The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 12-26-2022, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Default $1295. Composite Acoustic Carbon Fiber - Artist Series Bluegrass Performer.

I've had at least 10 full-sized Composite Acoustic Guitars in my home. (And half a dozen Cargo.) Long story. Tone is subjective. However, of all the full-sized CA I've had, I consider this one of the top two tonally. My son agrees. This really sounds wonderful. Perhaps it is because this is particularly light in weight. This unit comes in right under 4 lbs and 4 ounces. Interestingly, the units can vary considerably in weight - perhaps because some have more resin applied and some less. Anyways, this one is lightweight, especially considering the size of the body. I think this likely contributes to the liveliness/resonance. I believe that these come with stainless steel frets, so there is never going to be the need for a refret.

This is in the pure acoustic configuration. No barn door on the side. Most of these models were electrified with a barn door cutout. With this unit, you can install whatever pick-up you may desire.

Of all the guitars that I've played by CA, the bluegrass model has been my favorite after playing almost all of their models.

Condition is very good. No dents or dings. Includes a form-fitting semi-hard case with Cordura nylon outer.

I prefer Southern California pick up in person if possible. However, happy to ship if buyer will cover shipping. F&F Paypal.

Please PM if interested.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8Y5A0643_cr LABEL - Copy.jpg (40.6 KB, 1444 views)
File Type: jpg 8Y5A0641_cr Front SMALL.jpg (18.6 KB, 1439 views)
File Type: jpg 8Y5A0642_cr Back Small.jpg (13.2 KB, 1423 views)
File Type: jpg 8Y5A0645_cr LOGO SMALL.jpg (23.9 KB, 1430 views)
File Type: jpg 8Y5A0638_cr Rosette SMALL.jpg (49.7 KB, 1447 views)

Last edited by PTL; 10-21-2023 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-07-2023, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

For those looking for a guitar that is impervious to humidity issues and exhibits fantastic tuning stability, here's one. Composite Acoustic has a reputation for being more 'wooden' sounding than most carbon fiber guitars. I agree. You can just hang this within arms reach at all time without worrying about environmental issues.
Old 03-03-2023, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Bump for a wonderful and worry free guitar. Hang it on your wall for quick access and never worry about humidity issues.
Old 03-26-2023, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Price adjustment to $1395.... I am quite curious as to what the market pricing is going to be for a superb CA to sell.
Old 03-27-2023, 04:28 PM

Default $1395 Composite Acoustic Carbon Fiber - Artist Series Bluegrass Performer

CA was headquartered in my home town before being sold off to Peavey back in 2009 or 2010. I have one an early proto from the first days in 2001. Still play it; played it today actually. Back then, they were still using ebony fretboards and bridges before making the guitars 100% carbon fiber. Looks like yours may be from those days before all-carbon. I’m sure she sounds great. Wish I had the spare cash to take her off your hands. CA holds a special place for me :-) Best wishes with the sale.
CA Legacy 2001
Old 03-28-2023, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

I had one of these many moons ago and it was fantastic. Very tempting!
Old 03-28-2023, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfaulk View Post
CA was headquartered in my home town before being sold off to Peavey back in 2009 or 2010. I have one an early proto from the first days in 2001. Still play it; played it today actually. Back then, they were still using ebony fretboards and bridges before making the guitars 100% carbon fiber. Looks like yours may be from those days before all-carbon. I’m sure she sounds great. Wish I had the spare cash to take her off your hands. CA holds a special place for me :-) Best wishes with the sale.
Thanks for bringing back good memories. I do remember that their early ones had ebony fingerboards and bridges indeed. And they used X-bracing all the way to the very end.

This one does have a full carbon fiber fingerboard and bridge. Your post gave me a double take and I immediately jumped to check because I'm told that it is actually one of their later productions before they sold. I can't know for sure because I don't know how to interpret their serial numbers.

However, I actually believe that this is one of their custom jobs. Here's why:

1. I had an electrified OX and wanted a pure acoustic. So I ordered directly from the factory and had plenty of conversations with them. The Ox they sent me was clearly better acoustically than the other Ox. THAT was eye-opening.

2. This unit is actually somewhat deeper in body depth than their regular Bluegrass model, and yet also noticeably lighter. However, it is comfortable because there is a large curve on the back so that the widest bout depth is about 7/8" thinner than the endpin area. The bridge is also lighter in the sense that it is not as thick. I believe that someone at the factory went the extra mile to make this one particularly resonant.

3. It seems to have custom specified tuners. At least I think it is specifically custom ordered because I have not seen this tuner on any of the other 16 or so CA that passed through my hands.

I wish we had access to some of the craftsmen from the original factory so that we can ask more question.

Last edited by PTL; 03-28-2023 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2023, 07:29 PM

Am I correct that this is a full scale dread? Sorry, having a hard time finding specs online.
Tnx
Old 03-30-2023, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwandsh View Post
Am I correct that this is a full scale dread? Sorry, having a hard time finding specs online.
Tnx
Yes, this is their regular scale length. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTL View Post
Thanks for bringing back good memories. I do remember that their early ones had ebony fingerboards and bridges indeed. And they used X-bracing all the way to the very end.

This one does have a full carbon fiber fingerboard and bridge. Your post gave me a double take and I immediately jumped to check because I'm told that it is actually one of their later productions before they sold. I can't know for sure because I don't know how to interpret their serial numbers.

However, I actually believe that this is one of their custom jobs. Here's why:

1. I had an electrified OX and wanted a pure acoustic. So I ordered directly from the factory and had plenty of conversations with them. The Ox they sent me was clearly better acoustically than the other Ox. THAT was eye-opening.

2. This unit is actually somewhat deeper in body depth than their regular Bluegrass model, and yet also noticeably lighter. However, it is comfortable because there is a large curve on the back so that the widest bout depth is about 7/8" thinner than the endpin area. The bridge is also lighter in the sense that it is not as thick. I believe that someone at the factory went the extra mile to make this one particularly resonant.

3. It seems to have custom specified tuners. At least I think it is specifically custom ordered because I have not seen this tuner on any of the other 16 or so CA that passed through my hands.

I wish we had access to some of the craftsmen from the original factory so that we can ask more question.

I live in Maine now, but the original factory in my hometown had a worker who still lives there and is a guitar builder and technician in his own right. I went to him a few years ago to do a setup on an older Taylor I own and asked him some questions about his time at CA. Haven’t talked to him in years. Wonder if he’s on social media or something … that WOULD be some great questions to ask.

My brother in law worked at an industrial supply company that regularly supplied materials to them so he would regularly head to the warehouse to drop things off. He went there for a delivery while they were “closing up shop.” He said it was crazy in the shop; it happened super fast. Such a shame; they had such a great product. The founder of the company I believe, after it all ended, helped McPherson get THEIR carbon line going.
CA Legacy 2001
Old 10-21-2023, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Price drop to $1295. Much prefer local face to face sale in Southern California. Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars