The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2021, 05:03 PM

I always love the people that say "my_____works in healthcare and they see all these injured motorcyclists". Um....yup. That's because when a motorcyclist gets injured they seek out healthcare workers. You know who they don't see? All the motorcyclists who did not seek medical attention that day.

And the trash man sees lots of empty milk cartons. So what?

I am not going to tempt fate and say motorcycling is not dangerous. I have been riding 55 years with not that many injuries but c'mon folks......for some people riding a motorcycle really clears their head out.

I always tell people that playing/learning guitar and riding a motorcycle is, for me, very similar. When I do either of these hobbies they require my absolute undivided attention. I cannot be thinking about work, news or anything else.

If you want to sell the bike.....sell the bike. But I am more inclined to think if you don't need yet another guitar the college fund gets my vote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post
I always love the people that say "my_____works in healthcare and they see all these injured motorcyclists". Um....yup. That's because when a motorcyclist gets injured they seek out healthcare workers. You know who they don't see? All the motorcyclists who did not seek medical attention that day.

And the trash man sees lots of empty milk cartons. So what?

I am not going to tempt fate and say motorcycling is not dangerous. I have been riding 55 years with not that many injuries but c'mon folks......for some people riding a motorcycle really clears their head out.

I always tell people that playing/learning guitar and riding a motorcycle is, for me, very similar. When I do either of these hobbies they require my absolute undivided attention. I cannot be thinking about work, news or anything else.

If you want to sell the bike.....sell the bike. But I am more inclined to think if you don't need yet another guitar the college fund gets my vote

Witnessing the aftermath of a motorcycle accident has a bit more gravitas then seeing loads of empty milk bottles, but I get your point.

And yes, the money will most likely be incorporated into my daughters future funds.

With that said, I have several folks who contacted me about the bike. I’m going out for a spin today before I set up a meet-up.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-30-2021, 06:01 AM

I definitely get everyone's point with regard to making decisions based on what is good for your current level of responsibility to others in your life.

I got married for the first time at 50 years old. Had my first child at 52. Sold my motorcycle within a month of holding him for the first time. For just the reason you are considering selling your bike. Your children need you. In total agreement.

Bought another bike within a year. Because after a careful cost/benefit analysis I figured he needs a dad who is happy and emotionally well balanced.

I have a number of hobbies that keep me happy and emotionally well balanced. Motorcycling is one of them.

I see lots of parents who pursue different lifestyle choices that affect their children in both positive and negative ways. I don't think my Saturday morning
"quiet time" on my motorcycle is going to affect him that poorly.

On the other hand some here have talked about friends on motorcycles getting
hurt while commuting. I definitely think commuting on a motorcycle is
insanity and would never even consider it. Just like I would never consider riding a motorcycle impaired.

There are lies, **** lies and then there are statistics. Ask your wife how many motorcyclists she sees in the ER who were drunk or helmetless or wearing shorts and sandals.

The danger of doing anything can be minimized by the right equipment, planning and being prudent. Yes, you are much more exposed and therefore vulnerable on a motorcycle. But not necessarily in more danger.

This has been fun. LOL
Old 07-30-2021, 06:07 AM

As a side note I have ridden western North Carolina and Tennessee mountains for many years and it is arguably the most beautiful place on the planet to ride a motorcycle.

Speaking on my own behalf if I lived full time in Asheville there would be absolutely no way I could live there without a motorcycle.

Will check back in a couple years to see what you are riding. LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion