The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-01-2018, 09:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald Amicus

If this has been discussed, someone please link me there..

What’s your take on the Amicus model from Emerald? It’s intriguing. It’s the concept that Joe veillette has been doing for many years with his Gryphon models of a tiny body 12 string (6 unison pairs) tuned high to D which creates an amazing voice that gives you a wonderful sound spectrum somewhere in the world of mandola/mandolin but still played with traditional guitar fingerings and a pretty easy transposition point for most people.

I had a Gryphon for a couple years and did love what it gave me for a different voice for jams and also a creative tool to bring out totally different tunes. Fun to see another maker with this same instrument. Not sure if CF will bring more or less with it in such a small instrument, but probably will be a great one.

Price tag isn’t crazy for what it is. Veillette has their import models with a street price of $1200usd and their USA one-offs like $5k. There’s one in stock at Emerald now with a price of $1895. That’s a good price for what it is relative to the only competition I know of.

Anyone thinking about getting one? Have one already? Played one?
Old 09-02-2018, 05:47 AM

I just happen to have one around here somewhere...anyway.. I think it is a fun cool instrument. Great lil strummer and sounds cool plugged in. I don't play it a lot as I think I have too many other guitars that get jealous plus I play piano a lot for some reason.
Prolly great in a BlueGrass band
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-02-2018, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

I had the opportunity to play Kramster's Amicus earlier this year - what a fun instrument! Can't help but smile when playing it.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Guest 928

Gr:

There has been a great deal of discussion regarding this instruments. I think you'd get to most of that through a search of this site. It's an amazing instrument and I've heard no negative reports.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:36 PM

I also have an Amicus. It is fun to play and I enjoy it but it doesn't get as much playing time as my other instruments.
Barb
Old 09-02-2018, 02:48 PM

Brilliant instrument. I have played multiple Farmer’s Markets this summer with a Chapman Stick and the Amicus. It is a unique voice and plays like a dream. It gets a great reaction - a guitar player came up at my last gig and we did a duet - she loved it! I tune it in drop C.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:15 AM

After years of wanting one of these, I finally sent my order in.
What are you all doing for string replacements? Two sets of normal guitar strings?
Also, has anyone tried a Tonewood Amp with one?

I've been playing around with a capo on my X7 to see if the note range is something usable for me and it's been a lot of fun coming up with all sorts of ideas. The Emerald addiction is real. :-)
Old 02-28-2020, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

I play nylon string guitars only..........

.........except for my Amicus
Old 02-28-2020, 03:12 PM

There is this, not an Amicus but I still think the TWA would fit on the back of that instrument no problem

Last edited by steelvibe; 02-28-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:24 PM

Hi ACWild,
This is the information I got when I got my Amicus:
D'Addario EXP13 Coated 80/20 Bronze, Custom Light, 11-52: Referred to as Custom Light,

- String Gauges: Plain Steel .011, .015, Bronze Wound .022, .032, .042, .052

NOTE: Order two sets of these strings, or similar gauges, and discard the two low E strings. Then for the two highest strings we recommend to use .008 or .009 strings. In the factory we use .0085 NY Steel, but these may be hard to source.

Happy stringing,
Barb
Old 02-28-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
There is this, not an Amicus but I still think the TWA would fit on the back of that instrument no problem

I’m not worried about it sitting outside, it’s the magnetic x-bar going inside that I’m wondering about. The sound hole looks big enough in pictures but being that it’s a smaller guitar, I’m not sure.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb1 View Post
Hi ACWild,
This is the information I got when I got my Amicus:
D'Addario EXP13 Coated 80/20 Bronze, Custom Light, 11-52: Referred to as Custom Light,

- String Gauges: Plain Steel .011, .015, Bronze Wound .022, .032, .042, .052

NOTE: Order two sets of these strings, or similar gauges, and discard the two low E strings. Then for the two highest strings we recommend to use .008 or .009 strings. In the factory we use .0085 NY Steel, but these may be hard to source.

Happy stringing,
Barb
Thanks Barb1! Emerald sent me info about a string set that you can order from them but they’re sold out. It seems to be a bit of a chore if I have to buy two sets of strings and two individual high strings just to do a string change. :-)
Old 02-28-2020, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwild View Post
Thanks Barb1! Emerald sent me info about a string set that you can order from them but they’re sold out. It seems to be a bit of a chore if I have to buy two sets of strings and two individual high strings just to do a string change. :-)
While searching for strings for my X20-7, I came across this set for the Amicus from Newtone. They are also out of stock currently, but it represents another option (unless, of course, it's what Emerald would supply as well )

https://newtonestrings.com/shop/emer...son-12-string/
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-28-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
I play nylon string guitars only..........

.........except for my Amicus
You saved yourself on this one!! Nice
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 02-28-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
While searching for strings for my X20-7, I came across this set for the Amicus from Newtone. They are also out of stock currently, but it represents another option (unless, of course, it's what Emerald would supply as well )

https://newtonestrings.com/shop/emer...son-12-string/
Thanks! That’s the link that Emerald sent me. Since they’re out, I’m gonna use their guidelines and order two sets with these gauges.

“ String set for the Emerald Amicus guitars tuned in unison:

D -.008 .008
A -.010 .010
F -.015 .015
C -.022 .022w
G -.032 .032
D -.042 .042

Phosphor Bronze on a Round core”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber