The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-28-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
how did you figure that out?

edit: i'm going to guess now that you search gc's used inventory and found the serial number.

Probably got the info here.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Thanks for your thoughts! I'm seriously considering negotiating the price down to include a full neck reset done by a reputable luthier because the tone is that good. The GM at this particular GC is really reasonable, but we'll see.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts and good advice!
one last thought. if you end up with another grand invested, you are getting very close in the territory of buying a nice used goodall that is ready to roll with no issues.

and, what if the tone changes after a neck reset-not meaning it will be bad, but maybe not what you like.

lots to consider in this situation.

not trying to sour you on the guitar-i think it looks really neat and i love old guitars that are brought back to full glory-just check things out really well so you know up front the best you can as to what you will be spending and getting in return.

keep us updated if you do work on it and how it turns out.

d

Last edited by darylcrisp; 10-28-2011 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
one last thought. if you end up with another grand invested, you are getting very close in the territory of buying a nice used goodall that is ready to roll with no issues.

and, what if the tone changes after a neck reset-not meaning it will be bad, but maybe not what you like.

lots to consider in this situation.

not interested in buying it any longer either.

d
I know what you mean!!! I'll have to make up mind tomorrow and calculate dollars and cents (and sense).
Old 10-28-2011, 10:27 PM

I'm 99% sure that Goodall uses a bolt on and worked together with Bob Taylor on the original Taylor design.

In any case, a neck reset on a dovetail should run between 350 and 500 and wouldn't be needed immediately... a reset on a bolt on would be less yet.
that's me on guitar
Old 10-29-2011, 01:34 AM

Wink

I am interested if you sell guitar Godall
Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
I'm 99% sure that Goodall uses a bolt on and worked together with Bob Taylor on the original Taylor design.

In any case, a neck reset on a dovetail should run between 350 and 500 and wouldn't be needed immediately... a reset on a bolt on would be less yet.
Bill Asher from TGP told me that Goodall guitars are made with a traditional dovetali joint.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimR View Post
Probably got the info here.
thanks for the reply. i wasn't wondering how he dated the guitar, however, i was wondering how he got the serial number. i couldn't make it out in the pictures, so i'm guessing in is one gc's website in the used inventory. i didn't bother trying to search it out, as my internet connection is kind of slow.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The fingerboard is Brazilian. Yes, the body is mahogany. The label says M59S.
Hi, Enigma.

I have a Sitka/Rosewood Goodall Standard from 1981. The serial number is R91S, which translates into "Rosewood" "serial number 91" "Standard". The guy at GC is probably right about the date of manufacture, since your guitar would be "Mahogany" "serial number 59" "Standard". Plus, from the pictures, the label looks similar to mine.

FWIW, I'd make the deal. The most important argument is that you like the sound. The neck can be fixed, even if that means an additional investment, and you will buying an interesting piece of history!

BTW, my 1981 Standard has a neck that is straight as an arrow and tone for days.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Bill Asher from TGP told me that Goodall guitars are made with a traditional dovetali joint.
I think he's wrong. I just googled Goodall Neck joint and found a short review of a Goodall in Acoustic Guitar that mentions the bolt-on neck http://www.acguitar.com/issues/ag127/feature127.html and a couple of comments in various forums from Goodall owners regarding their bolt-on necks. Here's one example http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/ar...p/t-66485.html see the post by Nick Triesch
that's me on guitar
Old 10-29-2011, 11:23 AM

on the neck joint...
from the goodall forum - http://www.thegoodallforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24
that's me on guitar
Old 10-29-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Hi, Enigma.

I have a Sitka/Rosewood Goodall Standard from 1981. The serial number is R91S, which translates into "Rosewood" "serial number 91" "Standard". The guy at GC is probably right about the date of manufacture, since your guitar would be "Mahogany" "serial number 59" "Standard". Plus, from the pictures, the label looks similar to mine.

FWIW, I'd make the deal. The most important argument is that you like the sound. The neck can be fixed, even if that means an additional investment, and you will buying an interesting piece of history!

BTW, my 1981 Standard has a neck that is straight as an arrow and tone for days.

Wow, yours look pristine compare to the one I'm considering which is really beat up with poor cosmetic repair on the front body to boot. But, I am seriously considering. The price that's negotiated has to be approved by the GC Hollywood.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
on the neck joint...
from the goodall forum - http://www.thegoodallforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24
Thanks for the extra investigation. Hopefully, that would make the repair cheaper.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Given what you've described, I don't think I'd go for this guitar. I'd spend a bit more and get something built later on in the Goodall expertise curve, so to speak, or go with something else. No telling what can of worms you might open when someone starts fiddling with a neck reset. And "reputable luthier" - that better be someone who really knows what he/she is doing, and understands how Goodalls do their thing. Me? I'd walk from it. Too many other great guitars out there.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalton View Post
I'd spend a bit more and get something built later on in the Goodall expertise curve, so to speak, or go with something else.
I was thinking about the expertise curve as well, but it's the tone that's talking to me and I love old guitars. Still, I have some time to think about it as I wait for what GC Hollywood vintage guys have to say about the repairs that are needed eventually.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:02 PM

There are always exceptions to the rule, but in my experience, older Goodalls can be hit or miss, at least compared to his guitars from the last decade. I've had a couple of 80's models. One was okay, one was downright "meh." If you've played this one and it pushes your buttons, then that's certainly a good price for a Goodall. Just know that for $2000 to $2500, you can buy a heck of a nice used Goodall with not as many issues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop