The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 PM

Default question from a newbie

Hi everyone, my first post to this forum. I recently decided I would like to try and build my own acoustic guitar, and so I have a ton of questions....but I'll start with this one. A lot of posts in these build forums refer to brand names ( Mayes, Ryan, etc), when obviously the poster is building his own guitar and not from a kit either. So does this refer to the shapes of the guitar, or the blueprints for it? or what? Obviously it was not built by the company in question so in what sense is it a 'Mayes'? Am I making any sense?

thanks
Simon
Old 05-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raresaturn View Post
Hi everyone, my first post to this forum. I recently decided I would like to try and build my own acoustic guitar, and so I have a ton of questions....but I'll start with this one. A lot of posts in these build forums refer to brand names ( Mayes, Ryan, etc), when obviously the poster is building his own guitar and not from a kit either. So does this refer to the shapes of the guitar, or the blueprints for it? or what? Obviously it was not built by the company in question so in what sense is it a 'Mayes'? Am I making any sense?

thanks
Simon
typically the last name of the builder....in this case many here are very well established one man shops. Here's a very good list compiled by Matt Mustapick, an excellent builder himself...

http://mustapickguitars.com/links/links.php

Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 AM

Hi Simon,

Are you referring to the build threads in this Custom Shop section? If so, then your misunderstanding may be in thinking that when someone is posting a Ryan build or a Mayes, that the poster is actually the builder of the guitar. In most instances, the poster is having a guitar built for him/her by the named builder (Ryan, Mayes, etc.) with customized specifications.

Occasionally, the builders themselves may post a build thread to share their current creations...sometimes its because the client they are building for is not a Forum member (so there wouldn't be a build thread started), or it may be a "spec" guitar - a guitar the builder is creating that has not been ordered by anyone in particular. Sometimes these spec guitars will be sold by the builder, or they will be consigned to a dealer who will sell them for the builder.

Hope this answered your question....Aloha,

Hen
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

As others have noted, a "Ryan Build" or "Mayes Build" does not refer to the desingn specificaitons of the guitar, but to who is actually building it.

If you were a custom builder and I asked you to build me a guitar, I may post a thread here titled "My Simon Build", shorthand for "I am having a guitar built by Simon. Here is a discussion about the process, what woods I am using, what size/ design I've asked him to build me, some pictures of the guitar being built, etc.etc.etc."

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 05-26-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:41 PM

You might also try checking out fora dedicated solely to luthiery...Official Luthiers Forum and Musical Instrument Makers Forum are dedicated sites that welcome first time builders as well as old pros.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 PM

Welcome to the Forum! We have another forum titled DIY which you might find interesting. It is described as "Guitar building discussions - acoustic and electric, tips and techniques, CAD/CAM, Laser, alternative materials and advanced technology."
Old 05-26-2010, 06:34 PM

Thanks for clearing that up..I assumed people were building their own rather than having them built. Make more sense now!

regards,
Simon
Old 05-26-2010, 09:24 PM

Simon,
When you start building one, why not post it in the DIY section?
Many people here are interested in watching the progress of a build, including one by a first timer.
When I did mine, I got tons of encouragement, and that helped me along and hopefully helped make mine better than it would have been. There are very nice people here who will also help you in your quest.
Best of luck,
Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop