The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 AM

Default Nickel vs Phosphor-Bronze Strings

Is it an accurate generalization to say that wound phosphor-bronze (PB) strings are brighter than their nickel counterparts? And, do wound nickel strings, being a darker sounding string, go dead sooner than PB strings? I've always used PB strings because I always thought nickel strings would go dead sooner and I like a brighter wound string. PB strings seem to "settle in" at just the right brightness, at least for a while...until they go dead. Thank you.

Tom
Old 02-02-2013, 10:24 AM

Tom, I'm still trying to attach adjectives to describing nickels vis-a-vis PB and 80/20 amalgams. After reading Tony's and Peter's way of putting it, perhaps the word "brighter" is not the right one to use as a benchmark. Here's what they said regarding nickels, specifically Tony's old D'Aquisto signatures:

From Acoustic Guitar Magazine, March 2005

Rice uses nickel-plated D’Aquisto Tony Rice Signature Series strings because he prefers them to the “bright ringy sound” of bronze or brass strings.

Rowan prefers DR strings and says their combination of a thinner core with a thicker winding makes for a medium-gauge string that’s not as stiff as other strings. But “for hardcore bluegrass, you need some bounce,” so Rowan uses the same D’Aquisto nickel-wound medium-gauge strings as Rice. “I should probably change them every other show,” he says. “But I don’t at all, until something starts to sound bad. The deader the string, up to a point, the more you hear the guitar.” He also observes that nickel strings “don’t have the sweetness of bronze or the smoothness of brass, but they have a very neutral sound, and you hear the real tone of the instrument.

"Neutral" seems to be the word that bypasses both "brighter" and "darker" where nickels are involved.

Quote:
Is it an accurate generalization to say that wound phosphor-bronze (PB) strings are brighter than their nickel counterparts?
Short answer: yes...but: they are a different class of brightness, and that depends on the guitar. I use John Pearse nickels from time to time on my D-18 and 000-15S, and as expected they sound different from wood to wood. If only we could hit a "Save" button on our guitars when the right string has finally broken in to the right degree...life would be even sweeter.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbluegrass View Post
Is it an accurate generalization to say that wound phosphor-bronze (PB) strings are brighter than their nickel counterparts? And, do wound nickel strings, being a darker sounding string, go dead sooner than PB strings? I've always used PB strings because I always thought nickel strings would go dead sooner and I like a brighter wound string. PB strings seem to "settle in" at just the right brightness, at least for a while...until they go dead. Thank you.

Tom
Tom,
The basic answer is yes, PB are brighter to start with, and no, NW don't go dead sooner.

Also: Gauge for gauge the NW are lower tension than the PB because nickel is lighter than Bronze. Less weight=Less tension to pitch.

HE
Old 03-29-2023, 04:58 PM

Default Figured it out

Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings w/ a Wound G on an Acoustic Guitar (which I've used on my Jasmine S35) do react & sound a bit like Silver Plated Copper Wound Argentine Gypsy Jazz Strings so they're not as bright as bronze strings, it's more of a Gypsy Jazz sound.
Old 03-30-2023, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

I have a new (to me) guitar that is very loud, resonant and extremely mid-forward. Due to a hearing malady (severe tinnitus and hyperacusis from military service) this sound is grating on my ears and aggravates my tinnitus when I strum hard with a pick. So I have been looking for anything that will 'calm down' those extreme overtones and darken and warm up the sound.

I have just recently been doing a deep-dive here on AGF on this very subject. My research through use of the 'Search' function revealed many past threads with people discussing this. The generally held common opinions and experiences seemed to be that 80/20 is brighter than PB and PB is brighter than Nickel. The other opinion was that Nickel lasts much longer than PB.

I had been using John Pearse PB New Mediums which is my preferred strings on my RainSong dread. I tried the John Pearse Pure Nickels and also the Martin Retro Monels. Both of these strings did indeed darken and warm up the tone significantly and I was very pleased and looking forward to the purported longer life than the 3 weeks I get out of the JP PB's.

However, I found the nickel plating gave the tone an extremely noticeable 'clink' to the tone when strumming hard. I attributed this at least in part to the wide string spacing of the guitar (2 5/16") and also the the pick material of my preferred Blue Chip picks. I tried several things to dampen this (different picks, shapes, attack) but finally had to abandon the Nickel strings altogether.

So now I'm back to the JP PB New Mediums and that clink is gone. A search on 'Metallic' sounds from strings led me to try a few new sets of PB strings that are on the way. I've got some GHS Vintage Bronze and GHS Silk & Bronze strings on the way which are purported to be the warmest of the PB offerings. I'm hoping that does the trick for me as I really love the guitar.
Old 03-30-2023, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have a new (to me) guitar that is very loud, resonant and extremely mid-forward. Due to a hearing malady (severe tinnitus and hyperacusis from military service) this sound is grating on my ears and aggravates my tinnitus when I strum hard with a pick. So I have been looking for anything that will 'calm down' those extreme overtones and darken and warm up the sound.

I have just recently been doing a deep-dive here on AGF on this very subject. My research through use of the 'Search' function revealed many past threads with people discussing this. The generally held common opinions and experiences seemed to be that 80/20 is brighter than PB and PB is brighter than Nickel. The other opinion was that Nickel lasts much longer than PB.

I had been using John Pearse PB New Mediums which is my preferred strings on my RainSong dread. I tried the John Pearse Pure Nickels and also the Martin Retro Monels. Both of these strings did indeed darken and warm up the tone significantly and I was very pleased and looking forward to the purported longer life than the 3 weeks I get out of the JP PB's.

However, I found the nickel plating gave the tone an extremely noticeable 'clink' to the tone when strumming hard. I attributed this at least in part to the wide string spacing of the guitar (2 5/16") and also the the pick material of my preferred Blue Chip picks. I tried several things to dampen this (different picks, shapes, attack) but finally had to abandon the Nickel strings altogether.

So now I'm back to the JP PB New Mediums and that clink is gone. A search on 'Metallic' sounds from strings led me to try a few new sets of PB strings that are on the way. I've got some GHS Vintage Bronze and GHS Silk & Bronze strings on the way which are purported to be the warmest of the PB offerings. I'm hoping that does the trick for me as I really love the guitar.
I've tried lots of strings on my rainsong and concluded Thomastik-Infeld Plectrums the richest sounding toning. They seem to compliment the CF nicely. Spendy but to e worth it.
p
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 03-30-2023, 09:11 AM

I have given up! I surrender! I will turn 77 in July and I have neither the time nor the inclination to put a lot of effort into chasing a sound or a tone that I can no longer hear, so I buy what’s cheap and plentiful. Right now I’m playing Martin 540’s (PB’s) in either 12’s or 13’s sizes. These often go on sale at the big box stores for dirt cheap. I like the 13’s but they make my fingers hurt if I play more than about an hour or so. I have two Rosewood Dreads and I keep 12’s on one and 13’s on the other so that when I overextend a bit, I can just switch gears.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

If you like a mellower tone, the Martin Nickel Monels are nice. They sound like junk the first few days and then settle in nicely.

I like PB strings although I bought some 80/20 and a hybrid set recently. The 80/20s are sitting in inventory and the hybrid set is on my Pellerin which I haven't played much since putting the hybrids on. First impression was I hated them

My one time favorite tone was Gibson 80/20 on my J-45. Now I'm into sustain until tomorrow.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-30-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
I've tried lots of strings on my rainsong and concluded Thomastik-Infeld Plectrums the richest sounding toning. They seem to compliment the CF nicely. Spendy but to e worth it.
p
I agree with you regarding the rich tone of Plectrums - the next best (and cheaper) string I found was La Bella Silk & Steels.

GHS Silk & Bronze feel and play like regular PB strings .. but with a warmer tone.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-30-2023, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

Scott, I know we talked about the JP Nickels and the Martin Monels, sorry they didn't work for you. I am curious to hear your findings with GHS V Bronze and Silk and Bronze. Hope they work for you.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion