The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-04-2011, 01:10 PM

Question Cut A Ways - How Hard To Make ?

Personally I like them and own one and it is a great playing guitar as far as the upper register is concerned . The sound is incredible , all my neighborhood guitar slingers love it's sound and action .

I have considered making one like my D46SCE Washburn rosewood and have not ever made an acoustic guitar . I love the crisp clean bell like tones rose wood makes .

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 11-04-2011, 05:02 PM

Ramon, there are a few things most of us would have to know before advising you on making a guitar. First, do you have any woodworking experience/skills? Not talking house framing here, but any fine woodworking experience? If you do, my advice (and I'm sure that of many others) is to construct a full body guitar before diving into a cutaway. There are aspects of both styles that require more attention and care than for a full-body instrument. With the florentine, there's more critical joinery to deal with. In the case of the Venetian (toward which you're apparently more inclined) there's a greater risk of snapping the side while bending the cutaways tight radius. So, you might do well to get one or two full-bodies under your belt before tackling a cutaway. In fact, you might consider building a kit before doing a 'from scratch' project. If you decide to jump right into the deep end, do some searches on this and perhaps other forums regarding the bending of cutaways. Then make about half a dozen practice bends on your hot pipe--or whatever bending apparatus you choose. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:26 PM

Default Re Making aCut A Way

Thanks , I have considered a kit guitar , maybe it's the way to begin .

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 11-09-2011, 06:44 PM

If you can get a kit with a cutaway then maybe you can kill two birds with one stone. I thought about this route years ago when I got the guitar building bug and really wanted a cut away but there was not a cutaway kit available yet so I put the whole thing aside, and have not built anything yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop