The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-06-2011, 02:10 PM

I would start by calling a few of our sponsoring luthiers and tell them your aims. You will know when you have found the right one!
Old 10-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicov View Post
Why not take your wife with you, make a weekend of it, have some fun.
Vic, If my wife knew I was spending that much on yet another guitar she would disembowel me with a blunt spoon then go an buy some shoes, which isn't too much of a problem - it's the dress, earrings, necklace, watch, coat, and car that matches it!

'11 Kolaya Carmen
'07 Lowden O10c
'02 Lowden SP32ce
'06 McIlroy A30c
'93 Gibson SJ-200 koa
'92 Gibson Starburst
'79 Gibson 335 CRR
'61 Fender Esquire
'62 Gibson 330
'63 Fender Strat
'55 Fender Whiteface Telecaster

Old 10-06-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcloud View Post
I would start by calling a few of our sponsoring luthiers and tell them your aims. You will know when you have found the right one!
I've already been checking out my hit list of sponsored luthiers to contact.
with the issues over Braz Rosewood discussed in this thread, I'm possibly considering Cocobola or African Blackwood.

@ Redpick - spoke to Stefan Sobell on the phone today who lives about 20 miles from me. He only does /prefers Brazilian Rosewood and has loads in stock but it would be the thick end of $15k (and that's just the starting price) and about 14 months to complete, which makes it out of my budget and lifespan.

I have to say that the help and advice I've been getting has been tremendous guys. I'm slowly narrowing down the options and the build with every post. It's been great going thru some of the post about current/old builds from luthiers. Seeing a lot of stuff that i love, and a couple of guitars that have been built and sold that I would have snapped up! Cheers.

'11 Kolaya Carmen
'07 Lowden O10c
'02 Lowden SP32ce
'06 McIlroy A30c
'93 Gibson SJ-200 koa
'92 Gibson Starburst
'79 Gibson 335 CRR
'61 Fender Esquire
'62 Gibson 330
'63 Fender Strat

Old 10-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz2822 View Post

<<snip>>

...and about 14 months to complete, which makes it out of my budget and lifespan.

Any of the builders I might recommend publicly or privately will have at least this long of a wait, likely more.

A shorter wait-list generally relates to having less demand, and in many ways may speak to the overall quality (and qualities) of the instrument.

Not always the truth, but perhaps not too far off the mark as a generality.

JMNSHO.

You're looking to spend a fairly large dollar amount for a guitar...the best builders can't make something materialize in a hurry...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 10-06-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Any of the builders I might recommend publicly or privately will have at least this long of a wait, likely more.

A shorter wait-list generally relates to having less demand, and in many ways may speak to the overall quality (and qualities) of the instrument.

Not always the truth, but perhaps not too far off the mark as a generality.

JMNSHO.

You're looking to spend a fairly large dollar amount for a guitar...the best builders can't make something materialize in a hurry...

I appreciate that, and personally work to the old adage of "speed, price, quality - but you can only pick 2 - as there is trade off. Thing is, I'm not a spring chicken, who knows "where of if I'll be in 14 months!" - If dropped down dead before I got this guitar and my wife found out she would kill me!!!

'11 Kolaya Carmen
'07 Lowden O10c
'02 Lowden SP32ce
'06 McIlroy A30c
'93 Gibson SJ-200 koa
'92 Gibson Starburst
'79 Gibson 335 CRR
'61 Fender Esquire
'62 Gibson 330
'63 Fender Strat

Old 10-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Humanist

Quote:
I appreciate that, and personally work to the old adage of "speed, price, quality - but you can only pick 2 - as there is trade off. Thing is, I'm not a spring chicken, who knows "where of if I'll be in 14 months!" - If dropped down dead before I got this guitar and my wife found out she would kill me!!!

All kidding aside:

Any of us could drop-dead at any moment...and I've already looked down that path with some heart problems about 18 months ago. I might indeed drop-dead tomorrow, or perhaps I'll live a good number of years beyond tomorrow...who knows? Like Steve Jobs, I'm 56.

Meanwhile, and again in all seriousness, most of the builders I know would not hold a widow (or widower) to a guitar purchase. I'm not recommending getting on a builder's list with an 8 year wait, but 18-24 months might be typical with today's economic circumstances. Anything short of that would be a bonus. 2-4 years ago most builders I know had longer wait-lists.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
All kidding aside: Like Steve Jobs, I'm 56.
You wear your age quite well Larry. I had no idea that you were that old.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Buying off the rack eliminates the surprise and the excitement of the unknown. Which has its trade offs.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
You wear your age quite well Larry. I had no idea that you were that old.
I'm pretty sure that a year after his heart attack, Larry could leave me in the dust in my typical 3 mile run. But he does have 7 more years of training on me
Old 10-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Chasson View Post
I'm pretty sure that a year after his heart attack, Larry could leave me in the dust in my typical 3 mile run. But he does have 7 more years of training on me
I take a lot of naps, now.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Vic, If my wife knew I was spending that much on yet another guitar she would disembowel me with a blunt spoon then go an buy some shoes, which isn't too much of a problem - it's the dress, earrings, necklace, watch, coat, and car that matches it!
You could paint your face blue, wear a kilt and scream at the top of your voice, "Freeeeddddooooommm!!!!"
Old 10-06-2011, 10:18 PM

Taz, though my budget was well under yours, I had the opportunity to select the right builder for a very special custom guitar. (And man, did he deliver!)

Because I enjoy this forum so much, and have received such an education and so many countless hours of entertainment from it, one of my first decisions was to limit my choices to those luthiers who support this community as Sponsors. It is largely our Sponsors who make a free AGF possible, and I wanted to select one of them as a tangible way of expressing my appreciation, especially when I felt this involved no sacrifice in quality of the finished guitar.

You may not want to do that, of course, but I did, and I remain convinced that this was a wise decision.

Even limited to our forum Sponsors, you have a LOT of excellent luthiers from which to choose! I look forward to hearing of your progress.

cotten
Old 10-07-2011, 12:13 AM

TAZ, just an fyi, there is a Braz Sobell on ebay UK waiting for you. It's a great guitar & the seller is a trustworthy chap.

Cheers
Vic
Old 10-07-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicov View Post
TAZ, just an fyi, there is a Braz Sobell on ebay UK waiting for you. It's a great guitar & the seller is a trustworthy chap.

Cheers
Vic
Vic, thanks for the tip. The Sobell is very tempting, but I think if it's a Sobell I go for then I would go the whole hog and commit to the fresh journey and build from start to finish - especially as he's so close.

This post and potential has been so exciting over the past week. I've seen so many great luthiers and builds, my eyes have been well and truly opened beyond my world of Mcilroy, Lowdens, where they previously they stopped. I think I'm 20% through reading every back post in the Custom section and the AGF Marketplace and Sponsors to bring my knowledge base up to speed. I just wish my playing was as good as the craftsmanship! I've learnt more in this week than I have in the last 3 years.

There is so much great stuff out there, including members advice ( you know who you are - thanks). I'm going to trim down some of my 'old school' traditional collection to make way for some new school. I read on Micheal Watts website he said "I firmly believe that many of the finest guitars ever are being built right now." This is such an exciting venture - I may end up writing a song about it!!! lol

'11 Kolaya Carmen
'07 Lowden O10c
'02 Lowden SP32ce
'06 McIlroy A30c
'93 Gibson SJ-200 koa
'92 Gibson Starburst
'79 Gibson 335 CRR
'61 Fender Esquire
'62 Gibson 330
'63 Fender Strat

Last edited by taz2822; 10-07-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:18 AM

Have weakened to temptation and agreed to buy the Amazon Rosewood Kolaya from Brad that he was selling. With a 1year build time for commission, this will keep me ticking over while I explore the actual commisioning and builder further.

With the issue of Brazilian rosewood and exportation to the UK, I'm now thinking of possibly either African Blackwood or Macasser Ebony, but I'll take advice from the builder. I'm hoping to finalise and agree the build in the next 2 months once I've read every post on builds in the Custom section!!!!
I'll keep you posted on the build. Thanks for all your help

'11 Kolaya Carmen
'07 Lowden O10c
'02 Lowden SP32ce
'06 McIlroy A30c
'93 Gibson SJ-200 koa
'92 Gibson Starburst
'79 Gibson 335 CRR
'61 Fender Esquire
'62 Gibson 330
'63 Fender Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop