The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 11:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Whilst I'm pretty dedicated to my Blue Chip picks, last year when I wasn't able to do anything much between hospital trips and treatment, I recommenced my exploration into the possibilities of improving cheaper picks by finishing them off properly.

I only use 346 style picks - the large triangles, which offer significant advantages of more surface area to grip, and three less pointed tips.

In mey earlier researches I focused on jim dunlop and Clayton picks but last summer I also managed to get some D'andrea Pro-plec 1.5 m/m and Fender extra heavy (app. 2 m/m).

The key aspects of a pick are (to my mind):

1. Material (stiffness, wear and flexibility)
2. Shape (personal preference)
3. finish quality - i.e how the leading edges of the pick relates to the strings).

I used My Blue Chip "TAD" and Wegen TF140 as models as they are the best bevelled picks I have found to date.

White Clayton 1.52 m/m were easy to work (so soft0 but sounded dead whatever I did.
D'andrea picks and Fender picks (faux tortoise, both seem to be of celluloid and so wear badly and also tend to burn when beg worked.

Dunlop Ultex 1.14m/m (translucent yellow) took finishing well but took far longer to bevel and polish (so harder of course)

Dunlop Tortex 1.14 m/m (purple) again produced the best results. Whilst before modifying they seemed dead and slow and muddy, after bevelling they have a clear fast attack and a punchy finish off the string - so not so good for rhythm but for lead and fast bass runs - pretty good.

Dunlop "finished" Primetones both the brown translucent and the material that "looks a bit" like Blue Chips lacked any feel or quality for me.

Here is my video about finishing picks:

Silly, always appreciate when you and HHP share info and vids with the other members. I'm sure a lot of us appreciate you taking the time and energy to do so.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 08-03-2018, 05:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just wanted to bump this once. Some great suggestions from AGF members.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:03 PM

I bought some Dunlop big stubbies last week in the 1.0 and I’m really liking them.
Old 08-03-2018, 06:16 PM

Any celluloid thumb pick works fine for me. They're all so similar.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
Anyone else using the C.T. Cat Tongue Picks??
I recently bought some Cat Tongue Picks and really liked how rough the sides were, great gripping area, like a cat tongue........go figure

I also wanted to says thanks to those that talked about the "fat tone" you get from thicker picks. I have been using thin to medium .45 - .60 picks so I bought some C.T. picks in .88 and 1.14 and they sound so much nicer, I am a believer. I have ordered some Primetones in 3 different thicknesses. I think I have a case of PAS.

Great educational thread for a novice.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:20 PM

I really like the Jazz III XL picks far as sizing goes--they're more precise than a 351 and yet larger than the traditional Jazz III. The only brand I've tried thus far is the Tortex black (1.35 mm size). Are any of you using something else in that particular size (Jazz III XL)?
Old 08-03-2018, 07:30 PM

I keep trying others, but then go back to these:

https://www.amazon.com/Dava-6024-Gri...rds=dava+picks
Old 08-03-2018, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Such thick picks!! Any suggestions on excellent thins? For strumming, I'm using a .50 mm Dunlop Ultex but would like to try something a little thinner.
Old 08-03-2018, 09:17 PM

Cat Tongue picks for me all the way. I use different thicknesses. I also like the Graph Tech Tusq picks. For paper thin picks, I love Jim Dunlop Matchpicks, I think the thinnest is .46mm.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore Fan View Post
I really like the Jazz III XL picks far as sizing goes--they're more precise than a 351 and yet larger than the traditional Jazz III. The only brand I've tried thus far is the Tortex black (1.35 mm size). Are any of you using something else in that particular size (Jazz III XL)?

You might wanna give Dunlop Ultex picks a shot. Those are fantastic picks for not a lot of $$$, and most Tortex players really like them.

scott memmer
Old 08-03-2018, 11:32 PM

Clayton Aecetal large triangles - .63 and .80 are awesome. Also Dunlop Ultex large triangles.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 08-04-2018, 03:57 AM

I have been playing 1 mm Ultex, Ultem, and Tortex picks for many years, and discarding them when worn. (Bob W., I think, made a humorous post about worn picks recently.) Recently, I've been trying a couple of Clayton NuTone picks. Unsure if I prefer the "heavy" or "extra-heavy," but it makes me want to try one of Scott's casein picks.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:31 AM

How do you decide on a pick shape? For example, the Dunlop Primetone recommended in this thread have at least a dozen different shapes! https://www.musiciansfriend.com/sear...nlop+Primetone

I play a combination of arpeggiated lines up and down the neck and strumming chords. I plan on experimenting with a few shapes and sizes. Any general advice? BTW, I feel it would be very helpful if in addition to recommending what picks you use, to also share a bit on how you use them or what you find each pick specializes in, especially for those who are recommending a couple different picks.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
How do you decide on a pick shape? For example, the Dunlop Primetone recommended in this thread have at least a dozen different shapes! https://www.musiciansfriend.com/sear...nlop+Primetone

I play a combination of arpeggiated lines up and down the neck and strumming chords. I plan on experimenting with a few shapes and sizes. Any general advice? BTW, I feel it would be very helpful if in addition to recommending what picks you use, to also share a bit on how you use them or what you find each pick specializes in, especially for those who are recommending a couple different picks.
That gets very personal. The two primary pick shapes are the teardrop ala Fender 351 and the rounded triangle ala Fender 346.

I think the biggest factor in choosing shape is how you hold a pick. If you use you thumb and fingertips, you'll probably find anything larger than a 351 cumbersome. If you use a thumb locking grip, you can use either but many will go for the triangle as the larger surface area makes for a more secure hold.

You have to consider what thickness you will be using as it effects what shape you want. Under 2.5mm, I generally like a rounded triangle and over 2.5mm, I tend to use a 351-ish shape. With the wider edge on the thicker picks, its easier to get a good attack angle from the narrower pick.

As far as any shape, size, thickness or material, I advise not to be too quick to judge what you like or don't. It takes an extended period of constant use to acclimate your hand/wrist/arm to anything much different than you are used to in order to get to a point where you are really hearing the best it can do.
Old 08-05-2018, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

My favorites in order:

Dunlop Primetone “Animals as Leaders” grip
Dunlop Primetone triangle grip
Dunlop Ultex triangle
Dunlop Ultex standard

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)

Last edited by bho; 08-05-2018 at 05:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion