The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-03-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Hi Jake,
Which one do you feel needs EQ? Vocal or guitar - or both?

I will get my L1C by end of the month and will try with:
- Play Acoustic
- Zoom A3
- Behringer XR12
- Mackie 802vlz4
- Combination of Play Acoustic and either of those mixers

I am hoping the XR12 can be used as a stand alone. I am thinking the Mackie analog is the only component I could really, quickly alter on the fly.
Thanks for the reply Marty.

So right now, I am in the beginning stages of getting to feel the Bose out... I have been using my TCH Play Acoustic.

Vocals are stellar... It is amazing how much "better" I hear everything. Even subtle sounds are much more pronounced and audible. If that makes sense..

I could def use some EQ on the guitar.. I was trying to mess with the Advanced settings on the Play Acoustic. But I may need to break out the manual. I may just need to tweak a bit and be OK. But the Play Acoustic has all the sub menus.. Again not so easy on the fly.

So simple is better....... don't want to complicate things .. or add too many "extra" devices and wires........etc.

The T1 is supposed to be really great.... but it is nearly $500 bucks with power supply..... XR12 is $225 on sale. (I have a iPad mini already).
Old 11-03-2017, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I know that the T1 is quite pricey...

If you can find a T1 gently used, seems you could get it for less than $300.... take the time to check one out thoroughly before you dismiss it from the possibilities.
Yep...If I can get one for $300 .. I'd be all in.

On the other hand.. I have been thinking to just buy a new one and be "done" with it!

I mentioned the XR12 in the previous post.
But now that I think of it..
Dealing with hooking up an iPad would be just another piece of gear to forget or hassle with!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Yep...If I can get one for $300 .. I'd be all in.

On the other hand.. I have been thinking to just buy a new one and be "done" with it!

I mentioned the XR12 in the previous post.
But now that I think of it..
Dealing with hooking up an iPad would be just another piece of gear to forget or hassle with!

I use an xr16 with my Bose.
Hooking up the tablet takes 10seconds and I leave it on a table beside me. It's just as quick to make adjustments as any board and the ability to walk around the room with it and make adjustments is awesome.
However I would like to hear the T1. Only thing for me is its only 4 inputs and at times I have 6-7 ins with guest singers or players.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:19 AM

The only real tone adjustment I have needed for my Compact has been to roll off some excessive bass. I have noticed it mostly when practicing in my 24x20 shed. Otherwise it seems quite balanced in larger spaces, which suggests that the size of my shed is more the problem than the Bose.

I went with the Zed10fx mixer because of it's excellent mic preamps, wihich work really well with guitars. You can push them in to overdrive in a pleasing musical way, much like a tube amp. Very nice for magnetic pu's, which is what I use mostly. In particular, my Baggs M1 sounds very good straight into the Compact, using the guitar preset switch setting.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
I use an xr16 with my Bose.
Hooking up the tablet takes 10seconds and I leave it on a table beside me. It's just as quick to make adjustments as any board and the ability to walk around the room with it and make adjustments is awesome.
However I would like to hear the T1. Only thing for me is its only 4 inputs and at times I have 6-7 ins with guest singers or players.
Good to know.. I prob shouldn't have dismissed the iPad. Since I always bring mine for lyrics .. Being able to walk around and make adjustments is a plus! Inputs are not a consideration at this time. I am mostly solo and occasionally a Duo (2 guitars and 2 mics).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
The only real tone adjustment I have needed for my Compact has been to roll off some excessive bass. I have noticed it mostly when practicing in my 24x20 shed. Otherwise it seems quite balanced in larger spaces, which suggests that the size of my shed is more the problem than the Bose.

I went with the Zed10fx mixer because of it's excellent mic preamps, wihich work really well with guitars. You can push them in to overdrive in a pleasing musical way, much like a tube amp. Very nice for magnetic pu's, which is what I use mostly. In particular, my Baggs M1 sounds very good straight into the Compact, using the guitar preset switch setting.
True.. I too felt the bass needed a little tweak. In the room I was in. Plus my strings were brand new and a little bright... Perhaps today they will sound a more "normal".

I hear you on the the Zed-10fx .. It seems to be a very nice unit and is reasonable price point. Def would add a lot of versatility to my set up.

Seems...Each "mixer" device choice has it's pros and cons...
My choice of gear comes down to ease of use and versatility.
Plus of course sound.

But if I'm being honest with my real needs .. I am a more set it and forget it. Once I start playing being solo.. I need to play and not tweak. Although I do usually make modifications after 1st set. The T1 is very compelling in this regard..
Old 11-04-2017, 03:03 PM

Ok.. so after a good hour with the Play Acoustic into the Bose .. I'm very impressed and pleased.

For me .. It really comes down to plug in, play and not sit there and second guess everything. That is what it was like yesterday.

But Today.. everything fell into place.

I actually did a factory reset on the Play Acoustic and just added a touch of reverb.. little BodyRez, lowered the highs a bit.

My ears are tuning in... perhaps the speakers are loosening up a bit too.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ok.. so after a good hour with the Play Acoustic into the Bose .. I'm very impressed and pleased.

For me .. It really comes down to plug in, play and not sit there and second guess everything. That is what it was like yesterday.

But Today.. everything fell into place.

I actually did a factory reset on the Play Acoustic and just added a touch of reverb.. little BodyRez, lowered the highs a bit.

My ears are tuning in... perhaps the speakers are loosening up a bit too.
Awesome Jake!

I did a gig last night and had a problem jumper cable on my acoustic pedal board. Normally I use a Fishman PLatinum Pro EQ to shape a little of my sound. But since I didn't have time to troubleshoot and find the offending cable, I plugged straight into the 1/4" side of the Bose direct with my Martin OMC18E (fishman Aura VT enhance PU)

STRAIGHT IN ..and my Goodness, it sounded GREAT. for those who dismiss the 1/4" side of the L1 Compact because it lacks any eq control I say; It doesn't need it! Sounds so natural straight in.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-04-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Awesome Jake!

I did a gig last night and had a problem jumper cable on my acoustic pedal board. Normally I use a Fishman PLatinum Pro EQ to shape a little of my sound. But since I didn't have time to troubleshoot and find the offending cable, I plugged straight into the 1/4" side of the Bose direct with my Martin OMC18E (fishman Aura VT enhance PU)

STRAIGHT IN ..and my Goodness, it sounded GREAT. for those who dismiss the 1/4" side of the L1 Compact because it lacks any eq control I say; It doesn't need it! Sounds so natural straight in.
Nice Grob.. I assume you switched it to ToneMatch mode, plus the Martin with Fishman is no slouch.

I may still pop for the T1 .. Just to see what it's all about.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nice Grob.. I assume you switched it to ToneMatch mode, plus the Martin with Fishman is no slouch.

I may still pop for the T1 .. Just to see what it's all about.
If you get the T1, get it now while they are $75 off ....and let me know what kind of difference you hear. It honestly sounds so good now, I don't need the T1, but the T1 does give you compression and reverb and a variety of options that would be nice to have. Needed? Not sure. But nice. ...and more channels if ever needed.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-05-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
If you get the T1, get it now while they are $75 off ....and let me know what kind of difference you hear. It honestly sounds so good now, I don't need the T1, but the T1 does give you compression and reverb and a variety of options that would be nice to have. Needed? Not sure. But nice. ...and more channels if ever needed.
Yep.. But in my mind the T1 at $424 + $35 (ac adapter) is still a bit steep. I can try to find used. But they are still in the $350 range .

I am very close to getting the Behringer XR12 .. I have a special coupon at GC for 16% off.. Bringing price to $225 with tax. I have an iPad already..
Plus I'd have the 45 day return policy.

I have read nothing but great things about these XR series mixers. I wonder how easy is it to dial in for me... Being a slow learner.

Because the T1 is prob much simpler to "dial in"... The question comes down to sound and convenience / perhaps is it worth it to spend the extra bucks for the Bose and "be done with it!".
Old 11-05-2017, 09:27 PM

JackStone,
Are running you running your PlayAcoustic guitar and vocal to separate channels on the L1?
Old 11-05-2017, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yep.. But in my mind the T1 at $424 + $35 (ac adapter) is still a bit steep. I can try to find used. But they are still in the $350 range .

I am very close to getting the Behringer XR12 .. I have a special coupon at GC for 16% off.. Bringing price to $225 with tax. I have an iPad already..
Plus I'd have the 45 day return policy.

I have read nothing but great things about these XR series mixers. I wonder how easy is it to dial in for me... Being a slow learner.

Because the T1 is prob much simpler to "dial in"... The question comes down to sound and convenience / perhaps is it worth it to spend the extra bucks for the Bose and "be done with it!".
There have been a few problems occassions when we played at venues where there were so many wi-fi's flooding the area we could not connect to the fair. When that happens you're screwed. We just got a Mackie ProDX 8 and it connects to your igone or iPad via Bluetooth. Not as flexible or feature rich as the Cair but it sounds good and connections are more reliable.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-06-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crgoddard View Post
JackStone,
Are you running your PlayAcoustic guitar and vocal to separate channels on the L1?
No .. I'm running a single XLR Mono (left output) to the Bose Guitar input (line level) using XLR to 1/4" TSR.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
.....I plugged straight into the 1/4" side of the Bose direct with my Martin OMC18E (fishman Aura VT enhance PU)

I really hate to be a "me too" kind of poster, but I just test-drove a Bose L1 Compact this past weekend, and I had a similar experience.

Plugging my UST-equipped nylon-string guitar directly into the Bose L1c, the only control available was volume. The sound (to my ears) was quite nice, and it did seem to fill the room (acoustic guitar room at Guitar Center) pretty evenly. The volume set at 50% seemed about right for the space; moving the volume to higher levels seemed to make the guitar itself overly-sensitive to pick / finger nuances......that could have been an artifact of the UST pick-up (?). I really could not figure out *how* this thing produced mid-range.....there was a bass component on the floor, and the tweeter array was up high.....but the tone was indeed there. True to the claims made of performance, the unit did not seem overly-loud even when up fairly close, and the volume seemed to do a pretty good job of maintaining presence even as I moved further back (I was limited by a 15' cable). Suffice to say, I was pretty impressed with the L1c.

That same Guitar Center also had a Fishman SA330 in the adjacent acoustic guitar room. The SA330 was quite nice as well, but the Fishman SA330 to my un-trained ears seemed to have a hotter pre-amp which brought out a bit more unwanted nuance (nail click, fingers sliding over strings) than the L1c. The Fishman -- again just my opinion -- was a bit more on-axis directional than the L1c; the L1c seemed to have wider, more-even coverage.

They were both very nice-sounding units, but I have to admit that I am particularly surprised as to how *easy* that L1c seemed for me to play. By "easy to play," I simply mean that I didn't find myself compensating much playing amplified (vs. playing true acoustic) -- I didn't hear a lot of unwanted artifacts associated with putting a pick-up in an acoustic guitar. It just felt like I was playing naturally and sounded good. I was somewhat skeptical.....but I have to say that I am impressed by that Bose L1c. Thinking about it......
Old 11-06-2017, 01:19 PM

Thank you Paul for a great report..

Reinforces my choice to get the Bose L1 Compact.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification