The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Sometimes I'll use a locking technique, sometimes not. They both work... except for round core. And while there is nothing wrong in what Barry said about the need to let round core strings "settle in" before cutting. You can do that, but it's not necessary if you take the proper steps during installation.

The windings on round core strings can move if you don't take precautions. You want to make sure that a 90° crimp is made at the tuning peg to help lock the windings in position. I then used the locking technique futher secure the entire string, windings and all. Lastly, before trimming the string I place one more crush-crimp just below where I'm going to trim to insure the windings aren't going anywhere.

The one thing you will rarely see mentioned anywhere is DON'T STRETCH THE STRINGS! This is where you can disturb the relation of the windings on a round core string. Just tune the guitar up to pitch, play, retune- until the strings all stabilize for pitch. I've found that there is no need to stretch strings and that after 3 or 4 cycles of tuning/playing/tuning they settle just fine. I saw this tip on a website of a string manufacturer that makes round core and stopped stretching strings without any issues. Just playing and retuning a few times will accomplish the same thing.
Good advice about *not* stretching strings, particularly on round core strings. DR actually mentioned that on their packaging, and I've learned that it's unnecessary on other strings.

BTW, although I find the Taylor method faster, since I always had trouble with my round core strings, I reverted back to the Martin method. Taylor method is definitely easier to remove!
Old 12-17-2018, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Good advice about *not* stretching strings, particularly on round core strings. DR actually mentioned that on their packaging, and I've learned that it's unnecessary on other strings.

Hi PV

Depends. If I'm restringing before a gig, they get stretched (actually within a day or two of a gig I stretch them).

Otherwise people are listening-to/watching me retune all night.

I don't have issues with people who don't stretch, as long as they don't string the guitar 30 minutes before the gig.

But stretching round-wound is definitely 'dangerous' business!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-17-2018, 02:04 PM

I don't go over/under, lock strings, or stretch them, but I do measure the length before cutting by pulling the string back from the nut one fret on the bass strings, two frets on the treble side, and hold them under tension while winding.

That gives you extra windings on the thinner strings and fills the center of the winding posts on all the strings.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
The one thing you will rarely see mentioned anywhere is DON'T STRETCH THE STRINGS! This is where you can disturb the relation of the windings on a round core string. Just tune the guitar up to pitch, play, retune- until the strings all stabilize for pitch. I've found that there is no need to stretch strings and that after 3 or 4 cycles of tuning/playing/tuning they settle just fine. I saw this tip on a website of a string manufacturer that makes round core and stopped stretching strings without any issues. Just playing and retuning a few times will accomplish the same thing.
To be clear (It is a monday, after all) you mean don't stretch round cores, or any string. (I think you mean round cores, but, yeah, that monday thing)
Old 12-17-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
When I first saw the Taylor method I thought it was odd that they didn't do the over and under thing but it holds just fine the Taylor way. Easiest way of stringing I have ever done. Never had an issue with it.
I approve! Didn't know I was doing the "Taylor" method, but it works great and so easy! Used to always do the over/under, but no more. No need to.
scott
Old 12-17-2018, 02:26 PM

Another interesting method how to resting a guitar but more applicable to electric:

https://www.musicradar.com/how-to/ho...tring-a-guitar
Ibanez SA 260 FM
Roland Cube Lite
Zoom G3XN
Bose S1 Pro
Old 12-17-2018, 02:28 PM

Welcome to the forum! The exact method of stringing a guitar is, in my experience, not nearly as delicate a process as some make it out to be.

I've tried both the Martin and Taylor way, and of course they both work great.

I have also found that the "stick-string-end-thru-hole-wind-peg-and-be-done-with-it" method works just as well, and the result is just as secure.

This is my preferred method, because it doesn't involve any special moves, which I can't remember and therefore have to look up each time I restring a guitar.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 12-17-2018, 02:48 PM

Um . . . I put the string through the hole and I bring it up to tension .. . .

Never seemed all that complicated that it required instruction except for silk wound nylon strings . . .
Old 12-17-2018, 03:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sometimes I'll use a locking technique, sometimes not. They both work... except for round core. And while there is nothing wrong in what Barry said about the need to let round core strings "settle in" before cutting. You can do that, but it's not necessary if you take the proper steps during installation.

The windings on round core strings can move if you don't take precautions. You want to make sure that a 90° crimp is made at the tuning peg to help lock the windings in position. I then used the locking technique futher secure the entire string, windings and all. Lastly, before trimming the string I place one more crush-crimp just below where I'm going to trim to insure the windings aren't going anywhere.

I took vindibonal1's advice on my last round core string change...and wha la!...it works very well. With Hex core I would stretch the strings. But with Round core..no stretching needed. They settle in pretty darn fast.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:34 PM

I’ve been using this method on all of my guitars for a few years now with fantastic results. Very little slippage and breakage this end

I also suspect the esteemed Mr Russell is a member on AGF. Respect to you sir, this is a great method

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=opmg6lK8FkY

1996 Martin HD28
2018 Martin OM28 reimagined
2016 Takamine P3MC
Gibson Les Paul ‘58 Custom Shop
Fender MiM ‘69 Thinline Reissue Telecaster
Old 12-17-2018, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

I have used the "Taylor" method since the early 2000's and find it very easy and the amount of windings ends up super. However, once, and only once, did I get in a hurry and I cut a string "AT" the post, instead of one post beyond! OOPS, had to get a string from another set! But love restringing that way!
Old 12-17-2018, 05:26 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Martin RETRO calls them "Flexible Core"

Those are roundcore? Oops!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-17-2018, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfreggie View Post
I have used the "Taylor" method since the early 2000's and find it very easy and the amount of windings ends up super. However, once, and only once, did I get in a hurry and I cut a string "AT" the post, instead of one post beyond! OOPS, had to get a string from another set! But love restringing that way!
I use the Taylor method because using the Martin method is more of a PITA to get the strings off when changing. I make one change to the Taylor method though - I don't trim the string until AFTER it's up to tension. Not because of any 'shock' or uncoiling concerns but rather because of what's quoted above. Did that once. Never again!
Old 12-17-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I use the Taylor method because using the Martin method is more of a PITA to get the strings off when changing. I make one change to the Taylor method though - I don't trim the string until AFTER it's up to tension. Not because of any 'shock' or uncoiling concerns but rather because of what's quoted above. Did that once. Never again!
I just re-checked the Taylor video clip and I'm restringing exactly like you - only trimming after I have some tension on the string.
They do mention that as an option on their clip.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-17-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I have also found that the "stick-string-end-thru-hole-wind-peg-and-be-done-with-it" method works just as well, and the result is just as secure.
That's properly called the "Bufflehead Method." I'm fairly certain I invented it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion