The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-25-2010, 08:36 PM

Default Stand by Me/Beautiful Girl Cover

So I did a cover of Stand by Me and Beautiful girls mixed. It's not perfect by any means and this is the first time I've posted a video of my singing so be gentle on the critique haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlF1L4cWtJM

Thanks for looking. Skip to 21 seconds to skip my talking.
Old 07-26-2010, 05:14 AM

Not bad! You've got good vocal pitch and control, and your guitar playing got smoother as you progressed through the song(s). It also looks like you're having fun, so that is a major plus! Be careful of pronunciation when singing. Added sounds and syllables like "ah" at the end or beginning of words may feel jazzy when you sing them, but those additions can make the words difficult to understand. You didn't do it too much, but I am bringing it up because it can become a habit and get excessive if not checked; then you will sound like Larry the Lounge Lizard singer, and that's not a good thing! Thanks for sharing your video!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 07-26-2010, 10:42 AM

Thanks bob for the advice! I definitely try my best to have fun when I go through songs
Old 07-27-2010, 04:16 AM

Nice job!! I'm glad Bob pointed that out about the syllables because I heard it but would not have been able to point it out. Good playing and singing. I tell you what I like the best. I like that you have a good voice and "let it rip". That's hard to do and I'm still afraid to do it so you have a good voice and great confidence!! Keep them coming.

Why don't you do a longer version, where you go back to Stand by Me after Beautiful Girls. Just tossing ideas out here, but if you went back and forth between songs and maybe even start the song in the traditional tempo of Stand by Me then sort of jump to Beautiful Girls and when you go back to Stand By Me, THEN play it in the up-tempo form that you do, it will be a bit of a surprise and may sound interesting. If you go back and forth a couple of times you could "book end" the songs with traditional Stand by Me. Sort of begin it and end it with the traditional tempo. ORRRRrrrrrr you could go back to studying!!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell