The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2023, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nctom View Post
Why "should" we, we already own the best . I'm sure the folks at Iris looked over Waterloo before they started building.
I took “Waterloo lusters” to mean folks who would love to have one but can’t find one or don’t want to pay those prices. Iris and Waterloo have a similar vibe they are going for and are also a (cough) budget line of a well regarded small company.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 03-30-2023, 06:34 AM

Well.......while I am sure Iris guitars can be customised, their standard model lists all seem to have 1 11/16” nut and narrow bridge spacing......while the Waterloo first models grabbed attention of people who wanted what most guitar companies didn’t make much...1 3/4” nut, 2 3/8” bridge space, nice chunky V neck, great build and intonation etc.

Even though I bought the X model first, there were no ladders around but as soon as I could I had it! And they are both very versatile musically because of the nice build and materials, superb!

X is nearly 8 YO!

Ladder about 6 or 7.

BluesKing777.
Old 03-30-2023, 06:43 AM

You don’t have to convince me, I love my WL-K! Just pointing out my interpretation of the post about Iris as an alternative. I’m sure they are great guitars too. Honestly my biggest issue is I can’t get past that headstock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Well.......while I am sure Iris guitars can be customised, their standard model lists all seem to have 1 11/16” nut and narrow bridge spacing......while the Waterloo first models grabbed attention of people who wanted what most guitar companies didn’t make much...1 3/4” nut, 2 3/8” bridge space, nice chunky V neck, great build and intonation etc.

Even though I bought the X model first, there were no ladders around but as soon as I could I had it! And they are both very versatile musically because of the nice build and materials, superb!

X is nearly 8 YO!

Ladder about 6 or 7.

BluesKing777.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 03-30-2023, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

What I think both guitars share is that they are very responsive. Much more so than any other guitars that I have experienced. A bit of info I ran into on this forum today is that the gal that used to carve to top braces of Waterloo guitars is now working at Iris.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...1&d=1680184978
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iris-og-12-fret-sitka-mahogany.jpg (57.1 KB, 284 views)

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 03-30-2023, 12:14 PM

I don t know whether someone has done a comparison between one of the Stelloid waterloos and an original Oscar Schmidt, but from the specs I get the impression that while the Gibson like waterloos are quite accurate impressions of Kalamazoo and Gibson guitars, this seems less so with the Stella and Souvereign inspired instruments.
The size of the Waterloo is between OS concert and grand concert size, and the woods differ as well. The typical Schmidt was built with mahogany, oak or birch back and sides and cherry was at the very least uncommon. Most of the grand concert guitars also had a long scale length.26.5''.
I dont have any first hand experience with waterloos, I do own two Schmidt build guitars and while I dont doubt the Waterlooo is a better guitar it is far from a copy of a stella, for better or worse. An original Stella is generally a lot cheaper though.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:55 PM

Well, I just know a couple of you Waterloozers will understand this......I have looked before without luck and looked again now, to see if there is a range of Waterloo Guitar...HATS! I have a few guitar hats and a few car hats and a couple of corp hats....

Zip. No Waterloo WL-14L hat.......yet.

So here is my thinking that I explained to the Better Half.....there are no Waterloo hats but they have various Collings hats...but I have NO Collings.

And a quick look on reverb shows that nice Collings C10-35 blacktop.........

Hmmm.

P.S. I had a lovely full material Maton cap that they don't make anymore - and it blew off my head into the sea when walking out on the jetty......I imagine some fishing type will have nabbed it and dried it, and probably standing there fishing with a Maton cap on right now!

BluesKing777.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:02 PM

An all black cap would look mighty fine with that C10!

Old 03-31-2023, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Well, I just know a couple of you Waterloozers will understand this......I have looked before without luck and looked again now, to see if there is a range of Waterloo Guitar...HATS! I have a few guitar hats and a few car hats and a couple of corp hats....

Zip. No Waterloo WL-14L hat.......yet.

So here is my thinking that I explained to the Better Half.....there are no Waterloo hats but they have various Collings hats...but I have NO Collings.

And a quick look on reverb shows that nice Collings C10-35 blacktop.........

Hmmm.

P.S. I had a lovely full material Maton cap that they don't make anymore - and it blew off my head into the sea when walking out on the jetty......I imagine some fishing type will have nabbed it and dried it, and probably standing there fishing with a Maton cap on right now!

BluesKing777.

No hat but this t-shirt looks a bit special:

https://collings-guitars.myshopify.c...rt-black-frost

Regarding Iris specs you're correct, they do offer an alternative 1 3/4" nut width and 2 5/16" string spacing. Nice to see they appreciate us finger pickers out there too.
Old 03-31-2023, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontewright View Post
No hat but this t-shirt looks a bit special:

https://collings-guitars.myshopify.c...rt-black-frost

Regarding Iris specs you're correct, they do offer an alternative 1 3/4" nut width and 2 5/16" string spacing. Nice to see they appreciate us finger pickers out there too.
Yes, saw that t-shirt and hoped they had a hat.....

No.

But first person asks if you are an Abba fan and it goes in the creek!

BluesKing777.
Old 03-31-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, saw that t-shirt and hoped they had a hat.....

No.

But first person asks if you are an Abba fan and it goes in the creek!

BluesKing777.

Haha yeh definitely not the vibe I'd be looking for....kind of the exact opposite!
Old 03-31-2023, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontewright View Post
Haha yeh definitely not the vibe I'd be looking for....kind of the exact opposite!
Thinking, thinking....sorry...

In the video blurb for Waterloos, they tell us that Waterloo was the earlier name for Austin, TX.....

So I thought it may have been better to have a hat with ‘Austin Guitars’ on it.

But we can’t have Austin on a hat as car nuts will think we like ...err.....old Austin A30 bubble cars or something.

So I need a hat with just WL-14 and a pic! Thanks.

BluesKing777.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

There are hat places that I've seen online that put whatever you want on a hat.

Old 04-01-2023, 04:56 PM

I was kidding....sort of!

I don’t really want a custom hat, don’t think....?

Besides, it is F1 Grand Prix weekend and I get to wear my Ferrari F1 Team hat! True!

BluesKing777.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

There was a new nitro WL-S Deluxe that came out and was for sale by a music store. I got a Facebook notice from Waterloo and in less than a day it was posted on Reverb. It lasted two days, maybe. $4,760. Gone.

Old 04-13-2023, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Just curious what would be considered a fair price for a WL-14 black top w/tortoise pickguard in very good condition....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion