The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-05-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrick View Post
...That's exactly the one I'd like to get but it says "built-in electronics"... If it has electronics then I'll have to bite the bullet & order one from The Man himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
I ordered my "AGF Shorty" from Ted without electronics. If I were to own one guitar, and knowing what I know now, it would probably order a CO-WS1000N2 and spec it without the barn door electronics... Either that or I'd order a CO-WS1005NS without electronics.
Guys, for what it's worth... I despise barn door electronics, hate the look, they are an abomination on all guitardom. Yet, when I decided I needed a CF, the first good deal I found (here on AGF) was a WS-1000 with a barn door Fishman UST. I sucked it up and bought it, knowing I could get my money back out of the guitar.

I still really hate the look of the barn door, but from the perspective of function, I now understand the not inconsiderable advantages. If this is your first CF, and if you get a good price, just get it.... you won't regret it... order one to your exact specs later if you find you can't live with a barn door... I've been surprised by the advantages.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 04-06-2015, 08:49 AM

Check out McPherson Kevin Michael guitars. From my research they are now the best of the best.

and way too many picks...
Old 04-09-2015, 10:28 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

I really love the CF guitars and I'm so glad that in this day and age, we have the "Sport Utility Guitar" option. When I pick up my CF guitars, I'm never making comparisons in my head about how much or little they sound like wood guitars... I just pick them up to play and I'm usually just thinking about the music, not the material that went into the guitar. I've also come to realize that people hear things differently so it's important to have your own opinion about the tone of these guitars rather than try to rely on what someone else has said. YouTube videos are fine but sound is really only part of the equation. When you have an instrument in your hands that feels right, has good action, sounds pleasing to your ears, and you want to use it to express your musical ideas, it has passed the true test.

JR
Old 04-09-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inked View Post
Check out McPherson Kevin Michael guitars. From my research they are now the best of the best.
Inked, not being contentious, but I just re-learned the lesson we all know... no "he said, she said" research will ever replace actually playing the instrument.

I was at LA Guitar Sales yesterday to A/B my WS-1000 against smaller body CF guitars. I went fully prepared to LOVE the Kevin Michael, and it was the first instrument I played. It was nice, not inspiring. I then played the Blackbird Lucky 13... holy moly, what a difference... to my ear and my hands, the Lucky 13 is worlds better than the Kevin Michael... who would'a thought, based on my "research".

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 04-09-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
Inked, not being contentious, but I just re-learned the lesson we all know... no "he said, she said" research will ever replace actually playing the instrument.

I was at LA Guitar Sales yesterday to A/B my WS-1000 against smaller body CF guitars. I went fully prepared to LOVE the Kevin Michael, and it was the first instrument I played. It was nice, not inspiring. I then played the Blackbird Lucky 13... holy moly, what a difference... to my ear and my hands, the Lucky 13 is worlds better than the Kevin Michael... who would'a thought, based on my "research".
I've been dying to try one of those. Sigh- they are harder to find that Rainsongs! I have heard nothing but great things about them and I love the look and specs. I settled on the Shorty (kind of similar in many ways). How did you like the neck on the L13 compared to the N1 (at least I think that is what your RS has)?
Old 04-09-2015, 09:32 PM

That's good to hear about the Lucky 13. Hopefully I will get to try one at the end of the month. Blackbird will be one of the exhibitors at the Reno Uke Festival. I've been curious for a while now, but never got to try one in the flesh. I also look forward to trying their eKoa ukulele too.

Or maybe it's bad for me to hear your comment. I need another guitar (and another CF guitar) like I need an extra hole in the head. But it would be in good company with two Rainsong and a CA Cargo.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I've been dying to try one of those. Sigh- they are harder to find that Rainsongs! I have heard nothing but great things about them and I love the look and specs. I settled on the Shorty (kind of similar in many ways). How did you like the neck on the L13 compared to the N1 (at least I think that is what your RS has)?
I liked everything about the Lucky 13. The neck shape was perfect for my hands, the scale length, depth & radius make playing barre chords very easy... I wish it was available in a 1-13/16" nut width, but 1-3/4" is adequate. My WS-1000 has an N2 neck and is a bit chunkier in depth than I like.

The multiple sound holes (including regular front hole + the clever headstock sound hole + side sound hole) deliver a stereo tone that is VERY satisfying for the player... my wife was with me to listen, and she also preferred the Lucky 13 sitting in front. It does not have the monstrous volume or projection of the WS-1000, but I loved the warmer, sweeter tone of the L13.

Other Good Things: I really love the body shape, size, and ergonomics of the L13... the rounded edge on back/side connection is super comfortable on my forearm... dimensions are very 00... It is light as a feather... the overall look is proportional and very attractive to my eye. The bridge is very interesting, actually a flamenco shape and proportion, looks nice! Stainless fret wires... every CF maker should provide stainless (I was disappointed to learn Rainsong does not use them).

Not-So-Good: The standard strap pin is located in the wrong place... a strap will fall off without a strap-lock, bad design... I want the pin properly located. It comes standard with a good gig bag, but I prefer a hard case. The MiSi pickup? It sounded fantastic thru the Shertler amp at LAG, but I think a cigar box would sound fantastic thru the Shertler... TBD. The tuners are Ping... meh... I would much prefer a set of Gotoh 510s. No truss rod due to hollow neck... make sure your setup is perfect from the start!

I hate to admit it, but I liked the L13 so much I ran out of time playing it and didn't get a chance to try the Shorty... I am very impressed with Rainsong instruments. Still, I think the L13 is perfect overall for my needs. FYI, I sold the WS-1000 in 2 quick phone calls, definitely buying a Lucky 13.

Last note... really enjoyed getting to meet Ted & Helene at LA Guitar sales, very personable couple and the store is a joy to visit.

BD

Last edited by billder99; 04-10-2015 at 06:26 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber