The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 04:17 PM

Default Best cleaner & cloth for Gloss finishes?

Just picked up a slightly used Martin OMC-18 - the amber tone finish is beautiful but definitely shows more fingerprints and grime but I am hesitant to clean it because the microfiber cloth I have made some swirls in another guitar.

What cleaner and cloth do you use to keep your guitar looking fresh?

Thanks in advance!
Taylor GS-Mini Koa
Seagull S6 Folk
Old 07-16-2019, 04:26 PM

Hi Jeff,
I had been using the Virtuoso polish and I feel it works very nicely. I also use the Preservation Polish from Stew Mac, which also does a great job. The cloths I use are the polishing cloths that normally are shipped with a guitar. You can purchase the cloths at Stew Mac and perhaps a bit cheaper elsewhere.
Just my ho.
Brad
Old 07-16-2019, 04:32 PM

I use this product on both guitars, one glossy and the other matte and keep a good quality micro clothe for applying and a separate one for polishing it off.

https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Produ...etailer-4-oz/?

Old 07-16-2019, 04:39 PM

I use a clean cotton cloth dampened with warm water and a little bit of a mild soap like Ivory Liquid or Cetaphil Skin Cleanser:

Cetaphil Skin Cleanser

I follow that with a dampened cloth that hasn't got any of the soap on it.

As for polishing, once in a blue moon I'll apply a little bit of the Virtuoso polish. That's something that should be done sparingly, though, for the simple reason that every time you polish the guitar you remove some finish in the process. It's not much, obviously, but it does eventually add up.

If there's any stubborn gunk on the guitar that the slightly soapy water-dampened cloth won't take off, I use just a drop or two of Ronsonol lighter fuel:

˙˙˙

Again, use sparingly.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-16-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffe26 View Post
Just picked up a slightly used Martin OMC-18 - the amber tone finish is beautiful but definitely shows more fingerprints and grime but I am hesitant to clean it because the microfiber cloth I have made some swirls in another guitar.

What cleaner and cloth do you use to keep your guitar looking fresh?

Thanks in advance!
I think microfibre cloths are meant to be used in a wiping action to pick up dust and not for buffing, which is what causes the scratching with them. I've noticed it too. Warm water, washing-up liquid and a soft cloth thoroughly wrung out is a I use then a light buff with yellow dusting cloth or similar is all I use. Pretty much similar to Wade's idea of doing it... less is more.

Last edited by stringjunky; 07-16-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:31 PM

I use Martin guitar polish and cleaner on my Ambertone Martin with a soft cotton cloth. I use Music Nomad detailer on many other guitars though. The Martin stuff seems to leave my finish a little clearer.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:00 AM
Charter Member

Agree w others, clean cotton cloth not poly.... and don’t rub hard.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:40 AM

Breath and an old cotton t-shirt. The guitar won't get any more shiny using 'proper' polishes.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Breath and an old cotton t-shirt. The guitar won't get any more shiny using 'proper' polishes.
I think most of the time that's ok but mist from breath won't dissolve grease; just spread it around.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I don't use any of the stuff sold by music retailers. I use dampended disposable kitchen "J-cloths" for wiping down and removing any little "deposits" (yes, we singer/guitarists occasionally spit a little).

Then I polish all over with a cloth soaked in a product called Regency Gold.
It is applied just damp and immediately wiped off - usually with a microfibre cloth.
Been using this stuff for over ten years and now, finally, on my second 500 ml bottle.

Nothing nasty in it, and no cellulose and leaves a pleasant aroma. It was formulated for valuable antique furniture and other treen.

see :
Old 07-17-2019, 05:24 AM

What would you recommend for the back of my Martin D-35. When it's hot and I hold it against me for any length of time, it has a "milky" looking spot on it. I have used Virtuoso polish in the past, but based on Wade Hampton's post, I'm starting to rethink that.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:34 AM

sc-smitty

Meguiars Scratch X20 is an extremely fine cleaner/polish that will remove anything lighter fluid won't.
Use a soft cotton cloth and a drop of this. Hand buff the offending area until the polish almost disappears and then buff the residue with another clean soft cotton cloth.
It may take a little elbow grease if the gunk is heavy or you may have to repeat.
I have used this product for almost a year on my J45. It works and it does not hurt nitro finished guitars.
It is also wonderful for removing those fine scratches in burst finishes.
It can be found at auto parts stores anywhere.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-17-2019, 05:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulRF View Post
I use this product on both guitars, one glossy and the other matte...
https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Produ...etailer-4-oz/?
The other day I bought a similar looking bottle at the local GC but it's called a polish instead of a detailer:
https://www.musicnomadcare.com/Products/Guitar-Polish/
I wonder what the difference is. Maybe one just has more polish in it than the other.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:04 PM

That one is for gloss finishes where the detailer can be used on both matte and gloss. I also have one of their other products, guitar wax, which I use on my other guitar. I purchased this ages ago when I had banjos and liked that it has uv protection as I use to play outside a bit.
Old 07-19-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-smitty View Post
What would you recommend for the back of my Martin D-35. When it's hot and I hold it against me for any length of time, it has a "milky" looking spot on it. I have used Virtuoso polish in the past, but based on Wade Hampton's post, I'm starting to rethink that.
Virtuoso polish is fine, just use it sparingly and not all that often. The main enemy here is going rub-a-dub-dub with polish and oiling the fingerboard every time you change your strings (unless you go six months to a year between string changes.) Using these products sparingly and only once in a very great while is your best course of action; thinking that slathering oil on the fretboard and shining everything up with polish every two weeks or so is (most definitely) not.

Dealing with haze in the finish is more problematic. I’ve never had that particular problem myself, but I do know that it’s not easy to get rid of. I would take that to a pro to deal with, either that or learn to live with it. I’ve never heard or read of any of home solutions for that problem that either work or - here’s the scary part - don’t make things worse.

So if it bothers you enough to take action, then take the guitar to a repair tech with experience working with nitrocellulose lacquer finishes. That’s what’s on your D-35, and what you have is finish haze. It’s not uncommon, and if your guitar tech has experience dealing with it, that’s your best bet.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion