The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-30-2021, 05:09 PM

You could buy 2 gorgeous woody Emeralds with the price asked for that used Cargo. Ridiculous, they aren't that nice....

Unless that was listed by someone here in which case the asking price is perfect
Old 08-02-2021, 05:34 AM

I was searching for CA dreadnoughts for sale yesterday, pretty slim pickings.
A relative of mine has a daughter who is a missionary in Madagascar, and the humidity destroyed her last guitar. A carbon fiber guitar seems like it would be the cat's meow over there...
Old 08-05-2021, 08:59 AM

Glad I still have my original Cargo.. the star of the old “Cargoians” episodes.. and an OX .. my friend still has the Cargo I gave him and the 12 string and GXi that he bought and plays a lot ..
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-05-2021, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Glad I still have my original Cargo.. the star of the old “Cargoians” episodes.. and an OX .. my friend still has the Cargo I gave him and the 12 string and GXi that he bought and plays a lot ..
There is certainly a possibility that Cargos will become increasingly rare since:

1. They are rumored to be no longer in production.

Oh well, life goes on and on and on...

Tony

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-17-2021 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Not allowed.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:00 PM
Guest 928

Some pretty funny stuff here, thanks for the good morning humor.
Old 12-16-2021, 03:27 PM

I haven't read all the pages here, but I've gigged regularly with a CA GX with the Fishman system in it for almost ten years now and it's been a dream of a guitar for me in virtually every way. So I was curious when I ran across this thread... CA's site IS still up as you may know, but every single one of the models on their site says it's "discontinued." They may not be "out of business," but when you don't offer any products for sale, you might as well be. I agree that their marketing and branding have been a little suspect, too, over the years. But I've been super happy with my GX, for what it's worth, and I don't plan on parting with it.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 12-17-2021, 06:23 AM

So...I used to have two CA Legacy dreadnoughts, both bought here pre-owned.

The first one was donated to a charity auction several years ago.
The second one is bound for a mission in Africa.

Pretty neat to think that they will last longer than most things we have.
Too bad Peavey didn't do more with the brand.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I haven't read all the pages here, but I've gigged regularly with a CA GX with the Fishman system in it for almost ten years now and it's been a dream of a guitar for me in virtually every way. So I was curious when I ran across this thread... CA's site IS still up as you may know, but every single one of the models on their site says it's "discontinued." They may not be "out of business," but when you don't offer any products for sale, you might as well be. I agree that their marketing and branding have been a little suspect, too, over the years. But I've been super happy with my GX, for what it's worth, and I don't plan on parting with it.
I regret selling my GX. While it wasn't my favourite, it had it's place (ended up being a great flatpicker with heavier strings), jammed well and I loved how worry free it was when travelling. Sold it to fund a multifx pedal which I ended up selling anyway - which sent me down a pedal rabbithole for a while (which is another story...) Now I'm in a very humid climate my wood guitars are "adjusting", yet again.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 12-26-2021, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

The OVERALL quality of CA guitars went downhill after the Peavey aquisition IMO. The original CA company made some outstanding CF guitars!

Last edited by martinlover; 12-26-2021 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2021, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinlover View Post
The OVERALL quality of CA guitars went downhill after the Peavey aquisition IMO. The original CA company made some outstanding CF guitars!
So I wasn't imagining things! I have only played one or two of the Peavey Cargos and I didn't like them as much as my original CA Guitars Cargos. Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly why. There was something about the feel or playability that didn't seem quite right. Maybe it was fine but I am too used to my own Cargos.

Tony
Old 12-26-2021, 10:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

It should be considered that in the last year of CA ownership leading up to Peavey takeover in 2010, QC issues were being reported involving improper neck angle.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
It should be considered that in the last year of CA ownership leading up to Peavey takeover in 2010, QC issues were being reported involving improper neck angle.
I do recall reading about that problem. Fortunately, Marty at The Podium weeded those out and sent them back to CA Guitars rather than putting them in customers' hands. I guess not all shops that sold those instruments were that careful or else that problem would not have been seen by customers.

Tony
Old 12-29-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Yup. I bought a GX mail order about 2008, and complained about the high relief, and CA sent me another.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Over to the long-gone MacNichol's Carbon Guitar Gorum, we even got CA to start putting cards in with each new guitar that stated the action height and whether the neck angle was within specs, maybe the card even stated what the angle was? It's been a long time since then to remember exactly what was on the card.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber