The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-03-2009, 06:23 AM

Default latest try

http://www.soundclick.com/zelator

Well i think it was shawlie who said try doing the lah lah lah untill you all on your own start to sing .

Well here it is and what do you know he was right ...............not Nat King cole material but a start .

give me the low down on how to improve on this
Old 09-03-2009, 06:49 AM

Not bad, but problem is that the guitar seems to drown out your voice. Maybe a different placement of the mics? Good voice though and playing not too bad.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly5834 View Post
Not bad, but problem is that the guitar seems to drown out your voice. Maybe a different placement of the mics? Good voice though and playing not too bad.
yes i do know where you come from there and seem to be all tied up in a tangle at the minuet as i just set up in a 6x4 shed at the bottom of my garden .I am trying to get a handle on recording as well as playing and singing .

Kind of like patting your head rubbing your tummy standing on one leg and amusing the kids all in one go lol

i did go for recording studio software but found them way to complicated so audasity is more than i need for now .

But the funny thing is i get the best sound from an old mp3 player that has a record function .
Maybe i should do the playing and singing seperate then use audasity to mix the two ........or is there any advice for a better way . thanks for the comment ,it realy matters
Old 09-03-2009, 10:41 PM

Good vocals but cut back a little on the guitar gain. A bit too loud IMO...... If you have separate gain for guitar and vocals I would lower the guitar gain a notch or 2.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Good vocals but cut back a little on the guitar gain. A bit too loud IMO...... If you have separate gain for guitar and vocals I would lower the guitar gain a notch or 2.
What the problem is i think is that i am not plugging in the acoustic as it is made to do but playing and singing in front of a recording device that is closer to the sound hole than my voice .Not haveing an amp at the minuet ...i am scared to plug into comp in case i fry the sound card .like i say i will maybe try doing them seperate and then mixing them .I have a dtech micro amp but i think it is more for electric guitar than acoustic as it has only tone volume and overdrive .Not too in the know about the plug in thing and always feel envious when i see you guys getting that electro acoustic plugged in sound and that marshal tube amp sound .
Old 09-05-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelator View Post
What the problem is i think is that i am not plugging in the acoustic as it is made to do but playing and singing in front of a recording device that is closer to the sound hole than my voice .Not haveing an amp at the minuet ...i am scared to plug into comp in case i fry the sound card .like i say i will maybe try doing them seperate and then mixing them .I have a dtech micro amp but i think it is more for electric guitar than acoustic as it has only tone volume and overdrive .Not too in the know about the plug in thing and always feel envious when i see you guys getting that electro acoustic plugged in sound and that marshal tube amp sound .

Move the recording device closer to your mouth and further from the guitar if possible. Try experimenting with different positions. Seems to me the guitar is too close to the mic. It's distorting.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:29 PM

Hey, Zelator - it sounds pretty nice, the playing and singing (and again - that advice was just advice I got once, just passed it on...). Like the songs a lot -
love the little single string thing that keeps coming into it. And it sounds pretty good for an mp3 player, if that's what you used in this.

Like Ryan says, try different locations to record and see where it sounds best, qua guitar/voice mix. But even then, you can't add effects seperately if you plan to (like a little reverb on the voice and a little less bass on the guitar, etc.).

You can record the guitar on the mp3 player, play it back on the computer while recording your voice. Try to line them up as best you can in Audacity (on two seperate tracks) and mix it the way you think sounds best. It shouldn't be too hard, that's how I use my Zoom all the time.

But again, just a different place for the recorder might be all you need - and it has a very nice live sound to it like this as well.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 09-05-2009, 01:04 PM

Thank you so much for the free advice and generous words ( whoever gave you them ,they were words of wisdom .

once again thanks it is realy encouragiing shawlie
Old 09-05-2009, 02:06 PM

Great song, Zelator, and I think you are on the right track! As Ryan and Shawlie suggested, try putting the recorder in different positions until you achieve a good mix of guitar and vocal. Also hang blankets or other fabric to deaden the sound reflections in the recording space. Then, try adjusting the gain or input volume to the recorder where the "hiss" is least while still getting good volume of guitar and voice. Once you have an MP3 or wav file you can import it into Audacity and boost the volume, adjust EQ, and further reduce the noise (hiss) there.

There are no hard fast rules, it will just take a lot of experimenting until you stumble on what works best for you based on your recording equipment and environment. It's work, but half the fun is in the discovery! I'll be looking forward to hearing how you progress, so keep em coming!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 09-06-2009, 01:54 AM

Hehe you guitar guys find funny ways to work your magic and Bobby you suggest hanging blankets and that reminds me of the guy who started me on guitar .He says that he used to use old egg boxes to line the walls of make shift record studios .............he said it was sound proofing the cheap way .

where there is a way there is a will ........and never so more in music i am finding .

Thanks again the inspiration you guys give off is such a boost ,i found my self in that quite country lane with the dog yesterday singing my heart out and trying different things .I kept a look out for the men in white coats ,its ok lol
Old 09-06-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelator View Post
Hehe you guitar guys find funny ways to work your magic and Bobby you suggest hanging blankets and that reminds me of the guy who started me on guitar .He says that he used to use old egg boxes to line the walls of make shift record studios .............he said it was sound proofing the cheap way .

where there is a way there is a will ........and never so more in music i am finding .

Thanks again the inspiration you guys give off is such a boost ,i found my self in that quite country lane with the dog yesterday singing my heart out and trying different things .I kept a look out for the men in white coats ,its ok lol

The egg carton trick has been used for many years, and it is effective! LOL If I could get enough of them I would do a whole wall, but alas, the new foam plastic style is all I can find and they just don't work as well as the old heavy paper fiber kind.

I practice singing in my car when I'm stuck in traffic...I'm hoping people just think I'm talking on the cell phone!! Then again, perhaps it would be better if they thought I was a loon; it might encourage them to keep their distance from me!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell