The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-17-2018, 02:12 PM

Default NPD - Fuzz edition

For a while now I have had a Nano Big Muff by EHX and I like it, but it can be hard to tame. Maybe it’s my setup. But it is often a hair more than I’m looking for. This can be mitigated with guitar volume in most cases. Anyway, I wanted to try a new flavor.

I picked up a Hoof fuzz by EarthQuaker Devices at a great used price. I love this thing. It just seems much more versatile and can be subtle if desired. A great pedal! I may keep the Big Muff around as it is good at what it does. It’s just that sometimes it felt like when a person in a room is yelling over everyone else.

I need to get better at tonal lingo...

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 09-17-2018, 04:03 PM

Cool! I read about Earthquaker Devices a few weeks ago. They're American made. Were you able to play the Hoof before buying it?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Cool! I read about Earthquaker Devices a few weeks ago. They're American made. Were you able to play the Hoof before buying it?

I did not. Not very easy for me to usually. But I trust online clips with electric gear much more than the acoustic side of things.

I can achieve a good tone similar to say, the Black Keys with the Hoof. I believe they use this pedal (guessing an Ohio connection).

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 09-17-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Love EQ Devices. Quality pedals. Great tone! If you need a delay/verb try the dispatch master. Great “dual” pedal.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Love EQ Devices. Quality pedals. Great tone! If you need a delay/verb try the dispatch master. Great “dual” pedal.
Thanks, I will check it out. I’m finding lots of companies who make great stuff. I have Wampler, JHS, Xotic and EQ for all dirt/boost stuff and one thing I particularly like about them all is every knob actually does something noticable, and most tones are usable. Some other brands don’t seem to bring this to the table.

Using a Boss DD-7 for delay right now. I like having a 40 second loop option. I can use my Micro POG to put down a bassline to play over. And I am pleased with my Bassbreaker’s reverb.

My favorite multi-use pedal is my stereo Electric Mistress (flanger/chorus)

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 09-17-2018, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich Novice View Post
Thanks, I will check it out. I’m finding lots of companies who make great stuff. I have Wampler, JHS, Xotic and EQ for all dirt/boost stuff and one thing I particularly like about them all is every knob actually does something noticable, and most tones are usable. Some other brands don’t seem to bring this to the table.

Using a Boss DD-7 for delay right now. I like having a 40 second loop option. I can use my Micro POG to put down a bassline to play over. And I am pleased with my Bassbreaker’s reverb.

My favorite multi-use pedal is my stereo Electric Mistress (flanger/chorus)
Absolutely love my JHS pedals also. I, like you, have pedals from various manufacturers. I had an older DD-3 but sold it as my Carbon Copy was much more “organic”. At least to my ears. I use it paired with a EHX Holy Grail on my home board.

I had FAR too many pedals and downsized to “necessities” (on both my home, and live rig). Every pedal I have has to meet certain criteria. Mainly is it “functional” in a simplistic way, do the knobs actually bring a noticeable change (as you mentioned), and could it be an “always on” pedal. Not that I dont have a few that are only used at times, but overall what’s on my board must meet that criteria. Otherwise it gets sold.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Absolutely love my JHS pedals also. I, like you, have pedals from various manufacturers. I had an older DD-3 but sold it as my Carbon Copy was much more “organic”. At least to my ears. I use it paired with a EHX Holy Grail on my home board.

I had FAR too many pedals and downsized to “necessities” (on both my home, and live rig). Every pedal I have has to meet certain criteria. Mainly is it “functional” in a simplistic way, do the knobs actually bring a noticeable change (as you mentioned), and could it be an “always on” pedal. Not that I dont have a few that are only used at times, but overall what’s on my board must meet that criteria. Otherwise it gets sold.
Yep, while they can be a rabbit hole, I try to limit it and don’t need a stack off to the side.

My Sovereign (Wampler), Angry Charlie (JHS) and EP Booster (Xotic) all can be left on with various guitars and are equally at home in low or high gain applications. Phase 90, Electric Mistress and the POG are more occasional.

Each time Ive replaced a pedal it was largely due to the upgrade being more usable. Sure some are pricier but almost every setting is viable. And I can move any of them for the price I paid.

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 09-17-2018, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Ive heard/read good things about the Angry Charlie. I’ll have to give one a go sometime.

At the present I’m in my JHS phase. Archer Ikon (home) and Morning Glory (live). Love the Xotix EP Booster also. I also use an MXR EQ, analog chorus, etc.

I sold my 65’ TRRI as it was far to much amp for my “needs”. Been using an egnater Tweaker 15 through 2 Egnater 1x12 cabs. Soooo versatile. Killer home use.

Also, to clear up some stage real estate I’ve moved to a “fly rig” with a Vox MV 50 Clean head. Unreal tones. Highly recommended.

Like you, I try to buy them right so if they need shuffled out I can recoup my cost.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:43 AM

Big Muff's are hard to tame but you are right in that using your guitar volume is the way to tame it. That probably goes for most fuzz's. Sounds like the Hoof is a muff clone of sorts but maybe a bit cleaner and with more control.

There are so many fuzz options out there that it's hard to find the right one. I've found that it's actually a combination of things. The best fuzz sound I have, that Cookie Puss Poison Ivy bacon cooking fuzz sound, is a Wah cocked down high into a Tube Screamer and exit through an EHX micro synth.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:26 PM

After playing the Hoof more, it is definitely less gainy. If you step on the Big Muff you better have something to say! And to my ear the Hoof is more organic sounding. It sounds like your tone but ... fuzzy. I imagine it would stack well. The Big Muff does not play well with others.

Gretsch 6228FM
Michael Tuttle T style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars