The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-27-2020, 11:02 AM

Default How to repair top crack?

I recently discovered, much to my chagrin, that my Martin OM1 fingerstyle guitar had developed a top crack. I had left it out on a stand in my living room so it would be more accessible. I could just grab it and play, and that was nice for a while. Apparently the forced air heat dried it out to the point that the center seam separated from the lower bout almost up to the bridge. I don't think it's just a finish crack, it seems deeper than that to me. This is one of my favorite guitars and I plan to keep it forever. What's the best way to go about repairing the crack? Humidify the heck out of it?
Martin 0015M
Martin Backpacker
Old 02-27-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Cheapo View Post
What's the best way to go about repairing the crack? Humidify the heck out of it?
If it's cracked, humidity isn't going to fix it. I believe the norm is to push glue into the crack and reinforce cracked surface with small cleats on the back side. Take it to a luthier (which I am not).
Old 02-27-2020, 11:20 AM

Since you asked, the best way to repair it is to take it to a competent repair tech

What they will do is humidify the guitar so that hopefully the crack closes up nice and tight. Then they will glue it back together with an elaborate clamping and caul system and probably add internal spruce cleats to the underside across the crack.

Here is one I am currently restoring as an example.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:12 PM

I'll try to get some decent pictures of the crack...
Martin 0015M
Martin Backpacker

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair