The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-24-2010, 01:17 PM

Default 2 Strummer songs

Friday nights Deb and I like to relax with a guitar and sing old songs. Last night we had fun recording these two:

Colours by Donovan, and

I Fought The Law by Bobby Fuller.

Both are great songs for strumming and singing along. I used a Taylor GA4 and a Gold Tone OB250 in "Colours," and the GA4 and a Guild F512 in "I Fought The Law."

As always, we hope you enjoy these, and thanks for listening!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-24-2010, 01:51 PM

The banjo is just great in "Colours"! What a pretty feeling it has, really nice version (and suits the fine, sunny weather at the moment!)

The second song is also very well done - really enjoyed it. Always liked that song (both the original and the Clash version) - great to hear what covers you two come up with. Like listening to a great radio station - always a good song coming up, maybe one you haven't heard in a while but are really happy when you hear it again. Really nice stuff!

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 07-24-2010, 01:56 PM

Great job Bob!!! Super job strumming and the harp on Colors was a pleasant little treat. The Harmonies are super as always.

Your version of I Fought the Law ought to be on the radio! I'm not adept at identifying everything I'm hearing. What instruments am I hearing and how many different vocal tracks???

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 07-24-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawlie View Post
The banjo is just great in "Colours"! What a pretty feeling it has, really nice version (and suits the fine, sunny weather at the moment!)

The second song is also very well done - really enjoyed it. Always liked that song (both the original and the Clash version) - great to hear what covers you two come up with. Like listening to a great radio station - always a good song coming up, maybe one you haven't heard in a while but are really happy when you hear it again. Really nice stuff!
Thank you, Shawlie. I was a big Donovan fan back in the 60s and 70s, so we know quite a few of his songs. Although Donovan was folk and folk rock, I think his songs lend themselves to bluegrass instruments very well. Our rendition of "Colours" was inspired by the original and some renditions we found on YouTube, including one where Pete Seeger played banjo here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
Great job Bob!!! Super job strumming and the harp on Colors was a pleasant little treat. The Harmonies are super as always.

Your version of I Fought the Law ought to be on the radio! I'm not adept at identifying everything I'm hearing. What instruments am I hearing and how many different vocal tracks???
Thanks, Roy, for listening and commenting! What you are hearing in "I Fought The Law" is a Taylor GA4 on the left side, a Guild F512 12 string on the right (plays the chord solo, too), a bass, drums and my banjo was used only in the bridge. My lead vocal and Deb's harmony are on 2 tracks (one for each of us) panned to center (actually, Deb is slightly right). The background vocals consist of 2 harmonies, each doubled and panned to each side (4 tracks). So, there are a total of 6 vocal tracks. The guitars and banjo in both songs were mic'd with a pair of dynamic mics (EV ND 767) and recorded stereo using a wide x/y setup. Deb's vocals are through a dynamic EV ND 367, and mine are through a Rode NTI-A. The bass guitar Fender Squier P bass) gets played directly into the recorder as does the drums from a Yamaha PSR-500 keyboard. That's probably more information than you wanted, but that is everything that went into these tracks!!

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Friday nights Deb and I like to relax with a guitar and sing old songs. Last night we had fun recording these two:

Colours by Donovan, and

I Fought The Law by Bobby Fuller.

Both are great songs for strumming and singing along. I used a Taylor GA4 and a Gold Tone OB250 in "Colours," and the GA4 and a Guild F512 in "I Fought The Law."

As always, we hope you enjoy these, and thanks for listening!
Man, that descending run in the intro of "Colours" had me grinning right away.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-24-2010, 11:14 PM

Bob & Deb, its always a pleasure. You folks capture the best of the 60's-70's with an original freshness. Thanks
Old 07-24-2010, 11:44 PM

Those are VERY good!! CD quality IMO!

Jeff
Old 07-25-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
Thank you, Shawlie. I was a big Donovan fan back in the 60s and 70s, so we know quite a few of his songs. Although Donovan was folk and folk rock, I think his songs lend themselves to bluegrass instruments very well. Our rendition of "Colours" was inspired by the original and some renditions we found on YouTube, including one where Pete Seeger played banjo here.

Thanks, Roy, for listening and commenting! What you are hearing in "I Fought The Law" is a Taylor GA4 on the left side, a Guild F512 12 string on the right (plays the chord solo, too), a bass, drums and my banjo was used only in the bridge. My lead vocal and Deb's harmony are on 2 tracks (one for each of us) panned to center (actually, Deb is slightly right). The background vocals consist of 2 harmonies, each doubled and panned to each side (4 tracks). So, there are a total of 6 vocal tracks. The guitars and banjo in both songs were mic'd with a pair of dynamic mics (EV ND 767) and recorded stereo using a wide x/y setup. Deb's vocals are through a dynamic EV ND 367, and mine are through a Rode NTI-A. The bass guitar Fender Squier P bass) gets played directly into the recorder as does the drums from a Yamaha PSR-500 keyboard. That's probably more information than you wanted, but that is everything that went into these tracks!!
No, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I think I'm hearing the doubling of the vocals and harmonies as you always get a "richness and fullness" to your vocals. I'm MOSTLY interested in playing and writing but I do have a strong desire to improve the product after I record it. Thanks Bob I may be back at ya for more info!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Man, that descending run in the intro of "Colours" had me grinning right away.

Fran
Thanks, Fran, I'm glad you liked it! I wish I could take credit for it, but I got it from an unnamed bass player in one of Donovan's YouTube renditions. The bass played that run, so I thought it would be good on the guitar, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Bob & Deb, its always a pleasure. You folks capture the best of the 60's-70's with an original freshness. Thanks
Thank you, Mesa! Yeah, the 60s and 70s are my era for music. I like some of the 80s and 90s, but I was most active learning songs and playing gigs in the 70s, so that dominates my repertoire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstpicker View Post

Jeff
Thank you, Jeff! I appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
No, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I think I'm hearing the doubling of the vocals and harmonies as you always get a "richness and fullness" to your vocals. I'm MOSTLY interested in playing and writing but I do have a strong desire to improve the product after I record it. Thanks Bob I may be back at ya for more info!!
Cool, and thanks! I never double the lead vocal, but almost always double backup/background vocals. Also, I seldom double Deb's vocals unless she is singing background rather than direct harmony with the lead.

ReverbNation (originals)

Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fstpicker View Post

Jeff

Ditto! Nicely done!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:13 AM

Thanks for listening, Ryan! Nice to see you back, my friend!

ReverbNation (originals)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell