The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-04-2011, 12:47 PM
happiness

For me, it's the builder's artistry and attention to detail that make it worth a high price tag. To illustrate the point, a few photos of my Andy Manson parlour:

Fliss
Old 11-04-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
For me, it's the builder's artistry and attention to detail that make it worth a high price tag. To illustrate the point, a few photos of my Andy Manson parlour:

Fliss
This is stunning! What type of wood in the back and sides? I'm going to run out of superlatives soon!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:51 PM
happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
This is stunning! What type of wood in the back and sides? I'm going to run out of superlatives soon!
Thanks It's English yew.

Fliss
Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks It's English yew.

Fliss
Trying to imagine the tone now ~~~ It's quite exotic!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:29 AM
happiness

Quote:
Trying to imagine the tone now ~~~ It's quite exotic!
No need to imagine - here's a link to a video of me singing a couple of songs with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os9qU...layer_embedded

Fliss
Old 11-05-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
No need to imagine - here's a link to a video of me singing a couple of songs with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os9qU...layer_embedded

Fliss
Very nice! Great sparkling tone even as you gently pick the strings. It seems like you have a great gathering of people for an intimate night of acoustic music and sharing.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 AM
happiness

Quote:
Very nice! Great sparkling tone even as you gently pick the strings. It seems like you have a great gathering of people for an intimate night of acoustic music and sharing.
Thanks! Yes, that was an acoustic music weekend get-together that took place in September; if you checkout some of the other "HB2" videos you will be able to enjoy some very fine musicians, and some more very fine instruments too

Fliss
Old 11-06-2011, 01:20 AM

My base prices start at the upper part of your range. I'm one of the guys customers come to for guitars that do have a bit of "bling" so most of my guitars sell for substantially more than that.

As far as warranting the price, well... I sell them so they must... Price is often based on intangibles like how long the builder has been building, what the demand for their guitar is and what sort of resale windfall it may have in 20 years. I have customers of my highly inlaid guitars (buying guitars in the mid 5 digit range) who tell me they feel they will be very good investments given my association with the Martin museum guitars combined with the possibility of Voyage Air becoming a household name. I don’t really think about what I do as an investment to make money but rather something that makes you happy right now. No matter how sure a thing is I think it’s best to live in the moment. Besides, I know that for them to be really valuable I need to either keel over or retire from building and I don't plan on either with in the next 20 years...

Even though I specialize in "art" guitars I can't remember ever adding anything to the basic guitar the made it a better sounding or playing guitar other than up-grading the wood choices or adding a comfort feature like an arm bevel or body wedge. What makes that nice is knowing that a great guitar can be made without spending a lot on flashy things.

This guitar would represent a base model with some nice wood up-grades. It doesn’t have any real bling (for me anyway) beyond the Brazilian back and sides and the Italian spruce top. It does have a cutaway, Voyage Air neck and abalone top trim but it still would be under $10K with standard woods.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:26 AM

Well for me it's these.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...%2C+Healdsburg

Between that, and this...
Custom Leach Cremona Voyage Air, Adirondack top, flamed mahogany back and sides - 1 3/4" nut/2 5/16" bridge spacing - Dragon Fretboard inlay, Manzer "wedge" body and beveled arm rest. Price reflects the discount for non-refundable deposit and "free" inlays to replace customers personalized inlays. This guitar is near completion (about 2 - 3 weeks)
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...itars+for+sale

Between them, I can't say anything about guitars for 10 years and my wife gets 200 pairs of shoes and I can't say squat about it.!!!!

These two guitars address many of my needs at this stage of my life and I am selling about 6 other guitars that these two offer the best of and more.

$$$$ are not everything but they do allow great builders to build great guitars and lame guitar players like me to own them.

I am both very blessed and very lucky to have the guitars I have...and I know it. I never dreamed of such fine guitars in my hands.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post
I don’t really think about what I do as an investment to make money but rather something that makes you happy right now. No matter how sure a thing is I think it’s best to live in the moment.

This guitar would represent a base model with some nice wood up-grades. It doesn’t have any real bling (for me anyway) beyond the Brazilian back and sides and the Italian spruce top. It does have a cutaway, Voyage Air neck and abalone top trim but it still would be under $10K with standard woods.

I appreciate your thoughts, and do believe being happy with the guitar and enjoying it in the present!

Your base model is outstanding! The aesthetics really sit right with me. Beautiful!
Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvl View Post

What Harvey is not telling you is that this particular guitar has absolutely stunning tone. I was lucky enough to be able to play this very guitar in a quiet room for an extended period. I was later joined by a couple of world class luthiers who all raved about the tone, not to mention one of the most amazingly beautiful tops I have ever seen. Imagin our surprise when Harvey wandered in and, upon hearing our compliments, announced that this was actually a folding Voyage Air model guitar! A truly great guitar by one of acoustic guitars great builders with tone, playability and beauty that simply is not found at your local GC.

Steve
Old 11-06-2011, 11:27 AM

Many luthiers whose prices are below the $10k mark punch above their weight, where given a few more years development of both their work and their reputation they will be able to justify elevating their prices. A luthier such as this is Brent McElroy (http://mcelroyguitars.com/) who work offers fantastic design and tone especially with his Generation 2 lattice braced guitars all mixed with an awesome selection of woods. He definitely punches above his weight in the world of luthiery as do many others but as he's been building for 16 years this is more so than others. You could mistake his work for a luthier of twice that experience, i'd expect him to be in the $10k and above range by 2020.

Builders who use both modern and conservative approaches to building that i admire above the $10k commission mark, not $10k from a dealer, would be: Michael Greenfield, Michihiro Matsuda, Kevin Ryan, Mario Beauregard, Stefan Sobell and of course Ervin Somogyi.

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it Chuck Berry" - John Lennon

A fun thing to do at public restrooms is to wait until someone leaves, then click your stopwatch and write something down in a notebook

Last edited by mutley2209; 11-06-2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Lovely bridge work and very unique side!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 AM

Other than the mention of her wedge shape, nobody has mentioned Manzer so far! She makes some great flattops in the "stratospheric" price range. Pat Metheny and Bruce Cockburn are two prominent fans whose main flattops have been Manzers for years. I've never played one but they sure record beautifully! And that's the closest ill ever come to one

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop