literally put this party together in a couple hours. I was able to sit at his left side and follow what he was doing on the keyboard, and I had a set list with OnSong that he could use for words and chords for my selections. Playing some older RnR and country, we did two hours, trading songs back and forth. He had a PA that handled the Event Center in the park just fine, and my Bose S1 worked fine with that... I ran my X10 into the Bose, but ran my mic to his mixer so the vocals would be coming from the same place.



Tony (the keyboard player) has drum rhythms set up on his keyboard and plays for a lot of the dances here at this park; essentially a one-man band. It was fun to make some music... and be done at 3:00 pm.
Wow...that's awesome!

Todd in Chicago
  #221  
Old 02-21-2019, 06:45 PM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,077
Default

Back to the guitar lessons at our daughter's school: the kids had a 4 day holiday for Presidents' Day, so their last lesson was one week ago. I suggested they use those 4 days off to get in some additional practice.

Today: apparently, the kids thought that they would retain what they learned last week... without practicing. I told them, "It will be very apparent if you don't practice."

Yep, they didn't practice. Essentially, it was like starting over again. I guess I was the only one who put in any practice time in the last week.

One girl said, "We want to learn some songs."

To which I replied, "I was planning to get you started with a song today. But, without being able to play the chords, there is no way to play a song. Maybe we can do that on Monday if you put in some practice."

For my buddy Evan, I am not being "a hard butt"... frankly, this is about what I expected the second lesson to be like, but they had those first two lessons 3 days apart. They impressed me, showing that they can put in some practice time. It is a truism: if you don't use it, you lose it.

My daughter assured me that after any kind of a break, it is like "starting over" with their study habits.

Joan and I worked with a couple classes with their Gravity Cruisers today, as well. There were triumphs and despairs there, too. Next week is their big school competition with that project. The school's gifted teacher was working with us and said, "You are good at keeping these kids enthused." She wasn't there for the guitar class.
  #222  
Old 02-22-2019, 07:14 AM
rlawton rlawton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 100
Default Not surprised

That’s why I stoppped teaching piano. So many kids would show up to lessons without practicing. My wife is a second grade teacher and is very frustrated because she asks parents to practice reading with their kids and most don’t.

You might need to get creative and add a little “extrinsic motivation”. Maybe give them a practice journal that needs to be signed by their parents and offer a reward for practicing or even have weekly contests to see who can practice the most. Of course quality of practice matters greatly.
__________________
Rahn
_______________
Santa Cruz 00 skye, McIlroy A30C, McIlroy A25C, Blackbird Rider, Blackbird Savoy
  #223  
Old 02-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlawton View Post
That’s why I stoppped teaching piano. So many kids would show up to lessons without practicing. My wife is a second grade teacher and is very frustrated because she asks parents to practice reading with their kids and most don’t.

You might need to get creative and add a little “extrinsic motivation”. Maybe give them a practice journal that needs to be signed by their parents and offer a reward for practicing or even have weekly contests to see who can practice the most. Of course quality of practice matters greatly.
One Mother came in after school to pick up her son's homework (he was absent). I was just setting up for the guitar class (her son is in that). I asked her if he was feeling better... she shrugged her shoulders. I asked if he had been practicing guitar... "Not that I've heard."

Sad to say that there are some involved parents, but many that don't return our daughter's phone calls and have never been to a parent/teacher conference.

I suggested that they try to "practice together - you may be the next popular band!" I saw some thought about that. Not sure if any of them will do it, but mutual encouragement (and competition) could help.

Our daughter still gives homework; I have been told that many teachers don't. It is a different environment. I did tell the kids very directly that if the only time they practice is during the lesson they won't develop the muscle memory needed. There were some wide eyes when I told them that I play (practice) almost everyday. One kid is in baseball, and his coach said he could come late to their practice, when he is done with guitar. Some are involved in other activities, a couple of them seem very shy... it would be great to see them develop some guitar skills.

But, I can't make them practice. We'll see what happens with Monday's class.

On the bright side, our son-in-law is progressing nicely. Of course, he is putting in the practice time.
  #224  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:00 AM
jdinco jdinco is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 2,888
Default

Still a great thing you are doing Jim, I heard the same stories from my wife who was a teacher for 30 years, most parents are not involved.
I found out a couple days ago that my Grand Niece (10 years old) has decided to stop her guitar lessons. Don't make me happy, but what can you do. It seems to motivate her when she is around and hears me playing, certainly not an indication of my playing, remember she is 10 and easy to impress. Unfortunately she lives a thousand miles away. Keep plugging Jim....I bet you get thru to more kids than you will ever know.
__________________
John
  #225  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:46 AM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Still a great thing you are doing Jim, I heard the same stories from my wife who was a teacher for 30 years, most parents are not involved.
I found out a couple days ago that my Grand Niece (10 years old) has decided to stop her guitar lessons. Don't make me happy, but what can you do. It seems to motivate her when she is around and hears me playing, certainly not an indication of my playing, remember she is 10 and easy to impress. Unfortunately she lives a thousand miles away. Keep plugging Jim....I bet you get thru to more kids than you will ever know.
Thanks, John. As long as the kids show up, I'll be there. I remember when I was that age: everyone wanted to play guitar. A few of us stayed with it. I had a well worn Mel Bay booklet... couldn't afford lessons. I told our daughter that some lessons may get them started, and those who are truly interested will continue to learn after we head back to Texas. We'll see how it plays out.
Closed Thread

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=