The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-30-2021, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Looking good! That shop is on my short list of favorite places to be!

If anyone has ideas for case storage once your kids' closets and under their beds are full I'm all ears.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:39 PM

Can't believe how much you got done in a day. Kinnaird West must be drinking a lot of coffee. Maybe the 00 should be called the BT or RT model...just sayin!
Old 03-30-2021, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Day two is in the books. It was a long day, and I'm at a loss for words. However, I must say that I enjoyed the evening out with entire Kinnaird West family.

Thanks to all who are following along and who have replied.

After a cup of coffee then a short drive to the shop, we got busy and bent and glued kerfed lining.

Carved the back braces that we glued on yesterday.

Then braced and rough carved the top.

Then Ryan made me work for my lunch.

Last edited by nootis; 04-04-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

After lunch we drilled for the tuners.

We also drilled the bolt holes for the neck.

Routed the sound port.

Routed the slots for the braces in order for the back to rest evenly on the rims.

Added a slab of bacon to that sandwich Steve and I made yesterday.

Last step of the day was to glue the back to the rims and to make sure that it can't escape.

Old 03-30-2021, 10:20 PM

I'm late to the party but wanted to say congrats on joining the Kinnaird student build alumni! Your choice of woods is impeccable and with the 12 fret 00 size, I have no doubt it will be a winner and meet both your goals. I know mine has-I stare at it every day and it captures the sounds I have in my head.

Kudos to Tom for paying respect to Mr. Bob Tucker for if not for him, we wouldn't have the 00 option in the Kinnaird lineup. I believe Bob's 00 used Indonesian RW for the back and sides.
Old 03-31-2021, 07:33 AM

Default Amazing progress!

You should go to work for them full time, Nootis: they get a lot more done when you're around. Just think, Steve - crank out 50 guitars a year!

What incredible fun this must be, despite the physical exhaustion. I couldn't do it, for a number of reasons, foremost because Steve would have had to take me to the emergency room at least twice at this point.
Old 03-31-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpolineni View Post
I'm late to the party but wanted to say congrats on joining the Kinnaird student build alumni! Your choice of woods is impeccable and with the 12 fret 00 size, I have no doubt it will be a winner and meet both your goals. I know mine has-I stare at it every day and it captures the sounds I have in my head.

Kudos to Tom for paying respect to Mr. Bob Tucker for if not for him, we wouldn't have the 00 option in the Kinnaird lineup. I believe Bob's 00 used Indonesian RW for the back and sides.

You are exactly correct and I was mistaken. The Sycamore was a beautiful little parlor and his last build was the OO made from Colorado Blue Spruce/Indonesian Rosewood. I pulled up the thread Steve and Ryan did in honor of Bob describing some of Bob's and Kinnaird West's favorite builds out of his 11 I believe. RIP PK (rest in peace playing Kinnairds) Bob.

I remember a post where Bob was laughing about being in the shop and being allowed to do some sanding, which he said was about the extent of his wood working abilites. My wouldn't he have loved this thread.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
You are exactly correct and I was mistaken. The Sycamore was a beautiful little parlor and his last build was the OO made from Colorado Blue Spruce/Indonesian Rosewood. I pulled up the thread Steve and Ryan did in honor of Bob describing some of Bob's and Kinnaird West's favorite builds out of his 11 I believe. RIP PK (rest in peace playing Kinnairds) Bob.

I remember a post where Bob was laughing about being in the shop and being allowed to do some sanding, which he said was about the extent of his wood working abilites. My wouldn't he have loved this thread.
Right you are, Tom. Bob was a huge fan of the 12-fret 00, and introduced me to the model back in ‘77. I am chagrined it took me so long to introduce that sweet little guitar to our lineup.

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 03-31-2021, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

My most recent addition is this little 00 beast. There's nothing like a 00 that sounds big, full, fat, and explosive. Especially when it's got a set of koa like this!

Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 03-31-2021, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Nacogdoches Student Build

Before we get to it, I would like to also thank Bob. I learned a bit more about him today, and not only did he commission 11 guitars he also encouraged others to have guitars built by the shop and subsidized several others. It sounds like he was a wonderful and generous man, and from what I gather, the fact that I'm able to visit and build in the Kinnaird shop might not have been possible without the likes of Bob. He kept the boys busy!

So now that I'm part of the shop I have to earn my keep: A recent offspring to Kinnaird OO model that was supposed to debut at B.I.G. 2020 is still available in the Marketplace.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=577464

Steve and Ryan let me borrow it for the night, and holy smokes, is this guitar nice! It has a full sound and is so comfy to snuggle up with. Just a stellar little guitar. I hope mine will sound half as good as this one.

Last edited by nootis; 04-04-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Nacogdoches Student Build

Even though I'm skipping work this week, Day 3 was a workday!

Started out trimming the back flush to the sides.

Next up was carving and scalloping top braces. This was fun, but tedious. The time flew by as this step lasted until lunch.

Billie’s wonderful hearty lunch came in handy next as Vasu's favorite step had me doing The Watusi.

We signed the top!

Here I am cutting my fretboard. As I'm concentrating on staying outside the line, I can feel Steve's hairs on his arms tingling and his eyes widening as I'm probably getting a little too close.

We signed and placed the label and got one last look at the open box.

Finally the last step before we had to close the shop was to close the box.

Will report back tomorrow for some more progress. Thanks for following along.

Last edited by nootis; 03-31-2021 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:53 PM

PTSD. That was my reply to Ryan when he sent the picture of you driving the bus. You are doing great but with two days left I should warn you-next week is going to suck. Big time.

Btw, your fretboard looks amazing! Great choice for that and the rosette. The double X design used for bracing works really well on this design, you're going to be thrilled. We'll have to compare our builds at B.I.G. Actually, between our builds and John's, we may need our own table (are you listening Tom???)! I have a sneaky suspicion there will be plenty to show from Kinnaird west at the festival.
Old 04-01-2021, 05:57 AM
Music soothes the soul!

This is just outrageously fun to watch! Congrats Dan! Everything is looking stupendous!
Old 04-01-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpolineni View Post
PTSD. That was my reply to Ryan when he sent the picture of you driving the bus. You are doing great but with two days left I should warn you-next week is going to suck. Big time.

Btw, your fretboard looks amazing! Great choice for that and the rosette. The double X design used for bracing works really well on this design, you're going to be thrilled. We'll have to compare our builds at B.I.G. Actually, between our builds and John's, we may need our own table (are you listening Tom???)! I have a sneaky suspicion there will be plenty to show from Kinnaird west at the festival.
Oh I am listening, but not paying attention LOL!
Old 04-01-2021, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Looking good, Dan--that redwood top looks amazing!

Looking so forward to seeing this puppy at BIGer!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop