The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 AM

Default Emerald X20-OS punches way above its weight

I took delivery of this beauty 7 days ago and can harldy put it down. It's tonal range is incredible to my ears, giving zingy trebles and a piano-like quality to it's bass. Playability is fantastic, it's so responsive I am having to lighten the pressure from my fretting fingers. The guitar is ergonomically designed to sit in your knee so its really comfortable and it has a bevelled edge for your arm to rest on. I haven't played another make of CF guitar so I can't make comparisons but if you are looking for one, you have to put this on your list of possibles. A superb instrument!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:52 AM

Nice buy..I had one in me hands for a week or and was very hard to but down indeed.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-06-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebridgian View Post
I took delivery of this beauty 7 days ago and can harldy put it down. It's tonal range is incredible to my ears, giving zingy trebles and a piano-like quality to it's bass. Playability is fantastic, it's so responsive I am having to lighten the pressure from my fretting fingers. The guitar is ergonomically designed to sit in your knee so its really comfortable and it has a bevelled edge for your arm to rest on. I haven't played another make of CF guitar so I can't make comparisons but if you are looking for one, you have to put this on your list of possibles. A superb instrument!
Greetings from across the pond, Stonebrigian...IMHO you have one of the best acoustics ever produced!!! I have had my X20-OS for a few months now, and the "honeymoon" is still ongoing...Unfortunately my woodies are being neglected.
The intonation, weight, ergonomics, and offset sound hole,(into my ears as well as the audience), have captivated me more than any other guitar that I have ever played!!!
I have been considering haveing Alistair build me another one in 12 string...however, the Chimaera's are also calling to my soul...Too Many Choices!!!
Enjoyed your review Amigo...and the Emerald gets top ratings from me also!!!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:15 AM

Cheers Claytone. A 12 string version is also calling to me! Though I think I may have to part with one/two of my other guitars to fund it.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:31 AM

You guys are on the right track but coming up a neck short. Nuff said! LOL Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 08-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
You guys are on the right track but coming up a neck short. Nuff said! LOL Steve
Old 08-12-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Nice buy..I had one in me hands for a week or and was very hard to but down indeed.
Mark, I don't want to be a bad influence... but I really can't believe you haven't added an X20-OS to your herd. I keep luvin' mine more all the time... I think Alistair brought it all to the party on this one.

... just sayin'.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:14 PM

I too have added an X20-OS to my collection. It weighs next to nothing, and with the beveled edge it is very comfortable to play. The intonation is spot on all the way up the fretboard. It can sound intimate when fingerpicked lightly, yet if you dig in a bit, it is capable of putting our high volumes with deep bass without breaking up or sounding muddy. It is the guitar I pick up and play all the time. So if anyone is interested, I have a BTO Taylor 814c that is just resting in its case lately.

Emerald X-20
Guild BT-240E
Journey OF660
Old 08-14-2013, 06:54 AM

Just a quick update...I am on the last day of a family vacation, staying in a lodge in Arkansas, playing in Mother Natures Backyard.
I thought I had found a quite moment to play to myself, when one of my Nieces came from upstairs and said " Uncle Clay... That is the best guitar that I have heard you play!!!" It seems the acoustics in the lodge carried throughout the entire structure,(at least 4500 square feet), and the reverb was spot on...
So much for the idea of playing only for myself!!! I only brought my Emerald on vacation...
Old 08-14-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Greetings from across the pond, Stonebrigian...IMHO you have one of the best acoustics ever produced!!! I have had my X20-OS for a few months now, and the "honeymoon" is still ongoing...Unfortunately my woodies are being neglected.
The intonation, weight, ergonomics, and offset sound hole,(into my ears as well as the audience), have captivated me more than any other guitar that I have ever played!!!
I have been considering haveing Alistair build me another one in 12 string...however, the Chimaera's are also calling to my soul...Too Many Choices!!!
Enjoyed your review Amigo...and the Emerald gets top ratings from me also!!!
Just to give you another thought on the Chimaera, I have played both it and the X20-OS. If I had to choose between the two as a acoustic instrument, it would be the Chimaera. But you have to think of the Chimaera more as a OM size guitar. Its does not have as deep a bass, but I think it is very balanced, and the response, dynamics? up the neck is I think a little better, maybe due to the larger overall soundboard?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 08-14-2013 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonebridgian View Post
A 12 string version is also calling to me!
Here's a quick recording of mine to whet your appetite

Old 08-15-2013, 03:09 PM

Paganskins, that is truly great! the tune is moving and the sound is really nice! i know the zoom H1 and tends to sound a bit thin, but this guitar sounds really big and resonant!!

thanks for sharing it. keep on posting more of your recordings!
Wes Lambe 8-strings
Avalon dread
...and some old fender, basses, violins, harps...
Old 08-15-2013, 05:04 PM

Im loving this thread.
When I set out to design the X20-OS I decided to be completely true to myself and the materials I use and not be swayed by the past or tradition and just build the best guitar I could.
The design came together in a very short space of time but I agonised over it for a long time. I worried I had added too much inovation for it to connect with customers but on the advice of a few friends I decided to run with it.
Its turned out to be the best decision Ive ever made as its been so well received and the customer feedback just like here has been phenomenal.
The guitar just does so many things well, Its comfortable, Easy to play, Sounds great and is loud and projects. Whats more its proved to be an incredibly versatile platform for custom orders with Us having completed Baritone, 12 string and 7 string variations all with great success.
Its currently making up nearly 50% of our sales so Im very thankful for the advice to go with my gut. You just may see more of that in the future.
Alistair
Old 08-15-2013, 05:08 PM

I should correct myself, the X20-OS wasn't "the best decision Ive ever made" . Marrying the woman who puts up with all my ideas every day was the best decision Ive ever made.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Hay View Post
I should correct myself, the X20-OS wasn't "the best decision Ive ever made" . Marrying the woman who puts up with all my ideas every day was the best decision Ive ever made.

What an incredible "save" ! ! !
Else it would have been hell fury for a woman scorned, ya ?

Coming back from the tangent, i'm loving the "punchy" tones when my X20-OS is pushed to produce during aggressive strumming; great for some of the Hillsongs & PlanetShakers praise songs i indulge in...
Wonder if the 12-strings X20-OS is equally "punchy" with "chorus"-effect ???
2009 GXi Wine
2009 CA 12-Strings Sun-burst
2010 X-Performer Carbon-burst
2011 Cargo Red

Emerald Soloist
2012 X20-OS Vintage Amber

Blackbird Soloist
2013 Super OM Carbon-burst with italian racing red sound-holes

http://pinterest.com/charming01/carb...forced-guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber