The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-13-2017, 10:05 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator
Default "Blackfella, Whitefella"

"Blackfella, Whitefella" is a song by Australian band "Warumpi Band" and the title I have given this guitar. I had planned this Warumpi tribute guitar for quite some time and am just getting towards the end.

The Rarrk on the headstock is my decorative impression of the Rarrk from North East Arnhem Land, "Salt water people".

I want to post the neck joint esspecially to those on forums who seem to think the bolt on neck is some sort of cop-out or something that people do to avoid a tapered dovetail joint. The reason I use this is cause it seems to work pretty good as a tilt neck not cause it is easier or less work.

This guitar is pretty much the same as the other build threads I have posted here, a parlour guitar 320mm lower bout, fender scale.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is the tilt neck detail (different to "Rose Cliche" but based on the same)
The adjust bolt is angled to get around the truss rod. You can see the steel that the body hinge dogs into.

[IMG][/IMG]

Body hinge that brass disk will be rebated in for the adjust bolt to push against.

[IMG][/IMG]

Headstock Rarrk

[IMG][/IMG]

A gold input jack goes in the centre of the circle

[IMG][/IMG]

Sound hole rosette flag and tilt neck adjuster hole

[IMG][/IMG]
If I chose car racing instead.
Jim Schofield
Old 03-14-2017, 04:48 AM

Hey, Jim, cool looking instrument. I spent 26 years in the Top End, how long you been in Darwin? Is this a kit, or are you using locally sourced materials? I'm rather surprised that you could source such stuff up there. (I managed to escape 13 years ago)
Old 03-14-2017, 05:27 AM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Been here 27 years LSemmens, I love the endless summer.

Not a kit, here is a link for this forum section to another I built in the same design http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=305843 It shows bracing details etc.

Back and sides are "Poverty bush" from WA, neck is silver ash from QLD, Top and bracing Sitka from the USA, fretboard EIR and the bridge will be PNG Rosewood. I use local stuff as well as buy in the mail, Have built out of the local African mahogany weeds, used our top end black wattle and a few other local bits and pieces.
If I chose car racing instead.
Jim Schofield
Old 03-14-2017, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
Been here 27 years LSemmens, I love the endless summer.

Not a kit, here is a link for this forum section to another I built in the same design http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=305843 It shows bracing details etc.

Back and sides are "Poverty bush" from WA, neck is silver ash from QLD, Top and bracing Sitka from the USA, fretboard EIR and the bridge will be PNG Rosewood. I use local stuff as well as buy in the mail, Have built out of the local African mahogany weeds, used our top end black wattle and a few other local bits and pieces.
Cool! I went up the for four years, as I said, took 26 to finally escape. Still got a son up there, works for the Uni and plays in the Army Band. I spent my last 10 years up there cutting those weeds down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair