The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-24-2021, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Who makes great TRADITIONAL OM/000 guitars.

I have recently bought a Martin 000-28EC and have been really impressed with it. I know that any factory-made instrument can be a bit hit/miss but I absolutely LOVE the feel and style and details (such as the volute on the back of the headstock, the shape, the simplicity)...

So, if I wanted to explore a really good traditional OM/000 (I mean one which would share body shape and dimensions with a Marin 000/OM) what would you suggest I look at commissioning. I know of a few good ones (although haven't played them all) such as - Pre-War, Collings then up from there to Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, Franklin, Circa...

What are your thoughts and what else is there is and what's really good (or not)?
Martin OM-28 Authentic '31
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster
National Delphi Resonator

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 06-24-2021, 07:46 AM

How about this guy?
http://www.stephenkinnaird.com/models.html
Old 06-24-2021, 07:50 AM

My Edmonds OM28 is the best sounding and playing OM I've ever played, and his pricing is ridiculously good. I know Scotso recently posted about one he played amongst several high end guitars and it was a stand out. I've had several high end Martin OM/000 models, as well as Collings, Huss and Dalton, Santa Cruz, Bourgeois, etc. Edmonds takes the cake for me.
Old 06-24-2021, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
The demo one sounds delightful (rather a dodgy headlock design though don't you think?)
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Past guitars from: Mear & Gray, Tom Sands, Stefan Sobell, Dana Bourgeois, Marc Beneteau, Nigel Forster, Peter Abnett, Avalon, Lowden, Martin (vintage & modern), Gibson, Taylor, Yamaha, Fender and more...
Old 06-24-2021, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
The demo one sounds delightful (rather a dodgy headlock design though don't you think?)
I found him very friendly and responsive when I emailed with him. If you are interested, send him an email. Ask if he offers a different headstock shape.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

For a traditionally styled, handbuilt OM, you might want to consider Leo Posch. His base price is $4500, and his base model includes things like Red spruce, Waverly tuners, stainless steel frets, hot hide glue, etc.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-24-2021, 08:30 AM

It seems to me that most luthiers use Martin as their baseline body shape and size with variations for each luthier. You can not go wrong with any of the luthier sponsors on this forum. Since Steve has been mentioned, he builds a fantastic guitar of which I own several. The headstock looks good to me, not sure what Dodgy means, but doesn't sound good. You could ask for a squared off Martin style I am sure. I for one, like the curves of the Kinnaird headstock.
Old 06-24-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski View Post
I have recently bought a Martin 000-28EC and have been really impressed with it. I know that any factory-made instrument can be a bit hit/miss but I absolutely LOVE the feel and style and details (such as the volute on the back of the headstock, the shape, the simplicity)...
I've played maybe 10 - 000-28ECs and 2 or 3 of those were some of the best guitars I've played, including those from high end builders. And I've found that that model is consistently very good.

I think you'd have a hard time beating them if that's the kind of tone you're after.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:54 AM

I love my OM built by Jayson Bowerman. He is a quality human being building fantastic guitars.
Old 06-24-2021, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

I now own a wonderful OM-28 replica built by Joe Konkoly (head repairman @ Elderly Instruments). It is built to 1930 specs with bar frets, banjo tuners, etc,

It is truly a great guitar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0535B.jpg (42.3 KB, 654 views)
Old 06-24-2021, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
I've played maybe 10 - 000-28ECs and 2 or 3 of those were some of the best guitars I've played, including those from high end builders. And I've found that that model is consistently very good.

I think you'd have a hard time beating them if that's the kind of tone you're after.
That's really interesting that you've found them to be consistently good (I'm pleased) and certainly for the price this one represents very good value for money.

I guess though with me it's a little bit of the "shiny new object" going on. I always seem to really enjoy the latest purchase!
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 06-24-2021, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredsj200 View Post
I now own a wonderful OM-28 replica built by Joe Konkoly (head repairman @ Elderly Instruments). It is built to 1930 specs with bar frets, banjo tuners, etc,

It is truly a great guitar.
That is absolutely gorgeous. You are very lucky.
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 06-24-2021, 02:39 PM

I think you know there is only one builder who won't let you down... (I see from your list that you haven't owned one, shocking).

I'll be playing a new OM for Clive Carroll in the next few days! But don't tell him.

Jonny
Old 06-24-2021, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymosco View Post
I think you know there is only one builder who won't let you down... (I see from your list that you haven't owned one, shocking).

I'll be playing a new OM for Clive Carroll in the next few days! But don't tell him.

Jonny
Yeah I know...they're very "nice" but to be honest I've played only a few that have real personality. Chris W's madrose OM is incredible and I would certainly have that!
Mear & Gray OM18
Martin 0-28vs
Stephen Eden Crossover
Hahn 228 Telecaster

YouTube

Old 06-24-2021, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

A whole lot of people. For a really traditional sound, Blazer and Henkes is great. For a iteration on that sound . . . and perhaps my favorite builder of all time . . . John Slobod. There's a Blazer OM-28 at Schoenberg that I think really captures the vintage OM-28 vibe well.

A lot of builders will do a modified version of that sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop