The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-31-2017, 07:13 PM

Cool.. a guy named Mark that plays piano... but with good hair...sigh
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Cool.. a guy named Mark that plays piano... but with good hair...sigh
Yeah, back in the day, we both had good hair. Well, lots of hair. I seem to be growing up through mine.

One last reminisce: on one of the photography sessions we had done for promo photos, the lady doing the photos (a friend and co-worker of mine) saw Mark for the first time and said, "Wow, you are quite the hunk!" This was the 70s, you could talk like that and no one was offended. Well, I was a little offended... I said, "What about me?"

She said, "Um, you are a fox."

I was pretty sure hunk was further up the scale from fox. Mark was beefier than me, so I asked, "What if I put on 25 pounds?"

She said, "Then you would be a short, fat fox."

Kinda ticks me off that he is more svelt than me these days (he runs marathons), AND he still has great hair.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Jim Jim Jim;

She's not going to just throw those guitars out the window. You'd best make up, as soon as possible. Burn the broom and buy a vacuum cleaner. That there is 50-years-of-married-life advice.

Unless you were the one supposedly riding the broom. That's a different ballgame. My wife has never accused me of being a witch, even though I have sometimes accused her of being a rhyming word. So, if you are riding the broom, I have no advice.
Ah, Evan, she has a Dyson vacuum cleaner for inside the coach; the broom is to sweep the sand off the patio mat (this is the desert).

Since she was already a bit worked up, I knew not to ask, "Where do you want me to put this broom?" I have no doubt she would have told me.

We are only 5 years behind you on wedded bliss. I would never use that rhyming word. After years of being a crew trainer on boats, I expect the unexpected. I train to handle all sort of situations. I have already lived longer than I ever though I would... there is little in this world that scares me. She scares me. We've all heard: Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned. I would never "scorn" that lovely woman, but it is rare that I will let a verbal jab go by, especially if it is funny... and that broom comment cracked me up. I was a party of one.

Old 04-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

I should point out that the bad word was a one-time-only slip. You know how sensitive the male ego is, well my significant other scratched my ego. I scratched back. Then we started digging. Pretty soon we had all-out war of not-nice words going. We eventually ran out of not-nice words and started getting creative. And then things got so funny we couldn't stay mad. And then we went to dinner. That was risky territory and we've never gone back.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Captain;

I should point out that the bad word was a one-time-only slip. You know how sensitive the male ego is, well my significant other scratched my ego. I scratched back. Then we started digging. Pretty soon we had all-out war of not-nice words going. We eventually ran out of not-nice words and started getting creative. And then things got so funny we couldn't stay mad. And then we went to dinner. That was risky territory and we've never gone back.
Good plan, Evan... the "never gone back" part. I am not trying to escalate a war between the genders, but when I've said something in anger, it always comes back to haunt me. It took me a while to learn that I don't win an argument... oh, I may make my point, but...

On the flip side, my lovely wife encourages my guitar passion. When I showed her that gorgeous X20 Select Series last month, she said, "Oh, that is beautiful - is it what you were wanting? Get it!"

Certainly hard to argue with that kind of outstanding logic.

Old 04-01-2017, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Good plan, Evan... the "never gone back" part. I am not trying to escalate a war between the genders, but when I've said something in anger, it always comes back to haunt me. It took me a while to learn that I don't win an argument... oh, I may make my point, but...

On the flip side, my lovely wife encourages my guitar passion. When I showed her that gorgeous X20 Select Series last month, she said, "Oh, that is beautiful - is it what you were wanting? Get it!"

Certainly hard to argue with that kind of outstanding logic.

Captain Jim....

When a woman says things like that I think I would forgive most things...[emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

The two of us, the cat, two Emerald guitars, and our "caravan" (motorhome, small SUV, cargo trailer with the scoots) are rolling east. Heading to Big Bend National Park next, before heading for the Tropical Tip.

Yesterday was the first day in a long time that I didn't get any guitar playing in.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/04/we-be-rolling.html

For the record we had to drive separate through Arizona... so, she missed me. Or, maybe missed having "her driver"? Now that we are in New Mexico, we can double tow again. On the road again... cue the music!
Old 04-03-2017, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Made it to Big Bend National Park today - the park is ruggedly beautiful, and is a LONG ways from civilization. Got some exploring of the park in today, then some guitar time under the awning, on our patio...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/04...onal-park.html

Old 04-03-2017, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Living the dream vicariously through Cap'n Jim and the Blonde....sail on Cap'n....sail on!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Old 04-04-2017, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChicagoTodd View Post
Living the dream vicariously through Cap'n Jim and the Blonde....sail on Cap'n....sail on!

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sometimes, the Blonde says something similar: "Can't wait to see the post to see what we did!"

She laughed out loud when she saw this...

Good thing she has a sense of humor!
Old 04-04-2017, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

That is pretty darn funny!

Old 04-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

A couple days of hiking, then returning to the coach for some patio time (with a guitar, of course)...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/04/scramble.html

After a couple days of this hiking stuff, I am reminded of a thread here about backpacking with a guitar... hiking with no pack, I am sure I don't want to be schlepping a guitar through the desert.

Nice to kick back and play when we get back, though.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Awesome!

Old 04-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Home, sweet home. The new X20 gets to meet its siblings. Now, the unloading process, then the bug-scrubbing process, then the coach goes into our storage unit and the boat comes back out.

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-march.html

Getting to this point kinda feels like a wrap with this "incoming" Emerald.

I did get a half hour this morning to plug the X20 into my rig (Play Acoustic-> Fishman LBM-> into a Bose L1c. Sounds great! The LR Baggs pickup is new for me, so there will be some adjusting while I learn what works best for the tone I like. The tone and volume controls in the sound hole are easy and convenient, but at first blush, it feels like I have more control at the guitar with the B-Band in the X7.

Bumpy roads, huge swings in humidity, and both the X7 and the X20 were in tune when I pulled them out.

Some big decisions to be made: my guitar room is small - heck, this whole house is small; we built it as a vacation home before we retired. Digressing again, there is room for 5 guitars out, so I have to decide which are going back in cases so both the X7 and X20 will be a handy reach. I may even try to find new homes for a couple. We keep trying to simplify. No question, the two Emeralds aren't going anywhere... well, 'till we're ready to hit the road again.

Once the settling in has happened, I'm looking forward to playing with the Zoom recorder. Well, when the Blonde says, "OK, the work is done."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber