The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-25-2018, 07:58 AM

Default Bose S1 Pro preamp

Anyone with this PA have any suggestions for pre-amp into this thing? I plan on using it this weekend and was wondering what I should try experimenting with. I plan on using my Taylor 414ce (1st gen Expression System).

Thanks for any suggestions.
2005 Taylor 414ce
2007 KoAloha Soprano Ukulele

1995 Gibson Les Paul Classic (Vintage Sunburst)
2006 Fender "Highway One" Telecaster (3-color sunburst)
2018 Fender "American Special" Stratocaster (Olympic White)

1995 Marshall JTM 310 (2x10)
2003 Fender Blues Junior
2005 Boss Micro Cube (Red)
2018 Bose S1 Pro
Old 06-25-2018, 08:40 AM

I have one and have played my J45, Martin GPCPA1, Yamaha AC5R and others through it using a couple different preamp/DI's. I would just use what you're used to using and tweak accordingly. You may not want/need any preamp at all.
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 06-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutSport757 View Post
Anyone with this PA have any suggestions for pre-amp into this thing? I plan on using it this weekend and was wondering what I should try experimenting with. I plan on using my Taylor 414ce (1st gen Expression System).

You might not need anything with the Taylor Expression system since it's an active system with on-board tone shaping. I'd just give it a go alone with the ToneMatch switch set to Guitar. If you need more than pretty much anything will work. I've had good luck with everything from a $10 Dan Electro Fish & Chips 7 band EQ to a K&K to a PARA DI, a Boss VE-8 and a Behringer Xenyx 1202FX mixer!
Old 06-26-2018, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutSport757 View Post

I have the S1 pro and a ES2 equipped Taylor 210.

I've been using the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ. I scored a used one here on AGF a while back. It really sounds good!
Old 06-26-2018, 06:54 AM

Ditto on what others have said.

You may not need one unless...

...You can’t dial in the tone you desire with what you have. I think you shoul be able to.

...there are other tools you need besides a good EQ section. Mute switch, boost switch, notch filter, effects, tuner, etc.
If you answer yes to the above then look into any preamp that has the tools you are looking for. These are some of the brands I have tried that could possibly work for you. Fishman, Baggs, Radial, Fire-Eye Red Eye, Mesa Rosette, Grace, and my new fave Sunnaudio. They all can do the job but each of them vary by the features they have. You kind of need to figure what tools you really need and then let us know then people here are glad to direct you.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 06-26-2018, 06:32 PM

I have used a TC Helicon Play Acoustic with great results. Also a zoom A3, Baggs Para DI, a Zoom A2, a Bose ad-5, TC Body Rez, mxr five band eq and a small Mackie Mixer. They all work well as long as I can cut the mids for my guitar.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

I play two ES-1 equipped Taylors and a Larrivee L03 with a Baggs Anthem SL pickup through mine without additional preamp or DI. Each sound great.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

I am using the Baggs Para DI with my ES2-equipped Taylor 914. I had never liked the ES2 until I used the para-DI to suck out a lot of the mids. This simple setup yields a nice acoustic tone through the S1.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:48 AM

I agree with Methos and others - you may not need a preamp at all. I do, however, use a Headway EB2. I run my vocal mic through the mic channel and the guitar into Channel 1 of the Headway. I use it for the phantom power for the headset mic. The eq is on both channels and I just tweak it a bit and it works well for my Shure headset mic and K&K Taylors. The EB2 works like a mini-mixer and saves me from having to bring my ZED 10FX.

Any simple eq with bass, mid and treble control will work fine. Since you have the ES2, you have bass and treble so that may work without an outboard preamp. The guitar preset tends to cut the mids a bit. Try it without a preamp, especially at the volume you intend to play. If that doesn't work, all the suggestions above are good.

I just bought my second S1 and are using two tonight at a local pub.
Great and easy to cover small to medium venues.
davidc
Old 12-08-2018, 06:55 AM

Whoops! I thought you had the ES2. The ES1 is more problematic. I pulled it out of my 814 cocobolo LTD and installed K&K. Not sure but I would bet you need something other than the onboard Guitar preset. The advice above is all still excellent!
Sorry, still on my first cup of coffee...
davidc
Old 12-08-2018, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I agree with Methos and others - you may not need a preamp at all. I do, however, use a Headway EB2. I run my vocal mic through the mic channel and the guitar into Channel 1 of the Headway. I use it for the phantom power for the headset mic. The eq is on both channels and I just tweak it a bit and it works well for my Shure headset mic and K&K Taylors. The EB2 works like a mini-mixer and saves me from having to bring my ZED 10FX.

Any simple eq with bass, mid and treble control will work fine. Since you have the ES2, you have bass and treble so that may work without an outboard preamp. The guitar preset tends to cut the mids a bit. Try it without a preamp, especially at the volume you intend to play. If that doesn't work, all the suggestions above are good.

I just bought my second S1 and are using two tonight at a local pub.
Great and easy to cover small to medium venues.
davidc
Since my initial post back in June I've also added a Headway pre-amp to my signal chain that I use on occasion. I have the smaller EDM-1 and it's terrific. I don't use it when I use the Boss VE-8 but for things like open mics it's great and gives me on-the-fly tone control when the soundman can't or won't dial in good tone for my style of playing.
Old 12-15-2018, 06:57 PM

Try the DBX GoRack. It's about the size of a romance novel with tons of features, EQ curves, feedback suppression & 2 discrete channels of XLR out. I actually bought 2 having 1 for backup. Since they're discontinued you can get them for a song. It's much cheaper than other EQ floor boxes & with a little noodling around with it, you can get it to make most anything sound better, work better or feedback less. Someone here recommended them & they sure weren't wrong!

Good luck.

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.

Last edited by TheShadowKnows; 12-15-2018 at 06:58 PM. Reason: spelling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification