The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-03-2024, 11:15 AM

Default IRs with Zoom G11

Gentlemen/Ladies:

I am a semi-pro (1-2 small venue, 100-200pp, gigs per month) member of an acoustic trio. I recently acquired a Zoom G11 to toy with when I dabble in electric playing and was introduced to IRs. While I own 2 Martin's with Aura plus, I have never tried to use IRs thru a pedal or outboard device. I also have a Godin A6 Ultra (UST and neck humbucker) that I was able to get a decent studio sound but when I tried it live Friday night, it sounded so "boxy", I disconnected G1 1 and went thru PlayAcoustic into Fishman LB Performer, DI to PA. Sounded "normal". My questions are:

1. Do I HAVE to use an IR specifically derived from the guitar with which I perform?

2. Am I correct in understanding that it is impossible or discouraged to use an IR with a humbucking PU?

3. If answer to #1 is NO, am I wasting my time trying to use an IR/G11 path with an onboard Aura 1 plus? (After more research, now seems redundant/troublesome)

4. Lastly, since A6 Ultra is not an "acoustic" guitar, is it advisable to pursue finding an IR to "match"

Sorry, one more:

5. On the G11, is there any advice on setting, path, etc. I am using IR, HPF set 220H , LPF set around 7.5KH, Reverb and a very clean Low, Low gain amp with mids and bass rolled down significantly.

Thanks in advance and heartfelt thanks to all the smart folks that understand this concept and are willing to share there knowledge kindly and humbly without any pretense or attitude. It's amazing the amount of generosity these people show! Thank you more than I can express!

Peace!!!
Old 03-03-2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFreeland View Post
1. Do I HAVE to use an IR specifically derived from the guitar with which I perform?
It is much better. You can use other IRs, but you'd better try many to find a good match. That is why the Fishman Aura pedals have a full database of Aura Images specifying bodyshapes, wood, pickups... That's also reason why I entered all those parameters in my free database. (See signature)

When choosing an IR you MUST take into account that LIVE sound is different from HOME.

Quote:
2. Am I correct in understanding that it is impossible or discouraged to use an IR with a humbucking PU?
It is not impossible... It does not make as much sens. When you are using a magnetic pickup you don't benefit from the phase correction so it's just some kind of elaborate EQ... You won't get the "WOW" factor of the piezo quack disappearing. In my opinion a mag pickup benefits better from a good EQ.

Quote:
3. If answer to #1 is NO, am I wasting my time trying to use an IR/G11 path with an onboard Aura 1 plus? (After more research, now seems redundant/troublesome)
If you already have an Aura 1+, you already have IR onboard. I suggest to read the manual and EQ both the pickup and IR path to get the best of it. It is almost the best IR pickup to date... But it requires carefull tuning...

Quote:
4. Lastly, since A6 Ultra is not an "acoustic" guitar, is it advisable to pursue finding an IR to "match"
Try IRs from the database and apply it to the undersaddle pickup. You might find something that works for you.
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Quote:
Sorry, one more:
5. On the G11, is there any advice on setting, path, etc. I am using IR, HPF set 220H , LPF set around 7.5KH, Reverb and a very clean Low, Low gain amp with mids and bass rolled down significantly.
HPF is very important with IRs from my website. Because the mic sound always have a huge 100 Hz boost due to the soundhole radiating at that frequency (Something a pickup does not sens and the IR tries to recreate)

You can also set a parametric filter at that frequency to tame this frequency.

Tonedexter has a very elegent way to do it with a single pot

Believe me, if Tonedexter 1v2 firmware added that... it is because it is useful.
Note that Fishman handles the low end differently.

Finally and MOST IMPORTANT, you need to implement a BLEND. That was one of the first request made by Tonedexter users.

You can generate your IR with blended setup (with and % of dry signal) just modifying the code
https://colab.research.google.com/dr...ik?usp=sharing

The line
Code:
IR3=(IRX+IR2)/2
makes a 50/50 blended IR.

If you turn it into
Code:
IR3=0.8*IRX+0.2*IR2
you'll get 80% IR and 20% Dry.

you can also pm me a message with a link to a drive with your chosen IR file. I'll make you a set of blended files when I have the time.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification