The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-15-2018, 11:36 AM

Default verylast custombuild the "spider" with the last new soundfile

Hi folks,
after my last custombuild (perhaps you will remember
I couldn't resist to such a lot of innovations (to me) at the last holy grail guitar show in Berlin, so here I present my verylast custombuild with a spider from a young talented luthier in Berlin, Tobias Traub, with the label oroborus customs (https://www.oroboruscustoms.com/).
First I will show the main woods and you will remark, that I present three boards in a special form.
The reason therefore is that the back shall swing as a very thin responsive back and needs some shelter with a second back. The soundboard is a mountainspruce, the responsive back a olivewood and the "dummyback" a walnut.
I hope you will enjoy the thread and it will wake up your interest like it did to mine at Berlin.
Later more of this special "Spiderguitar", the name of the model.

all the best

guitarchie

Last edited by guitarchie; 09-14-2019 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Very nice design and beautiful woods. I look forward to following this thread and how this guitar build progresses.

Best,
Jayne
Old 11-21-2018, 06:27 AM

Default bended sides

Hi folks,

the sides are bended from that nice walnutset. At this time you can only notice the special form of the spider, implied with the pics of soundboard and backs.

all the best

guitarchie

Last edited by guitarchie; 09-14-2019 at 04:40 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:24 AM

Default the first back

Hi folks,

meanwhile the first back - the responisve one from olivewood - is clued in, has it's bracing and the lining for the second back - the "dummyback" -, but about this later on.
Honestly I have to say that I only played a spider in Berlin without dummyback, without soundholefunnel (hoping that's the right translation) and I can imagine the theory behind these parts but I'm really looking forward to the result for the voice.

all the best

guitarchie

Last edited by guitarchie; 09-14-2019 at 04:41 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:50 PM

Hi folks,

my first dummy-back seems to be prepared.
To my opinion there are two reasons for this construction.
On the one hand Tobias wants to create a responsive thin swinging back and he made the experience that the soundwaves have to find a way out, so he usually makes these soundholes in the stiff dummy-back that gives this indispensable shelter for the responsive back.
On the other hand we have a side benefit, will say that while playing you don't impair the swinging soundbox by touching it with your belly, and even if you are slim, sometimes you need a stable position for the soundbox.
I always remarked that David Anthony Reid's vaultbacks sound quite better, if you don't come in contact with that vaultback.
So I'm really looking forward to the result visual and auditory.

I hope you'd enjoy, all the best

guitarchie

Old 12-03-2018, 06:07 AM

Very interesting, and very innovative! Certainly worth trying! I love the idea of a thin back. I believe the paper thin BRW backs are part of the magic of 1890's Martin guitars. They are fragile, and adding a protective back is smart idea.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

How did I miss this thread?!? Love the innovations and look of this design ... love this young Tobias Traub's work!
Old 12-06-2018, 07:37 AM

Default bell or horn of a guitar

hi folks,

now we have another speciality, I've seen really rare in the last years, the soundhole bell.
It has to do with "helmholtz-resonator" on the physical side and that means that the power of a resonator depends on the heighth and volume of the aircolumn, but I suppose Tobias did try in which way he is able to augment the power of a guitar's voice especially in the bass-range. So that's a result of theory and doing, the best symbiosis human beings are able to do.
I'm still really looking forward to the next steps but most for the voice of this guitar.

all the best

guitarchie

Old 12-06-2018, 08:11 AM

Very interesting concept and beautiful work
Old 12-11-2018, 09:50 AM

Default bevel

hi folks,

the next step is the bevel. It's made from the wonderful olivewood, which is also used for the responsive back.
It's rather wide and very comfortable.

I'm really looking forward to the soundport, because we made some thoughts what could be associated with a spider.
It seems to get finished in time before christmas.

all the best

guitarchie

Old 12-12-2018, 04:27 PM

Default the neck

Hi folks,
now it has a neck and the first oil-finish but I suppose the next pics will impress you the most because of the soundport. We thought a scorpion could be a wonderful supplement to the spider like player and food or whatever you will associate.
I hope you enjoy the thread and I'm looking forward to the soundport.

all the best

guitarchie

Last edited by guitarchie; 09-14-2019 at 04:42 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Very interesting! Do let us know your impressions. A recording would register extra points.

Finally: your last build? We will see!

Thanks for sharing.

Best -
John
Old 12-16-2018, 05:29 AM

Default soundport artist

Hi folks,

what could suit better a spider than a scorpion.
I forgot to mention that Tobias is not only a very innovative and excellent luthier, he is also a breathtaking inlay-artist.
So we had the confidence to try a soundport as a scorpion in the full knowledge that the difficulties will grow the more naturalistic the design will be.
To my opinion he succeeded at all levels. I hope you will enjoy it.

Again I'm still looking forward with a big pleasant anticipation to the voice of this wonderful guitar.

By the way I want to remark, that the case is made by Artur Benedykt from Poland,

http://www.benedykt-art-case.com/

especially made after a template from Tobias. It's made from special plywood with a shelter from "Eco-leather" and even to me it will be a surprise which shelter he has choosen.
So I suppose there could be some christmas-surprise besides the voice of the guitar.

all the best

guitarchie

Old 12-20-2018, 03:55 PM

Default a finished spider

hi folks,

it's unbelievable, but it is really finished in time. Yesterday day Arturs case arrived in Berlin and today it arrived at my home.
To me it has a breathtaking looking and a wonderful warm and deep amd powerful voice, even it has nearly been never played.

thank you so much for looking and the kind and friendly comments.
Perhaps I can share a little soundfile the next days.

with my best wishes for happy and healthy and peacefuk holydays

guitarchie

Old 12-20-2018, 04:04 PM

Thumbs up

Very cool looking guitar. Please post some sound clips when you get the chance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop