The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-27-2021, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindboyjimi View Post
I just sent Bob Colosi 2 nuts, 2 saddles and 2 sets of pins [...] I should have them tomorrow! I’ve used Antique Acoustic (vintage Martins and Gibsons) or Colosi pins in all my guitars.
Thanks, bbj.

This guitar is nothing exotic or vintage, so I can't justify Bob Colosi's exceptional products and service. But I'll hold onto the information for future reference.

Last edited by BothHands; 07-28-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BothHands View Post
Thanks, Kyle215. I've been thinking along those lines, too. If I could get pins that are extra long, I could probably insert the tail end into my drill press chuck and spin them while holding a small sanding block against the side. Then cut off the extra length.

Lots of opportunities for mistakes, and lots of stopping, checking the fit and sanding a little more. But it would work. If I do that, I think I'll have to buy TWO sets to end up with six useable pins.

"A good man knows his limitations."
~ Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry Callahan

Maybe stick one end into a power drill and tape down a piece of sandpaper, and let the drill roll the end pin over the sandpaper… sort of like a lathe. would take a steady hand but might speed the process.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:53 AM

Default Killing Two Birds with One Stone: JLD Bridge Doctor #3695

Well, I found an honest local tech who clued me in to a somewhat advanced belly in my guitar's lower bout, which apparently raised the saddle (no noticeable change in several years).

Since the buh-luddy bridge pins are so blasted "mysterious and vexxing" I may try the JLD Bridge Doctor with brass bridge pins to solve both problems. Woohoo!

The JLD approach is a new topic, so I posted an entirely new thread.

Please take a look and tell me what you think.

Last edited by BothHands; 07-30-2021 at 11:34 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bridge pin sizes, one-of-each, pin gauges, test set