The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-26-2015, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Speaker View Post
My price range is between $100 and $300 and I think I might get lucky and come up with a suitable nice amp for around $200.
Hi SS...

A sleeper amp which is one of the best for under $140 is the UltraSound AG-15M - which seems to be unavailable everywhere. Two channels, XLR and ¼" input (and output), three way tone plus presence control, 14 pounds, and an 8" coax speaker.

It only has 15 watts, but you will hit your endurance level far before it maxs out the power or hits feedback (unless your are deaf).

I've had mine for about a year, but there was a limited run at the factory, and then they ran out everywhere. Not sure why, but it's certainly a little brother to the UltraSound AG-50 (DS4) which is a magnificient purchase about about $400.

I'm a fan of UltraSound amp quality and durability (been playing them for over a decade), but i'm not sure the Dean Markley acquisition of the company has been for the the best.

Their service has certainly declined.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-26-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi SS...

A sleeper amp which is one of the best for under $140 is the UltraSound AG-15M - which seems to be unavailable everywhere. Two channels, XLR and ¼" input (and output), three way tone plus presence control, 14 pounds, and an 8" coax speaker.

It only has 15 watts, but you will hit your endurance level far before it maxs out the power or hits feedback (unless your are deaf).

I've had mine for about a year, but there was a limited run at the factory, and then they ran out everywhere. Not sure why, but it's certainly a little brother to the UltraSound AG-50 (DS4) which is a magnificient purchase about about $400.

I'm a fan of UltraSound amp quality and durability (been playing them for over a decade), but i'm not sure the Dean Markley acquisition of the company has been for the the best.

Their service has certainly declined.

Not only could I not find a retail outlet here the Ultrasound AG-15M si not available on Amazon.ca
I'm wondering if they maybe revamping their business and bring out newer models later. It seems to be a very competitive business.
Too bad.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:49 PM

I have had my best results with a Roland KC100 and KC110 keyboard amp, and a 30 watt Crate acoustic guitar amp. I tried the following amps out, bought two of them, and sold or took them back to store: Marshall ASD50, Fender Acoustasonic 150, Fishman Loudbox mini, and a Vox 30 watter. I was shocked that these latter amps didn't work for me. Might be because my Taylor acoustic guitar has a cedar top and a poorly-reviewed pickup (LR Baggs iBeam)

I have a Roland KC100 for sale and if you are in or near Ottawa why not try it out ? It has no reverb or chorus but pedals work really will through it, as do vocals (it's actually a 3 channel amp). You can send me a message through this forum.

Getting into the stores if you can and try a lot of amps out is by far the best option.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:41 PM

Hi N
I bought my new 2014 model Ibanez AEG10E VS acoustic electric on the internet from a music outlet in Ottawa (I'm north of Toronto) and saved some money because it was last year's model but brand new. I will be visiting another very large music in Richmond Hill this weekend.
Thanks for your offer but I do want an amp with reverb and chorus.
I'll see what is out there over the next month, visit music stores with my guitar in April and buy an amp in about 8 weeks.
In the meantime I'm working hard at practicing 45-60 minutes every day so I'll be ready to put an amp through its paces.
Thanks
B
Old 02-28-2015, 06:10 AM

Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with the Behringer - VT15FX Virtube Guitar Amp?
Old 02-28-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Has anyone had any experiences good or bad with the Behringer - VT15FX Virtube Guitar Amp?
It's a fun practice amp designed for electric guitar. With an acoustic electric guitar, it will have a pronounced midrange boost, along with some distortion on even the cleanest gain settings. Ric
Old 02-28-2015, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

I've owned most of the brands mentioned here at one time or another, some brands I've bought twice. All were sold off.

When I played a Schertler Jam 400 at a local music store, didn't take me but a minute. Best acoustic amp I'd heard up to that point. Bought it, been using it for 4-5 months now, it still brings me pleasure. Great amp.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
It's a fun practice amp designed for electric guitar. With an acoustic electric guitar, it will have a pronounced midrange boostthealong with some distortion on even the cleanest gain settings. Ric
Good point, I want a compatible amp for an acoustic electric guitar.

I was in a huge music store in Richmond Hill Ontario today.
It's so big, 56,000 sq ft, it was like a candy store full of many amps.
They have so many brands to test I'm sure I'll find something there.
It's supposed to be the largest music store in North America
I've never heard or seen such a place.
It has over 200 employees and 2 dozen musical instrument technicians.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
I've owned most of the brands mentioned here at one time or another, some brands I've bought twice. All were sold off.

When I played a Schertler Jam 400 at a local music store, didn't take me but a minute. Best acoustic amp I'd heard up to that point. Bought it, been using it for 4-5 months now, it still brings me pleasure. Great amp.
Amp seems to have a good reputation.
However, it's over budget for me.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Try the Behringer ACX450. I have the big brother ACX1800 and I love it. People tend to look down on behringer but I tend to not care what others think. I bought my ACX for 270US scratch and dent (small scratch on the face that is only noticeable if you look closely) at American Musical Supply. If you don't plan on gigging you can probably find the acx450 for steal!
Old 03-01-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twbranch View Post
Try the Behringer ACX450. I have the big brother ACX1800 and I love it. People tend to look down on behringer but I tend to not care what others think. I bought my ACX for 270US scratch and dent (small scratch on the face that is only noticeable if you look closely) at American Musical Supply. If you don't plan on gigging you can probably find the acx450 for steal!
The ACX450 will be one of my main acoustic amp prospect that has all the features and sells for $300 here which is the absolute top of my budget.
I watched a Youtube demo and sounded ok.
The store I visited yesterday has testing rooms and sells that Behringer amps. I will watch for a sale as well.
I might be a good fit for me.
Thank you for your input.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:30 AM

Default Peavey VYPYR VIP 1

I've come across another amp that seems to have a lot of good features at a reasonable price.
The Peavey VYPYR VIP 1 sells for $150 CAN and it appears to be an adequate sized amp for practicing and home enjoyment.
Does anyone have this amp and what is the pros and cons?
I realize no amps in the lower price ranges are perfect.
I'm also interested in any amp that is compatible with Apple Mini iPad or iPhone software.
My guitar is an IBANEZ AEG10 electric acoustic.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:24 PM

Hi Silent
I live on Lake Simcoe just north of Toronto.
You must be talking about Cosmo in Richmond hill. Yes they are big, but I've been playing for years,, and mys son plays in concert bands viola, clarinet, mandolin, oboe. We buy a lot of items. Cosmo does have everything and sometimes good prices. although they have everything, I found them to be about 15% higher than you know who, L and McQ. But, try the Arts music store in Newmarket. The staff treat you well and you might be surprised. Also, I bought a used Behringer acx 1800 from L and M in Markham and like the other post said, I love it. People tend to frown on Behringer but I have it off the ground and it has plenty of volume, although heavier than a dead horse! It's got everything I need then some. Try The Arts music store, then look at L and McQ in Markham, Scarborough, Steeles Av for a used acoustic. L and M don't seem to advertise or push their used things but sometimes you walk in and something just came in. Good luck.
1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio
Old 03-26-2015, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

I just bought a loudbox mini out of necessity and I have a pickup w/battery in a 1958 Gibson J50. It sounds pretty **** clean to me. My teacher requested I use an an amp for our Skype lessons. I brought my 2012 D-18 into the shop today to have a k&k pure mini with volume control installed without a preamp and expect it to sound clean also. The D-18 neck is a little easier for me to play than the Gibson and is similar to most of my guitars with 1 3/4" nut.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:43 PM

+1 on the Genz Benz Shen Pro LT. 300 watts, 37 pounds, Tube Pre, good effects. Hunt a clean used one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification