The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-10-2009, 01:15 PM

It’s interesting you posted this because I’m about 70 pages into Michelle Mercer’s Will You Take Me As I Am, Joni Mitchell’s Blue Period.
Vocal chops (or the lack thereof) often keep people from appreciating the song, melody, lyrics, etc. There was a post a ways back from someone who didn’t “get” Bob Dylan. And I’m sure some can’t “get” Neil Young for the same reason.

FWIW, Joni’s Blue album was voted #30 from industry insiders in Rolling Stones Top 500 albums. (Think about all of the albums ever made that didn’t make the cut, and then focus on the fact that there are only 29 albums ever made that topped it and I think you have a helpful clue as to her appeal). I mention that so that you approach listening to the album with a little more wonder than you might have otherwise done.

Young women have always “gotten” Joni. Men, not so much. Maybe you need to be in touch with your feminine side; maybe you just have to have dumped a great lady and felt guilty. Whatever, she’s one of my favorites. (And Mary Chapin Carpenter falls into pretty much the same category for me).

BTW, my wife can’t stand her voice so I have to listen to her on my own.

And, yes, the book is well written and gets a recommendation.

geokie8

P.S. Little known fact: Mercer reports that Joni’s bout with polio as a young girl affected her left hand so badly that she turned to alternative tunings that were easier to play as a remedy. Who knew?
Old 07-10-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
Joni was an incredible singer/songwriter..................different strokes for different folks I guess.............10 Grammy's says someone thought she was good.....

I love this pic.....................
awsome pic Louie. and crosby, who is sitting right next to her credits her with teaching him alternative tunings. i liked her cd Blue for a while. steve stills plays most of the bass on that album. this pic is taken when all those dudes lived up in that canyon in california, ah, i cant remember the name. starts with an F? post woodstock, but rihgt before early 70s....must have been quite an idyllic time back then. bet that ole Martin D-28 still sounds great...

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 07-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokie8 View Post

FWIW, Joni’s Blue album was voted #30 from industry insiders in Rolling Stones Top 500 albums. (Think about all of the albums ever made that didn’t make the cut, and then focus on the fact that there are only 29 albums ever made that topped it and I think you have a helpful clue as to her appeal). I mention that so that you approach listening to the album with a little more wonder than you might have otherwise done.
Hi geokie8!
Thanks for your post. I downloaded Blue from iTunes a couple of days ago and I really like several of the songs. It's funny, the vocal thing still bugs me on some songs but it might be growing on me. Oddly enough, her vocal phrasings stick in my head. I don't know the words to her songs but I'll find myself humming along to what she is doing with her voice. Maybe I'm starting to come around!

I give the bulk of the credit to whoever posted the YouTube video of Free Man In Paris when she is playing with a band. I really like that tune. That stuck in my head for a while and helped me bring more attentive ears to Blue. (all the rave reviews here didn't hurt either )

I wasn't going to even start this thread. I was afraid people might take it as me being a jerk (and I think a few people did) but I'm glad I posted this. All of your replies kept me interested in music that at first listen, I didn't like and as a result, I've broadened my musical horizons. Thank you!

Matt
Old 08-14-2009, 08:56 AM

post deleted

Last edited by Ziperhed; 11-25-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
=open-road-matt;1898225]
It's funny, the vocal thing still bugs me on some songs but it might be growing on me. Oddly enough, her vocal phrasings stick in my head.
I wasn't going to even start this thread. I was afraid people might take it as me being a jerk
Not at all.... There is no law or reason that says someone has to like a particular artist just because of their level success. Just as there is nothing wrong with liking an artist that few do. Personally while recognizing the quality and stature of Joni's songwriting ability, as a performer I find her shrill voice only allows me to listen to one or two songs at a time. I have yet to be anywhere close to being emotionally moved by a Joni Mitchell song as compared to say someone like Eliza Gilkyson .. Her CD "Paradise Hotel" In my very personal opinion has some songs on it that are absolutely stunning in both the music and lyrics. Check out "Borderline", "Is it like Today", "Calm Before the Storm" and "When You Walk On" They also take a few listening's but well worth it ... Kev

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-19-2009, 09:16 AM

I don't post a lot on here, just lurk mostly, but I have to comment on Joni and Kris. When I was younger I did not get Joni at all, but when I hear her songs now (being past 50 myself) I am blown away by how beyond her years her lyrics were. She was an old soul even at 20. Circle Game makes me cry every time I hear it now, having raised 3 boys. I am astonished someone the age she was at the time could write a song like that. I never got Kris either until I got older, and then I saw him on stage and did get it. At his best his songs are as good as they get. Many people are not huge fans of the voices of Young, or Dylan, or Kris, or even Mitchell, but you can still appreciate their artistry.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:48 PM

Haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if I'm duplicating, but: Search Youtube for the Cyndi Lauper version of "Carey" from the Joni tribute a few years back...amazingly funky!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:37 PM

How did I miss this thread? Joni is my absolute favorite. I consider her and Stevie Wonder to be true geniuses. Nobody plays guitar like Joni. Her lyrical poetry is unmatched. COmbine that with her awesome vocal skills, she is a triple threat. Very rare these days. Joni is not entertainement. Listeneing to Joni Mitchell is like taking your hardest but most interesting university class. SHe is so deep and profound. Even in the way she tunes and plays the guitar.
I know alot of people don't get Joni because everythign she does is totally out of the box. You can't put a label on Joni. Just when you think you have her figured out, she is on to something new. She is always evolving and her music evokes whatever she state she is in at that particuliar time in her life. SHe has no formula and refuses to sell out just to sell records. Most of what you see is manufactured and comprimised to sell. BUt not Joni. Joni is a tue artist.
Not only is she an awesome poet, guitarist, and vocalist, but she also paints. The amount of talent and beauty she was blessed with almost seems unfair. Joni used to say that she sang her sorrows and pianted her joys.There are alot of emotions behing the genius of Joni Mitchell. That in itself loses alot of male ears right off the bat.
Every female guitarist that I admire, as well as several males credit Joni Mitchell as a major influence on them. Alot of people don't get Joni, but I am glad that I do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell