The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2021, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Almost all of them! Nearly 40 guitars going back 10 years. But I only keep a few at a time. I have a strict policy that if it doesn't get played, it doesn't stay. Early on it was only two, a keeper and a trader. Then as I actually got good enough to play out (gig) I found I needed a few for different types of playing or environments so that went up to three which is now my sweet spot. A gigging guitar, a backup/travel/all weather guitar and then a fine example of acoustic perfection that never leaves the house.

It's been the same with amps and other guitar-related accessories. But unlike it being a case that AGF has hurt me by exposing me to so much information, I feel like I've gotten a lifetime of exposure in just a few years that has allowed me to really distill down my exact wants and needs so I can acquire the very best equipment for me. Sure, I could get away with just about anything but instead I have gear that is perfect for what I do. Oh, and it's been a wicked blast taking this journey. I miss it some ways, and in others I don't.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:06 AM

I'm sure I became aware of Eastmans thru the AGF
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 07-30-2021, 08:12 AM

Well technically I found this forum while shopping for a guitar online last summer, so I’m going to say that one doesn’t count. But since then… um, I plead the 5th amendment, lol.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:21 AM

Nada, zilch, nuttin'.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:34 AM

Oddly, no acoustic guitars have been harmed via my reading about them here and then purchasing them.

I did purchase a big double-cutaway, full hollow-body Gretsch electric archtop (one of the Korean-sourced Electromatic line) and a electric bass amp (Fender Rumble 100) based significantly on Steve DeRosa's posts.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-30-2021, 09:37 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I have to add my Seagull folk to my earlier list. I had wanted an inexpensive smaller guitar to take on vacation and many here recommend Seagull so I ordered it online. I think that was back in 2007-8ish

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-30-2021, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Not AGF specifically but in the wild and wooly days of RMMGA I bought a couple of things that were touted there - armrests, pickups, etc.; and, as I mentioned in another thread, I even bought a “fingerstyle guitar” on the basis of what I read there.

That experience has given me a healthy skepticism of anything I’ve read here. So no, I do not own a forty dollar pick or hundred dollar capo.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Yes, absolutely. My only guitar for a long time was a Taylor GS Mini and I was doing fine with it. But then someone on here was looking for a guitar and someone else told him that the Mini had too short of a scale length for a beginner and that he would be better off with something that had a longer scale length, at least 25". So that planted the seed and it just took root. I kept wondering if my Mini was holding me back. Then one day in February I was in the music store and a Yamaha on the wall caught my attention. I was reading the specs and it said that the scale length was 25". I liked it well enough, it wasn't particularly expensive, and I was thinking that the guy on AGF said so, so I bought it. I took it home, played it a month and went back to the Mini. Since then I hardly play it at all, but occasionally I will be reading something here and grab it off the wall to give it another chance. It is usually short lived and then back to the Mini. Right now, this week, I've been giving it a chance. We will see where that goes. Also, just after I bought it someone here was talking about the same guitar and referring to it as a short scale length. I can't win.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 07-30-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Yes, absolutely. My only guitar for a long time was a Taylor GS Mini and I was doing fine with it. But then someone on here was looking for a guitar and someone else told him that the Mini had too short of a scale length for a beginner and that he would be better off with something that had a longer scale length, at least 25".
Oy vey... The best scale length is what works best for your body, arm, and hand.

For many beginners, short scale guitars like a GS Mini are great because they have lower string tension and don't make the fingers hurt as much. But that only applies for the first few weeks until calluses are built up, and you can make up for it on a long-scale guitar by putting on extra light strings.... so... yeah.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:26 AM

I check reviews here before purchasing Archtops and Electrics, funny but for Acoustics I just follow my nose and heart. The prices that folks toss around here are car or motorcycle down payments or purchases, lol.

If I was young and an up and comer I would purchase a top of the line tool, but I am an old retired hobbyist that enjoys all types of affordable to me guitars.

IBANEZ AE-305
IBANEZ AF-75JBB
IBANEZ AFG-95
IBANEZ AFC-95
IBANEZ LGB-30
ALVAREZ MD60EBG
MARTIN D-10E-02
Old 07-30-2021, 10:42 AM

Cool Additional Hobby. Cycling.

Only my 00-15M is AGF-influenced. The rest of my other guitar purchases are because I follow a guitar reviewer, who was already not active in AGF when I joined AGF in 2018. I have since sold 5 guitars.

My interest in reading posts and hanging around here in AGF has dwindled because my interest in cycling has been revived. It has made me fitter and I feel healthier. I still enjoy playing my guitars but less than I used to.
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 07-30-2021, 11:01 AM

Two for me:
  1. My Rainsong Shorty SG. I bought it only after reading positive reviews here
  2. My Waterloo WL-12MH. I read many positive reviews on Waterloo prior to shopping
Old 07-30-2021, 06:35 PM

My Pono was entirely. Both learned about, and then purchased through the classifieds. I’m so sad I got in at the end of the Pono heyday.
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 07-30-2021, 07:26 PM

5 of 7 guitars bought based on some information from the forum. There are others I didn’t buy for one reason or another from information I’ve learned on the forum.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:15 AM

To my surprise, this forum led me to take another look at the Martin SC-13e, which I've really been enjoying.

I initially dismissed this guitar as something that would NEVER interest me, and I was surprised to see some favorable reviews of it here which led me back to it - on a site where I assumed that a bunch of stodgy old acoustic guitar farts would ridicule a funny shaped Mexican made guitar with a bolt on neck and "layered" back and sides (although there were a few commenters who validated that assumption too).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion