The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-17-2018, 11:30 AM

Default Writing Lyrics that Don't Suck

My favorite songwriters are not necessarily great musicians or singers. My favorite tunes are in the Bluegrass, folk, Americana, blues and other "roots" genres. With just 12 notes and a handful of rhythms, the possible combinations for these genres for melody and chord progressions are pretty well played out. The only new things to bring to the table are the words. That's why artists like Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Goodman, John Prine, Bob Dylan, James McMurtry, Slaid Cleaves, Joe Pug, Jeffrey Martin and others are so important to me.

I'm completely at peace with the fact that I'll never play as well as many iconic players. But I'm sometimes frustrated when I realize I'll probably never write a lyric like my songwriting heroes. I play and sing covers of songs that really hit the mark and don't waste time on banal, trite lyrics. The handful of songs I've written, however, just fall so short of the "good stuff" lyrically (melodically they're fine) that I don't want to play them.

Lots of posts on how to improve playing here; does anyone have suggestions on how to write better lyrics? Is it something you can practice? Are there writing exercises to suggest?
Old 12-17-2018, 11:56 AM

Yes, lyrics are the hard part! One can train oneself as a musician, learn the fingerings and the chord sequences, but it's hard to train oneself to be a poet.
My favourite Bob Dylan quote, which I've posted before, is when he was asked what he most proud of in his work. He said "making the words fit". I.e., it's not just about coming up with good enough words, it's making them fit the tune - getting the scansion and rhythms right, the right number of syllables per line. Making it into something you want to sing - that you almost can't resist singing.

But never mind all the people you mention (good as they are). If you want to hear truly awesome song lyrics, it has to be Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell, IMO. I love Dylan, but when it comes words he rarely matches those two. And Joni has sophisticated music to match! (Leonard and Bob stuck to good simple chords.)
Dylan's genius is in narrative, in taking you places, telling character stories - his best songs are like chapters plucked from some strange novel (the "folk ballad" par excellence); and in delivering a song as a performance: lyric, melody and vocal delivery all of a piece. But he's not the poet than Cohen and Mitchell are.

I think if there is one secret, it has to be that you need an IDEA first. There has to be something you really want (ideally need) to write a song about. And you need the kernel of a phrase - something that could be a song title, that rolls off the tongue, that could be easily sung. Without that "seed", nothing is going to grow, no matter how fertile your imagination!

Last edited by JonPR; 12-17-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for asking the question. I look forward to the responses. My 2 cents worth is, just keep doing it. And then rewrite as often as needed. The more you do it the better you will get.

Also, great lyrics can be underutilized if the melody does not support the words.
Prosody is often over looked. Try taking a lyric you wrote and singing it over several classic songs. My favorites are over the rainbow, under the board walk and fly me to the moon. If they don’t work/fit change the words and massage them until they do fit. I would never settle on the melody if the words fit but it can lead to ideas and phrasings that you might not have thought of. try writing words to fit the melody .

In regards to creative lyrics there are many tricks of the trade (craft). If you do a google search you can find many threads of advice. Read them all. Find a process that works for you.

Here is one web site I just found by googling. I like the advice. Might not work for you.

https://www.careersinmusic.com/a-pro...better-lyrics/
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 12-17-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:07 PM

It's a matter of perspective. I for one find it hard to come up with catchy melodies, and Rhythms, but lyrics are simple.
Maybe that is why we have the likes of Holland-Dozier-Holland, and Lennon-McCartney.

Ed
Old 12-17-2018, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
It's a matter of perspective. I for one find it hard to come up with catchy melodies, and Rhythms, but lyrics are simple.
Maybe that is why we have the likes of Holland-Dozier-Holland, and Lennon-McCartney.

Ed
No doubt it would be easy for one with the name of Edgar Poe.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-17-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
My favorite songwriters are not necessarily great musicians or singers. My favorite tunes are in the Bluegrass, folk, Americana, blues and other "roots" genres. With just 12 notes and a handful of rhythms, the possible combinations for these genres for melody and chord progressions are pretty well played out. The only new things to bring to the table are the words. That's why artists like Guy Clark, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Goodman, John Prine, Bob Dylan, James McMurtry, Slaid Cleaves, Joe Pug, Jeffrey Martin and others are so important to me.

I'm completely at peace with the fact that I'll never play as well as many iconic players. But I'm sometimes frustrated when I realize I'll probably never write a lyric like my songwriting heroes. I play and sing covers of songs that really hit the mark and don't waste time on banal, trite lyrics. The handful of songs I've written, however, just fall so short of the "good stuff" lyrically (melodically they're fine) that I don't want to play them.

Lots of posts on how to improve playing here; does anyone have suggestions on how to write better lyrics? Is it something you can practice? Are there writing exercises to suggest?
I am going to suggest that you have somebody else evaluate your songs. We are often are our own worst enemy when it comes to evaluating our own work.

Yes, experts stress being critical and tough on your own work, but how far do you want to take that?

Maybe your songs have potential, can be re-worked or are actually are of merit?
Not every good song is immediately recognized as such. Not every song that "makes" it is really a good song. Like many things... eye of the beholder.
Also, think of every song as practice toward writing "the one."

Don't be too hard on yourself. Let others hear your work and get feedback.

Yes, keep looking for ways to improve. One way is to just keep going.
Old 12-17-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post

Ed
I agree, words are simple. Just listen to what is currently popular in most any genre. They all have lyrics. They're all pretty much one often repeated hook line connected by completely unimaginative verses. A cliche bridge, then one last hook repeated over and over as it fades out. Words to songs are easy. But good lyrics? That's literally (literarily) a whole other story.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Hi M-bart

Just like there are guitar teachers, and workshops, and books, there ARE songwriting forums, workshops, clubs (in many communities).

They usually encompass poets, writers, and lyricists (and other forms of written/spoken/sung word smithing).

I have a friend who is an excellent song writer who belongs to a guild and attends all the workshops he can.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-17-2018, 02:47 PM

When asked this Arthur Smith said good songs aren't written, they are rewritten. Meaning tweaked and tweaked and adjusted and improved and altered and revisited until...
Old 12-17-2018, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I have not written that many songs probably less than fifty, and only three or four are still in my rep.

I think I heard that John Prine would write a short story or, perhaps an essay, then reduce it down to three chapters, or paragraphs ... then ... push them around into two rhyming couplets each, and think up a chorus that refers to them, maybe a bridge if you are feeling cocky.

One of my best offerings came from a conversation with a friend about our fathers.

It was also inspired by Guy Clark's "Randal knife", so a simple I,IV,V, IV,I progression with an alternating bridge:

[YOUTUBE]peK-dzNnig0[YOUTUBE]

Think about simple subjects, people, or situations. - It's about story telling, but short stories.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 PM

I rarely write lyrics, but from what I can tell, lyrics are not just words. They have to sound right, too. There are a lot of words that I just don't think can be put into a song: Longer words like, uh, "apprehension" or "obliterate".... (Not sure why one would want to include such words, but I hope you catch my drift.)

I was working on a song that began "I was down...." The word "down" just did not sound good. When singing, that "ow" sound is kind of a problem. I changed it to "I was blue...", remembering not to snug up too close to the mic for the word "blue."

So I like short and common words. You've just got to put them together in new ways....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 12-17-2018, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Perhaps going to a "songwriting camp" could help https://www.summersongs.com
They offer two of these, one in NY state and one in California.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-17-2018, 08:09 PM

Ha I’m working on this these days two stories stuck with me
Tom Petty to Stan Lynch....first you need to write a hundred songs and they’ll all be bad but then you might start getting some good ones

Glenn Frey when he was coming up asked Bob Seeger about writing songs and asked what if I write songs that are bad.......to which Bob said oh your gonna write bad songs you have to keep at it.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
There are a lot of words that I just don't think can be put into a song: Longer words like, uh, "apprehension" or "obliterate".... (Not sure why one would want to include such words, but I hope you catch my drift.)

This day and age we're living in
Gives cause for apprehension,
With speed and new invention
And things like fourth dimension.
Yet we get a trifle weary
With mr. einstein's theory,
So we must get down to earth at times:
Relax, relieve the tension.

That's Sinatra..

I find it most useful to have fun with the words and sentences. If you enjoy the process, chances are the result will be worth it. The most problematic part for me is to force myself in the right mood for the song and keep the focus. Hectic world. That Sinatra song really fits this topic.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Hey Mandobart,

You said:

“With just 12 notes and a handful of rhythms, the possible combinations for these genres for melody and chord progressions are pretty well played out”

No they are not. Not even close.

No matter the style or “category”, it’s simply not true. Forget the “genre” or whatever word you choose to help you define the music. It’s completely counterproductive to composing music or lyrics.

“The handful of songs I've written,”

Handful? How many sonnets did the great poets write before they were able to understand what they needed to do to express themselves clearly, and in a way that others would understand?
How many songs did Dylan, Prine, or Goodman write, that will never reach critical eyes?

Leonard Cohen spoke often, of taking years to write, edit, rewrite and arrange his words-choose the correct or appropriate words, find the cadence-and even then, he might simply start anew.

Not only can it be learned, but I believe it must be. No one is born with that ability.

There are people who teach not only songwriting, but lyric and/or poetry expression.
Pat Pattinson (Berklee) is respected and highly regarded in this very endeavor.

Write. Think. Look at the world everyday, in a poetic, descriptive and engaging manner. Use your words to express it. If only for yourself. Write them down. Do it everyday. Refine them until you can do it clearly, in a way that is both engaging, and easy (or not) to understand. Then, read what you wrote again, to see if it truly expresses what you intended. Was it engaging? Did what you attempted to convey come through? If not, correct the mistakes and try again.

In my experience, (and I am NOT a celebrated songwriter) it takes years.
I can say, that the best words I’ve written, were honest. The songs I’m happiest with, are the ones that express my understanding in the truest form possible. For me.
What anyone else reads or sees in them is only important in the regard that I’ve engaged them.

Much like composing music, lyric writing is a dynamic process. There is no end or destination. Only choices of expression.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write