The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-17-2018, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default how are carbon fibers for guitars created?

Wondering how the carbon fibers in carbon fiber guitars are made.

Thanks.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-17-2018, 07:55 AM

Oops...misread the title...not sure how they are made
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc

Last edited by kramster; 12-17-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Wondering how the carbon fibers in carbon fiber guitars are made.
Your question made me curious. A Google search provided THIS link which has some specific info.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 12-17-2018, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Not the carbon fiber itself, but this video does show how it is turned into guitars. https://youtu.be/aUvd3CPDpA8
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 12-17-2018, 02:27 PM

I've never thought much about how the carbon fiber cloth was made, but that was an interesting read. I'm always fascinated by the factory videos showing how these beauties go together. But I can say the same for wooden guitar assembly too.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Fazool and Wicked--Thanks for the links. Interesting and educational.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 12-17-2018, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

What I find interesting is how different, different manufacturer's carbon fiber guitars are from each other. CA Guitars were (are?) quite unique, but then so are Rainsong and the early Emeralds I have seen, and then the McPherson is altogether different again.

My exposure to the variety of makers these days is probably quite limited compared to many in this sub-forum, but even among those few makers whose products I have seen, they are quite different. They all seem to have their own "secret sauce" for mixing their own carbon fiber elixir.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-17-2018, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

When a boy carbon fiber and a girl carbon fiber fall in love, there is a "special hug" they do. If everything is just right, that "special hug" turns into the shape of a guitar... and all who get to hear it are blessed.

Umm... sorry - too many Christmas specials on TV and my wife's great cooking, combined with quite a bit of guitar time this week. There may have been Christmas cheer involved.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
When a boy carbon fiber and a girl carbon fiber fall in love, there is a "special hug" they do. If everything is just right, that "special hug" turns into the shape of a guitar... and all who get to hear it are blessed.

Umm... sorry - too many Christmas specials on TV and my wife's great cooking, combined with quite a bit of guitar time this week. There may have been Christmas cheer involved.

I like it. That "birds and the bees" story was getting a bit frayed around the edges anyway.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber