The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2019, 11:53 AM

Arrow Which strings to use on a guitar tuned one step down?

Greetings, I'm intending to try using Igor Prensyakov's tuning, with all six strings one step down (DGCFAd):

Which strings do you think would be more suitable for playing with this tuning?
For classical I was thinking hard tension and then for acoustic 0.13 gauge (the acoustic gtr. I have is a Taylor gs mini), but I'm not completely sure it works that way.

-Generic classical guitar, no electronics (Medium tension strings)
-Taylor GS Mini-E Walnut (0.13 strings)
Mics: Rode M5, match pair, small diaphragm. Also AT2020, large diaphragm.
PC: Win 8, Netbook, 4GB RAM
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Suite
Interface: TASCAM Us-144 MK II
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:59 AM

Good question. I will be interested to read responses. I would like to tune to D, but have not had very good results so far.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:35 PM

I now have a number of my guitars tuned down a step .. primarily for singing. I still use the strings I used previously. The strings have not made any difference to me. Some are guitars with light strings from the factory, others are dreads that use medium strings.

Corey
2015 Taylor 214
2010 Martin D18 Standard
2017 Taylor 410 Rosewood
2017 Taylor Mini GS -E Walnut
Martin D12X1AE 12 String
Bugera AC60 Amp
Acoustic A20 Amp
Old 01-31-2019, 12:39 PM

These are worth looking at:

https://newtonestrings.com/shop/nick...class-strings/
Old 01-31-2019, 01:18 PM

It really does come down to personal preference: how much tension on the strings do you like?
Old 01-31-2019, 01:20 PM

It shouldn't matter. I tune my guitar down a full step as well and use the same strings I always use - John Pearse PB .13-.56

In fact I'm constantly tuning between a full step down, standard, various versions of open G, etc... I've never noticed any negative impact from the different tunings.

My YouTube Grooves
Old 01-31-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdoctor View Post
It shouldn't matter. I tune my guitar down a full step as well and use the same strings I always use - John Pearse PB .13-.56

In fact I'm constantly tuning between a full step down, standard, various versions of open G, etc... I've never noticed any negative impact from the different tunings.
What he said.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:16 PM

Had a Guild JF-4 about 20 years ago that I used to tune down to D-standard for a quasi-baritone sound, set it up with D'Addario EJ18 14-59 PB and a little extra neck relief...
Old 01-31-2019, 04:07 PM

I recently started tuning a dreadnought down a full step. I just kept the D’Addario 80/20s, .012-.053 on it. It was my first full-scale guitar, and even after setting it up to improve the action, I still didn’t like the string tension (setup does nothing about that) - hard to bend, especially with my pinkie.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

I've tried tuning a step down on one of my side guitars for a few songs that strain my voice, and it's like playing rubber bands, and with less projection than normally tuned.

I believe others with the same experience have added thicker strings. I.e. I use lights or medium lights, and I've been meaning to try one step up in circumference.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:58 PM

Maybe I should point out that the style I'm playing in classical guitar and fingerstyle on acoustic.

I use medium tension on the classical one.
0.12 or 0.13 on the taylor gs mini (consider it's a 7/8 model)

-Generic classical guitar, no electronics (Medium tension strings)
-Taylor GS Mini-E Walnut (0.13 strings)
Mics: Rode M5, match pair, small diaphragm. Also AT2020, large diaphragm.
PC: Win 8, Netbook, 4GB RAM
DAW: Ableton Live 9 Suite
Interface: TASCAM Us-144 MK II
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

I would call Taylor Guitars factory and ask. On a regular size guitar, I seem to recall that if a guitar usually uses lights, say, 12 to 53, the mediums, say, 13 to 56, would be equivalent tension tuned a half step down and heavies, say, 14 to 59, would be equivalent tension tuned a whole step down. Heavy strings might require the nut slots be filed.

Some guitars work well tuned a whole step down, some don't. I have a Guild F50R that sounds good a whole step down and I didn't have to do any setup change.

Jackson Browne tunes acoustics down a whole step quite often.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:31 PM

Default Mediums for steel-string.

I find typical light-gauge strings (12-53 and my preference for standard tuning) just too loose and weak sounding when dropped down a full tone. Mediums, 13-56, are better and will still have quite a lot less tension than light gauge at concert pitch.

As for classical strings. You might struggle to find a string with enough mass to give a satisfactory sound when tuned down a full tone. Savarez Corum Alliance Hard tension would be worth trying, or maybe D’Addario Extra Hard (actually less tension than the Savarez strings).
Old 01-31-2019, 10:49 PM

I recommend mediums (13-56) for a full step down. Lights (12-53/54) are just way too slinky, buzzy, and sloppy sounding at a full step IMO.

If you go with heavy (14-59) you might have to widen some nut slots lest you get string binding or other issues, and that isn't ideal in the long-term unless you only want to use that gauge with that guitar. So just start with mediums first and see how you like it.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacatedral View Post
Which strings do you think would be more suitable for playing with this tuning?
For classical I was thinking hard tension and then for acoustic 0.13 gauge
Definitely hard tension on the classical *but* one make's hard tension= another make's low tension! There is no standard, I ended up making a spreadsheet of all the main manufacturers' tension readings for each set as a reference. Hannabach make the highest tension strings that I found.

For the steel strung you *might* find 12's Ok for just dropping a tone it depends on how low your action is and how you like the strings to feel. 13s would be a better bet though I think.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion