The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-12-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Has it been confirmed that there's no tuner on board? It is odd that it doesn't say "tune/mute" but you never know. Regardless, I have yet to find an on board tuner that works well. I always opt for something external.
Agreed, my helix tuner is disappointing. I’ve got an app on my phone that does better.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 01-18-2020, 05:08 PM

I find it odd how little attention this product has received at NAMM so far. Generally by Saturday night, almost all of the new products have at least one video uploaded. I haven’t seen anything about the Soundscape and even the social media account for LR Baggs has been surprisingly quiet.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
I find it odd how little attention this product has received at NAMM so far. Generally by Saturday night, almost all of the new products have at least one video uploaded. I haven’t seen anything about the Soundscape and even the social media account for LR Baggs has been surprisingly quiet.

No demo though... I wonder why people can't call a dog a dog. It's IR. The guitar world is educated now.

Can you imagine Kemper or Line 6 call their IR a "CAB voiceprint" or a "CAB wavmap"?

Are acoustic guitarists considered dummier than electric guitarists?

He even used the words "acoustic response" and made a parallel with "capturing a speaker"...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 01-19-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
No demo though... .
NAMM's not a place where you could use a microphone for training, unless you want the guitar to sound like the drum set next door :-)
Old 01-19-2020, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
NAMM's not a place where you could use a microphone for training, unless you want the guitar to sound like the drum set next door :-)
I know but they could demo the dry/wet feature on an already trained guitar... at least on headphones/line out to recorder.

I mean it is frustrating for the people who watch the videos.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-19-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post

Now that’s innovation! Guitar that sounds like drums. The kids will be all over it. :-)
Old 01-19-2020, 11:12 AM

I finally listened to the two videos through my CP8 (floor monitor EQ in wedge position against a wall) that are available on Sweetwater's website.

While I agree the lack of effect/bypass demo was frustrating, I can't agree that those two guitars did not sound great in the video with no discernable UST artifacts.

The extreme simplicity of the training process with a phone app to guide (no user microphone required!), and that it is trainable (ToneDexter over Aura), makes this a another step up in user friendliness in the acoustic IR evolution.

The explicit single note run up the neck in the training might be what they use to detect a magnetic pickup and then process appropriately for that problem.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-19-2020, 12:04 PM

I just find it very odd how little exposure Lr Baggs have gotten. Premier guitar always posts their summaries of each day of NAMM and the soundscape did not make any of the days. Lr Baggs just keeps posting videos of players using their M1 pickup. I know more will come out soon, it’s just a weird year for NAMM.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:39 PM

$399 on Sweetwater.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...MPcA&gclsrc=ds
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 01-19-2020, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the link to the NAMM vid.

I like the fact that the Baggs rep seemed very confident about the anti-feedback technology. They've no doubt tested that feature pretty thoroughly.

The Soundscape is similar to ToneDexter in that it analyzes the trained guitar's frequency response and predicts what frequencies will be likely to feedback. The two boxes differ in that TD reduces the two lowest resonant frequencies by a fixed amount. The Soundscape gives the user a knob to vary the amount of reduction, as needed.
Old 01-19-2020, 08:35 PM

I just realized that the Guitar world video has a very short clip at the end. I could be proven wrong but so far this pedal seems like a bit of marketing hype. Again, it's super early but every clip I have heard sounds like a basic piezo. Hopefully they showcase a good demo with the blend to show how good this can really sound.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:59 AM

Just to check, here is a recent Sweetwater video where the guitar pickup sounds like a guitar pickup. It is the latest Martin SC-13E and it screams out for a ToneDexter. This is a good baseline to calibrate your ear.

https://youtu.be/5MSHO73dzeQ

This is the Sweetwater video for the Baggs' Sound Scape. No on/off demo of the effect but the guitars sound great.

https://youtu.be/pvrlvGcPfT4
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-20-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Just to check, here is a recent Sweetwater video where the guitar pickup sounds like a guitar pickup. It is the latest Martin SC-13E and it screams out for a ToneDexter. This is a good baseline to calibrate your ear.

Wow, that Martin sound truly is awful pickup wise, thanks for sharing.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 01-20-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I just realized that the Guitar world video has a very short clip at the end. I could be proven wrong but so far this pedal seems like a bit of marketing hype. Again, it's super early but every clip I have heard sounds like a basic piezo. Hopefully they showcase a good demo with the blend to show how good this can really sound.
The UST users who don't care for much Voiceprint in their blend are bound to hear some quack with heavy strumming. I don't see any way around that.

Reading between the lines of what the Baggs rep Mike said, I got the impression that he doesn't believe his Anthem SL rig needs much help in the tone department, but he's finding the Soundscape's anti-feedback knob to be very helpful. Since the Baggs folks don't sell soundboard pickups, aside from soundboard mics, it would be ironic if Soundscape turned out to be the biggest help to SBTs.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post

This is the Sweetwater video for the Baggs' Sound Scape. No on/off demo of the effect but the guitars sound great.

https://youtu.be/pvrlvGcPfT4
I am not sold on that Sweetwater video to be honest. The second guitar sounds better but I am starting to feel as though this is less of a Tonedexter type of pedal where your pickup becomes more mic-like, and more of an enhancement tool. Again, I could be wrong but what I hear is a UST/piezo tone that's a bit more polished/processed. I don't hear a mic-like quality.

I agree though with the Martin guitar. What a weird move on their part to release a brand new design and then pair it with a crappy pickup. They should have at least put in the Matrix Enhance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification