The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2023, 02:53 PM

Default Atkin surprises.

I recently had a chance to play a couple of Atkin models. A 43 Reserve and a Custom L36. I was blown away. In a room that included Collings, Lowden, Santa Cruz, and Bourgeois (and I played them all) the two Atkin pieces "spoke" to me the loudest and this really surprised me. Not saying these were better builds or knocking down these other fine brands. I just didn't expect it. If I had the money at the time I would have bought the L36 on the spot. It was that good for my style of playing.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Mark, I know what you mean. I pulled the trigger on a "47" in January and I play it more than anything else including my Collings, Taylors, and Guild.

You gotta get one! I imagine you will be super stoked!

Last edited by waterlooz; 03-28-2023 at 03:00 PM. Reason: words
Old 03-28-2023, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

i have an L36 and it’s the best L-00 type i’ve played. Just fantastic. Some might quibble with the slimmer neck but that aside hard to beat. i also have a 0 size Dust Bowl, his all hog variant. chunkier neck and also a winner, i like it better than a santa cruz 00 1939 that i once owned, and that’s saying a lot.
Old 03-28-2023, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlooz View Post
Mark, I know what you mean. I pulled the trigger on a "47" in January and I play it more than anything else including my Collings, Taylors, and Guild.

You gotta get one! I imagine you will be super stoked!
Yes I agree. I literally can't stop thinking about the experience lol. Both these were aged and that's usually not my thing. Both had baked Adi tops and had the projection and feel of a well broken in pre war. Serious jones goin!
Old 03-28-2023, 03:54 PM

I've never heard of this particular guitar (and I'm a frequent reader here).
Who makes these?
I'm intrigued - not that I have any business being intrigued - just a bad habit
Old 03-28-2023, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF dad View Post
I've never heard of this particular guitar (and I'm a frequent reader here).
Who makes these?
I'm intrigued - not that I have any business being intrigued - just a bad habit
https://atkinguitars.com/
Old 03-28-2023, 04:39 PM

The sounds leaps out of my Atkin 47. I could hardly believe it when I came across it in a guitar shop. I immediately tried all the other makes and none came near the Atkin. I include very high end names in "all the others", it's a very good shop. They were patient with me, luckily, and the Atkin came home.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

I recently picked up a D47. As I was checking it out in the shops' acoustic room there were 2 other accomplished players also sampling the fine guitars there.

Among the guitars in the "high end " room, were instuments from Bourgeios, Colings, PKT, Gallagher, Boucher, and Bedell. All three of us agreed that the the Atkin was the best guitar in the room. My intent was to buy a Boucher, and the guitars they had were the highest level they make, and still the Atkin, to my ear, was the best one in the room. I play it almost every day.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:15 AM

I owned a 47 for a while and it was a superb guitar that I would have kept if I hadn't fallen hard for larger bodied guitars.
2003 Gibson J-45
2011 Flammang J-55
2015 Gibson J-45TV
2019 Martin D-18 39A
2021 Martin HD-28V Adi
2021 Gibson J-185 52 Historic
Old 03-29-2023, 07:26 AM

I’d be keen to try out an Atkin. I like the thought of a high-end UK built guitar that doesn’t have a modern sound profile.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
I’d be keen to try out an Atkin. I like the thought of a high-end UK built guitar that doesn’t have a modern sound profile.
GuitarGuitar in Glasgow had some in stock when I visited a month or so ago.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
GuitarGuitar in Glasgow had some in stock when I visited a month or so ago.
I really like Guitar Guitar Glasgow, I usually go to the Edinburgh one as it’s closer to me but Glasgow’s dedicated acoustic room is great.

Old 03-29-2023, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I'm super interested in the Atkin small bodies.

One minor concern. I see some of them relisted and used on the CME website, and there have been several in the last few months that have been listed with a repaired top crack.

Are these more prone to cracking than other guitars? I find it a bit shocking that someone would buy a new $4k guitar and not have at least some understanding of proper humidification.
Old 03-29-2023, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

When shopping at this level, it is important to keep an open mind, realize you are picking from an array of fine guitars, and find the guitar that meets your own uniqueness. I've been in shops playing this level of guitars with equally experienced friends and never have we liked the same guitar. This is why it's so interesting, and why so many builders survive.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-29-2023, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

I have a custom J-43 with the 1 3/4 nut and an essential 000. I also have 2 Martins one being a OM-MD and the other a Custom Shop OM. I can tell you that the Atkin 000 will blow the doors off both of the Martins. Every time I think about downsizing the herd I play my Atkins and always say to myself I can't believe I considered selling one of them.

I haven't heard about Atkins being prone to top cracks. I read somewhere or saw a video with Alister saying that their torrification process strengthens the guitar and makes them less subjective to humidity issues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion