The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 10:26 AM
Guest 33123

Default 17 years of "honest wear"

Hi guys,

This is the 17th year I've owned my Martin 000-18MC. I bought it new (actually watched it come out of the shipping box). I have played it weekly+ throughout it's life. I've had it refretted twice now. Over the past year or more I've started to naturally wear the finish off the back of the neck down to the wood. While it has almost no dings, the finish on the body has slowly sunk into the pores and grain and developed a gorgeous patina. It's the longest I've ever owned a guitar and I am loving watching it age gracefully.

Longtime owners, how about you?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:45 AM

I think we need pics
Old 01-23-2020, 10:54 AM

Amen. I just finished posting about this is a long opening post and this (to me) is the essence of establishing a true bond with an instrument. Congratulations.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:54 AM
Guest 33123

Pretty hard to take clear pictures of wear like this but I could try...
Old 01-23-2020, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Here are my guitars. From left to right:
Wingert 00 built in 2001 and I purchased it used in 2003 so I have had it for over 16 years - second owner was a gigging musician so it has some nice dings and scratches on the cedar top and a little gouge in the binding.
Kramer Prairie Grass - just picked up my custom order this past July so only 6 months old.
Wingert E - custom ordered in summer of 2003 and took delivery in late fall 2004. Just over 15 years old. A couple of dings but in very good shape.
Alvarez Parlor/00 - bought it new in 2015 and it is my main travel and workshop guitar. It has a few nicks and dents.

I keep my guitars cased when they are not being played and I only do a couple of performances and workshops in a year so my guitars stay pretty protected most of the time. Well played but not as much well traveled. I do agree that even with the best care, I like that they acquire the bumps and bruises that show a life well lived!

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-23-2020, 11:02 AM

If it was me I would clean the bare wood and rub a little french polish or tru-oil on the back of the neck. I don't mind honest wear, and I'm not saying try to make it look new again, but a little bit of maintenance doesn't hurt either. But it's your guitar so do what suits you.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Pretty hard to take clear pictures of wear like this but I could try...
That's what imagination is for. If you've played a guitar for 17, 18, 20, or more years, you know what it means.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:08 AM

Two refrets in 17 years. That's a well-used instrument.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
Two refrets in 17 years. That's a well-used instrument.
...or perhaps an excuse to go with stainless steel frets, jeskar, EVO, etc.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:19 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
...or perhaps an excuse to go with stainless steel frets, jeskar, EVO, etc.
I'm a Jescar EVO guy now. 4 of 5 of my guitars have them.
Old 01-23-2020, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

I have ...had two guitars that I'd owned for 21 years, until about this tme last year when i parted frm a 1998 collings that I've loved for many years, and i now regret letting it go.

However, I do have the locally made 0028 that my wife spent all her savings to have built for me in 1998 for my 50th birthday.
it now has quite a nice 2tan" but the sunshine through the window has also lightened the rosewood sides.

Here it is :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HOCKEY 0028.jpg (20.3 KB, 252 views)
Old 01-23-2020, 02:11 PM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
when i parted frm a 1998 collings that I've loved for many years, and i now regret letting it go.
Why did you sell it Andy? You must have mentioned the reason at some point but I guess I missed it.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 01-23-2020 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:33 PM

At this point I've only got one guitar in the herd that I've been playing that long. It's got a satin-finished sitka top, and it has darkened up appreciably since it was new. There's one little stain on the upper bout where a drop of sweat hit it on a super-hot day when I was playing an outdoor festival. I didn't wipe it up because I was in the middle of a number, and by the time the song was over it had dried. Tried to remove it that evening with tap water and a soft rag, but it decided to stick around.

I'm a strummer, and you can tell where I tend to exceed the boundaries of the pick guard at this point. It's not actually pick scratches, but rather it's because I anchor my right-hand pinkie when strumming, and sometimes things get wild.

People notice that guitar more than the others when I'm jamming, as much for its looks as its sound. I loved it when it was new because the grain is quite narrow, and I love it all the more now because it shows, visually, how much music it's produced.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:23 PM

I *THINK* my 1996 satin Sitka Taylor 412 has developed a deeper brown color but I can't remember for sure if it was like that 23 years ago. I had it quite a while before I noticed the bear claw.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 01-23-2020, 03:36 PM

[QUOTE=Silly Moustache;6273447]I have ...had two guitars that I'd owned for 21 years, until about this tme last year when i parted frm a 1998 collings that I've loved for many years, and i now regret letting it go.

You have no idea how much I enjoy your posts and videos, Andy!
You are thee Coolest Cat across the pond.
Frankie D.

Sorry I absconded with this thread but I just had to say this now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion