The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-25-2020, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Default New Eastman Neck Angle/Saddle?

I just received this new Eastman E10D-TC. What is your thoughts on the straight edge falling about 1/16" or so above the bridge and the saddle being very tall, about 3/16-1/4" tall? Is this something I should worry about?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-3448.jpg (22.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3449.jpg (25.2 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3445.jpg (26.2 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3451.jpg (30.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-3452.jpg (32.8 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by UncleJesse; 02-25-2020 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:14 AM
Custom Guitars

How does it play? How does the action feel to you?
Old 02-25-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalekSydon View Post
How does it play? How does the action feel to you?
It sounds incredible. The action is a little on the high side, but I like mine on the high side. I'd probably lower it somewhat. The really tall saddle and the straight edge falling high on bridge made me wonder if the set was wrong. But I don't know much about that. I know that on both my Martin guitars the straight edge falls just below the top of the bridge.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:30 AM

The neck truss rod might be a little too tight causing a back bow. I usually don't complain about a back set neck. It's the opposite I worry about most. You have plenty of saddle to lower the action. You also should check the humidity of the guitar. If the top is dry and slightly sunken, that can happen.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
The neck truss rod might be a little too tight causing a back bow. I usually don't complain about a back set neck. It's the opposite I worry about most. You have plenty of saddle to lower the action. You also should check the humidity of the guitar. If the top is dry and slightly sunken, that can happen.
It did come from Phoenix. It'll be properly humidified here in Illinois. My home is currently sitting at 45%.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
It did come from Phoenix. It'll be properly humidified here in Illinois. My home is currently sitting at 45%.
Then, that's the most likely scenario. I would give it a few days in the case with the humidifiers. Otherwise, it will take a long time to return to normal. I'm in Chicago, I feel your pain.

Check for the other normal symptoms of a dry guitar.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/suppor...oms-dry-guitar
Old 02-25-2020, 11:10 AM

Neck is overset by a very strong 1/16". High saddle is placing greater than necessary force on the front slot surface.

Humidity changes will not correct incorrect neck angle. The guitar left the factory in that condition.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
Neck is overset by a very strong 1/16". High saddle is placing greater than necessary force on the front slot surface.

Humidity changes will not correct incorrect neck angle. The guitar left the factory in that condition.
So what do you think here? Is this an expensive fix on a bolt on neck? I hesitate to send it back only because it sounds so good. I could send it back I guess but it was part of trade with a dealer.

Maybe I can take it to a repair shop and ask for opinions.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:58 AM

Not that I've measured any Eastmans, but seems like every one I see has a LOT of saddle sticking out of the bridge. Doesn't that kind of imply that Eastman tends to "overset" their necks?

Obviously the neck is going to creep and lose angle over the years, so doesn't a slight overset mean it'll be a lot longer before it needs a reset?
Old 02-25-2020, 12:00 PM

Default my opinion

and ONLY my opinion, is that the guitar should be returned to vendor promptly. Wrong built is wrong built and there's no need to tolerate or work around the problem if it's possible to avoid the problem. New instruments should not be so far out of tolerance. If OP is on the hook for resolving this problem, I suggest he take this guitar to a luthier and get it inspected. Advice from us at a distance varies all over the map, and none of us is going to fix this for OP.
Old 02-25-2020, 12:30 PM

String clearance above the top at the bridge appears to be closer to 5/8" than 1/2". Saddle height could result in splitting the bridge.

If you like the sound you could live with it. Increased height above the top increases string torque which may over-tension the top and reduce vibration freedom. Apparently, you don't think so.

I thought the neck joint is dovetail not bolted?
Old 02-25-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWint View Post
String clearance above the top at the bridge appears to be closer to 5/8" than 1/2". Saddle height could result in splitting the bridge.

If you like the sound you could live with it. Increased height above the top increases string torque which may over-tension the top and reduce vibration freedom. Apparently, you don't think so.

I thought the neck joint is dovetail not bolted?
you're right they are dovetailed. Thanks for the info. I'll reach out to dealer and to eastman if necessary.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Not that I've measured any Eastmans, but seems like every one I see has a LOT of saddle sticking out of the bridge. Doesn't that kind of imply that Eastman tends to "overset" their necks?

Obviously the neck is going to creep and lose angle over the years, so doesn't a slight overset mean it'll be a lot longer before it needs a reset?
My last eastman was an E20OM-TC and it did not have a tall saddle, but then again I didn't think it sounded as good as it should have either. But that could be that it was a 000 short scale and I'm used to long scale guitars.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:16 PM

It's definitely on the high side but if you like the play-ability a tone then you can probably just ignore it. I personally don't like to go more then 3/16ths and ideally prefer 1/8th with a string heating of about 1/2in over the sound bard at the bridge face.

If the saddle is leaning forward excessively that can be a problem. If it has a piezo then ideally the saddle would have a loose fit but a lose fit on a tall saddle can cause problems too.

For a guitar like that I would set the relief to just about zero and get the saddle down as low as possible.

What is the action at the 12th fret? Can you get away with lowering that?
Old 02-25-2020, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
It's definitely on the high side but if you like the play-ability a tone then you can probably just ignore it. I personally don't like to go more then 3/16ths and ideally prefer 1/8th with a string heating of about 1/2in over the sound bard at the bridge face.

If the saddle is leaning forward excessively that can be a problem. If it has a piezo then ideally the saddle would have a loose fit but a lose fit on a tall saddle can cause problems too.

For a guitar like that I would set the relief to just about zero and get the saddle down as low as possible.

What is the action at the 12th fret? Can you get away with lowering that?
There's definitely some relief in the neck. I don't have the tools to measure how much. I measured it against my Martin HD28 where a straight edge falls exactly flat on top of the bridge. The Bridge height itself on the Martin is .375", the Eastman is about .325". Height from soundboard on Martin is about .525" and the Eastman is about .5375.

The eastman does feel like it could come down some especially frets 3-5, which may be the relief, I don't know. Not a ton, though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair