The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 PM

Default Most Expensive Custom Builds examples?

I'd love to see some really expensive non-vintage custom builds that do warrant the price particularly those without extra adornments. I know that custom build prices range anywhere from $4K to $10K I'd imagine. Also, what build features and/or techniques would warrant and command such prices?
Old 11-03-2011, 07:13 PM

There are obviously luthiers that are priced higher than most and based on the demand for their work, their wait lists and public perception, their work is seemingly valued as what they are asking for their guitars. There are others that have raised their prices in an effort to create the "perception" that their guitars are worth the higher price. At the end of the day, the second hand probably dictates how well guitars hold their value as compared to the original cost.

Some of the most expensive and highly respected luthiers would include (but not be limited to):

Somogyi
Olson
TJ Thompson
Ryan
Traugott
Kim Walker
Greenfield

And with these guitars for the most part holding 90% or more of their market value in the second hand market, the concensus is that they are worth it. And they are not just based on bling... though many options are included for their stated prices.

There are lots of builds of exceptional instruments including some of these builders listed in this section of AGF
Old 11-03-2011, 08:51 PM

Just check out a few sites like dreamguitars.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Somogyis start at $30k

http://www.esomogyi.com/prices.html

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 11-03-2011, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Just check out a few sites like dreamguitars.
+1. There are so many builders whose base prices already start incredibly high, it takes little research to find them.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Check out the builders represented by Luthier's Collection (www.luthierscollection.com) as a number of them are at the most elite level in terms of reputation and pricing. Also, there are a couple guitars by luthier John Mayes there at the moment that are quite beautiful and unique.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:41 AM

The one I would like to see is Ken Parker's acoustic arch top, although it is priced at just over $30,000.00.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:29 AM

I didn't stick with your 4-10K, sorry.

I have never played one, but I think, Traugotts, are beautiful!!

From his site

To place an order, a non-refundable $5000 payment must be received. The final balance will be due three weeks prior to shipping. This payment is a combination design consultation fee and is used to purchase all materials including the case.

My current price is $26,500. This includes Brazilian Rosewood, German Spruce and a custom deluxe case. See my Options page for specific pricing on custom details.

He uses some really nice looking Brazilian..

http://www.traugottguitars.com/details_2.html

I had to post one pic.

I really like the looks of, Jason Simpsons Guitars, and Mike Baranik's too. Check them out!! There really are so many nice builders out there. Batson Bros. have I model called the number 5 that is really "affordable" too.

My YouTube

Facebook

"Only by becoming acquainted with your own self,
can you gain the composure to write original music"

Michael Hedges ♫

Last edited by Fngrstyl; 11-04-2011 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:30 AM

I'm sure members of this forum own some of these beautiful guitars

For those who own a high end guitar(s) what factors led you to a particular luthier? There are so many high quality luthiers!

Last edited by enigma; 11-04-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

My decision for buying high end guitars comes down to my relationship with the builder, sound/tone of their guitars, feel/playability of their guitars, aesthetics and the quality of materials available to build with. In order for me to consider any builder for a custom order, all of the above criteria must be met based on what I want in a guitar... there are too many great builders out there to settle for anything less. Among my personal favorites are Jeff Traugott, Blazer & Henkes, TJ Thompson, Kim Walker, Michi Matsuda, Ervin Somogyi and Bill Tippin.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 11-04-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
...For those who own a high end guitar(s) what factors led you to a particular luthier? There are so many high quality luthiers!
Yes, there are, and the AGF is a GREAT place to learn about them!

Here's the story of how I came to own a fine custom guitar, built by a truly great builder whose instruments are, I think, relative bargains when compared to many of the higher priced guitars. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=197767

cotten
Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM

I would have to say Michael Bashkin: www.bashkinguitars.com

Here are some pics of mine:

Honduran Mahogany back & sides-African Blackwood bindings

Cedar Top-African Blackwood bindings

’11 Bashkin Belleza - GC (Cedar/Mahogany)
’89 Taylor 712
Takamine EN-50
ESP Ltd MV-200
Old 11-04-2011, 09:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
I'd love to see some really expensive non-vintage custom builds that do warrant the price particularly those without extra adornments. I know that custom build prices range anywhere from $4K to $10K I'd imagine. Also, what build features and/or techniques would warrant and command such prices?
Most builders base price guitars [can] have the fit, finish, play-ability and perhaps similar tone to their highest end models. What drives costs up are usually based on a two basic categories; exotic woods or materials beyond the base price limitations and additional labor costs. Exotic materials and the cost to store seasoned woods, at the ready to build with, are passed on to the customer. Bling adornment not only adds material costs but labor cost rises exponentially.

Out of site options such as Double Sides, Double Tops or Hollow Backs not only require at least twice the material but often twice the labor. These features can't be easily seen by the eye but the effects [can] be heard by the player and listeners.

Ergonomic options like a Manzer wedge, an arm bevel or a multi-scale fingerboard can offer the player an increased amount of comfort. These options are becoming more popular with players who may have disabilities, joint or physical limitations. All of these options add considerable labor hours and materials to the build.

Various fret metals or fret end treatments will add material and additional labor costs. Exotic hand made tuners often adorned with fancy engravings add costs. Ivory nuts, saddles, bridge and end pins, hand applied French Polish shellac, oil varnish or spirit varnish, sunbursts or shading, sound ports, higher end cases and case covers all add to the build's bottom line. Just take a look at the ala-cart price menu on most builders sites and the optional features can add up quickly.

Does this mean that a tricked out custom build, with ALL of the bells and whistles will sound or play any better than a bare bones model? Not necessarily but these little custom options are what contributes to making your custom guitar not only unique ... but ... uniquely YOURS. I hope I was able to partially answer your question?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Most builders base price guitars [can] have the fit, finish, play-ability and perhaps similar tone to their highest end models. What drives costs up are usually based on a two basic categories; exotic woods or materials beyond the base price limitations and additional labor costs. Exotic materials and the cost to store seasoned woods, at the ready to build with, are passed on to the customer. Bling adornment not only adds material costs but labor cost rises exponentially.

Out of site options such as Double Sides, Double Tops or Hollow Backs not only require at least twice the material but often twice the labor. These features can't be easily seen by the eye but the effects [can] be heard by the player and listeners.

Ergonomic options like a Manzer wedge, an arm bevel or a multi-scale fingerboard can offer the player an increased amount of comfort. These options are becoming more popular with players who may have disabilities, joint or physical limitations. All of these options add considerable labor hours and materials to the build.

Various fret metals or fret end treatments will add material and additional labor costs. Exotic hand made tuners often adorned with fancy engravings add costs. Ivory nuts, saddles, bridge and end pins, hand applied French Polish shellac, oil varnish or spirit varnish, sunbursts or shading, sound ports, higher end cases and case covers all add to the build's bottom line. Just take a look at the ala-cart price menu on most builders sites and the optional features can add up quickly.

Does this mean that a tricked out custom build, with ALL of the bells and whistles will sound or play any better than a bare bones model? Not necessarily but these little custom options are what contributes to making your custom guitar not only unique ... but ... uniquely YOURS. I hope I was able to partially answer your question?
Appreciate the detailed response! I want to be as informed as possible so that I'd be prepared ONE day to make my first order! In the meantime, I need to brush up on my acoustic skills or lack thereof, and at least master one fine tune wothy of it.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old6strng View Post
I would have to say Michael Bashkin: www.bashkinguitars.com

Here are some pics of mine:

Honduran Mahogany back & sides-African Blackwood bindings

Cedar Top-African Blackwood bindings
That's exquisite!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop