The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-11-2018, 05:38 AM

Default Yamaha SLG200NW or Godin MultiAc? Silent playing.

I'm interested in playing spanish classical guitar without disturbing my neighbors, so prefrebly with headphones.

So far i've thought of
Yamaha Silent SLG200NW (The NW has a wider neck that the SLG200N)
Godin MultiAc Nylon Encore - (thanks to Nymoso for the recommendation) - cant't play with headphones.

I'm really considering the SLG200NW but my only concerns are
1. The action might be too high right off the bat so I'd have to play extra for having someone lower it.
2. The built quality is poor and it might brake or the strings become loose / out of tune to quickly?
3. The sound is poor even with headphones: maybe get other strings?

Are these concerns true or
Do any of you have experience with the SLG200NW? Or the Godin Multiac Nylon string?
Help and advice would be highly appreciated. I know that playing on a guitar in a store is key, however
gettign the advice from someone with expereince is valuable to me as well.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:19 PM

I've had the Yamaha SLG200N for some time. LOADS of fun ! Coming from the steel string stuff, I thought the action was too high and I would surely have to sand the saddle down to play it well. Turns out, no. I got used to it pretty quickly. I find nothing wrong with the build quality. The sound is not going to be like a high end classical guitar, but, it is very good. The 200 series has the "mic" and pickup knob and I like the mic setting best IF I am trying to sound the most acoustic. I do like blending them and sometimes, for certain jazz tones and with the reverb and chorus settings, the more piezo sound of the pickup works the best. ( Note: Do not leave the guitar in mic setting and leave a 1/4 cable plugged in, as it will drain the battery, even if it is turned off. )

I put the higher tension strings on it, to give me more ability to use electric guitar bends and stuff.

Use some decent headphones with it. Or, have fun with an amp, when you can play it louder.

I give it a thumbs up !

p.s. if the guitar had poor sound or poor quality, professional players wouldn't use them. They do.

Here is a sound test, playing in a flamico style:

Here is an older version without the "mic" setting, but played by Lee Ritenour. He still plays in for select songs:
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "

Last edited by JohnW63; 09-01-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:31 AM

The only brickbat against the Yamaha SLG200NW is that it does not nurture good classical guitar technique. Classical guitar teachers frown on it as you may pick up bad habits. It is also tonally offensive to a purist's ear.

But used as Yamaha intended, as a travel guitar meant to be plugged it works a treat. I won't use it as my main classical guitar for serious practice but for pootling around working out pieces in the still of the night or played plugged in to entertain a crowd, man, it ticks all the right boxes.

Being electric, it spoils your touch because the tone is generated with the help of amplification.

It is a fun guitar but not a proper instrument for developing classical guitar technique. Even Yamaha would say, get a proper guitar.

PS If low practice volume is a consideration, you could mute the strings of a proper classical guitar with a strip of foam rubber under the bridge and stuff a cloth into the soundhole. The Silent Guitar is a fun thing to play around wth but as your only classical guitar, I don't recommend it if you are serious about classical guitar technique. It is not cheap for what it is; I would pony up and get a good nice classical guitar from Francisco Navarro, Tom Prisloe's Pavan, Kenny Hill New World. Ibanez and Yamaha make good classical guitars for the serious learner. For $1000, Yamaha can deliver a well-made classical. Yamaha has been doing that like forever. Any Yamaha requires a good set-up though because the factory action is always very high. Gee, I struggled with a 6mm or 1/4" high action when I started out with a Yamaha classical because I thought that was the way guitars were supposed to be! That was how Yamaha delivered it.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 09-02-2018 at 01:44 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
godin multiac, silent guitar, slg200n, slg200nw