The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-17-2020, 07:54 PM

Saw a string quartet called ETHEL last year and the cellist swears by her CF cello. They do a lot of touring and use amplification. One thing she said was she'd ahve to spend a ton of money to get a wood cello that sounds as good.
Old 01-19-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
The culture tends to be strict about tradition and particular sound profiles.
There's an understatement.

Years ago did radio.

There were people that did classical shows, blue grass, jazz, and the rockers.

It was the classical people against everyone else. "That's not music" was their mantra about what "we" did. Some would be closet Jazz listeners so a nod or hello to the Jazz people was seen at times. I was in the Lou Reed, Pink Floyd and Sex Pistols camp. I was invisible to them.

Just to screw with them I would throw an occasional Bartok etude in there. This sent them over the edge. "Their" music sandwiched between sex drugs and rock and roll. It was a fun game to play.

So it will be the outliers who may try a CF instrument. Andre Rieu maybe, although I would still not watch him. Yo Yo would. Ara Malikian maybe..... Check him out by the way... MOST entertaining and incredibly skilled musician with a very interesting history. So much power that the classical world HAS to deal with him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9fL4XSKqHI
000-Nylon, All Mahogany custom, 000-15SM, D16-GT (resto mod in progress), D15-M, Stinger SSL electric....
And a Kobza, Bouzouki, Hurdy Gurdy and something medieval looking.....
www.woodenshoe.blog
Old 01-19-2020, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Here's a quick comparison. The sound of the recording is bad and you can't tell much from it but It seems to me the two carbons are louder than the regular violin. They seem to be overloading the mic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ekU4ARueztw
Old 01-19-2020, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

One of the cellists in the Bach Cello Suites Festival played a carbon fiber cello.

https://www.bachcellosuitesfestival.com/menu
Old 01-20-2020, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Here's a quick comparison. The sound of the recording is bad and you can't tell much from it but It seems to me the two carbons are louder than the regular violin. They seem to be overloading the mic.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ekU4ARueztw
I have seen other blind tests as well on youtube in the past.

It really seems that CF is an incredible fit for violins, cellos--bowed instruments in general--sound quality and output amazing.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:26 AM
Guest 928

Oscar--thanks for the Ara Malikian reference.

Fregly--thanks for a great comparison video, it's one of the best that I've heard in that it is short but covers an incredible range of sound by an accomplished player.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Oscar--thanks for the Ara Malikian reference.

Fregly--thanks for a great comparison video, it's one of the best that I've heard in that it is short but covers an incredible range of sound by an accomplished player.
Some petty snob in the comments section of the video had a mini tantrum about a minor issue in her technique, which speaks to oscarvan's comment above. If only I could reach through internet and smack the dude.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber