The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 07:14 PM

Default Taylor binding change - why?

I was wondering why Taylor made a change to the way they put binding on the necks. I think the change was implemented with the switch to v-class. Take the 800 series for example, the body, neck and headstock are all bound with maple. Pre v-class guitars though have binding up the fretboard thick enough that the dots are black to be seen on the maple binding, as it wraps around the edges of the fretboard. Very visible when looking down and playing. Current models though have this very stripped down and seem to have just a thin strip running more across the top of the sides of the fretboard rather than wrap around the sides and really bind the pieces together. The look when playing is almost that the ebony meets the neck, the dots are in white now since they just sit on the edge of the ebony fretboard. Doesn’t change the sound or feel at all, I’d still buy one but anyone noticed or know why? The bodies are still done pretty well the same as always.

I really liked the previous way way since the binding was very evident and popped but as I said it wouldn’t deter me from buying a newer one of course.
Gibson J-45 ('48)
Martin D40
Old 07-15-2019, 07:46 PM

It looks like the V-braced and deluxe 800 series models have ebony binding with additional inset maple trim rather than just the standard maple binding. I don’t see that as being “stripped down” per se — as it’s additional aesthetic ornamentation that is going to require more skill and effort to apply to the guitar.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
It looks like the V-braced and deluxe 800 series models have ebony binding with additional inset maple trim rather than just the standard maple binding. I don’t see that as being “stripped down” per se — as it’s additional aesthetic ornamentation that is going to require more skill and effort to apply to the guitar.
But since the fretboard is ebony already is it really extra? And this is the same across all series so I am not sure that it is extra ebony binding on top of ebony. It looked to me like a thin maple inlay on top of the ebony fretboard. I could be wrong I’m no luthier but that was my impression.
Gibson J-45 ('48)
Martin D40
Old 07-15-2019, 08:31 PM

It’s not uncommon for fretboards to be bound in the same wood type. And even if these V/deluxe 800 fretboards have the maple inlaid into a single piece of wood, I don’t see that as any kind of corner-cutting or effort to dumb down the fretboard, functionally or aesthetically. The fretboard and headstock purfling is a decorative element indicative of a high-end instrument.

For what it’s worth, Taylor lists the V-braced and deluxe 814ce models as having West African ebony fretboard binding edge treatment, the 816ce (not deluxe or V-braced) as having pale non-figured maple fretboard binding/edge treatment, the 314ce as having black fretboard binding/edge treatment, and the 114ce as having no fretboard binding/edge treatment.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
It’s not uncommon for fretboards to be bound in the same wood type. And even if these V/deluxe 800 fretboards have the maple inlaid into a single piece of wood, I don’t see that as any kind of corner-cutting or effort to dumb down the fretboard, functionally or aesthetically. The fretboard and headstock purfling is a decorative element indicative of a high-end instrument.

For what it’s worth, Taylor lists the V-braced and deluxe 814ce models as having West African ebony fretboard binding edge treatment, the 816ce (not deluxe or V-braced) as having pale non-figured maple fretboard binding/edge treatment, the 314ce as having black fretboard binding/edge treatment, and the 114ce as having no fretboard binding/edge treatment.
Absolutely, I don't accuse Taylor of cutting corners or pinching pennies here. Like I said, doesn't change feel or tone and I'd still certainly own one. Just never saw that and personally prefer the other way. For what it's worth they seem to now stain the neck to make a more uniform look that matches the back and sides whereas they didn't before. Just some little details....
Gibson J-45 ('48)
Martin D40
Old 07-15-2019, 09:59 PM

Sure — it’s definitely just a matter of aesthetic preference in this case. I think it’s just a matter of Taylor making small tweaks to the newer models without doing a wholesale update to the series. I think they’re going for a slightly more “premium” look, but I don’t blame anyone for wanting more simple-looking elements on a guitar — that’s what I tend to prefer myself
Old 07-16-2019, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

My Lowdens have ebony-bound ebony fretboards with abalone side-dots. They exude ‘class’, and the dots are perfectly visible, even to my 72-year-old eyes. I love the simplicity of the look, and the smooth feel.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 07-16-2019, 01:07 AM

Guitar manufacturers make production changes from time to time; it’s just in the nature of the business.

When I bought my Larrivee OM-03W new in 1998, as a “3 Series” guitar it came with a UV-cured satin finish, black wood fiber body binding and aluminum “micro dot” fretboard position markers made by slicing aluminum wire very thin in cross section, making little silver-colored metal dots that’ll never tarnish, at a substantially lower materials cost than pearl or abalone.

All of those things have changed since then - the “3 Series” guitars still have satin finishes but they’re not using UV-cured polyester as a finish anymore, the processed wood fiber bindings have been replaced with maple, and I don’t think they’re using aluminum micro dot position markers anymore, either.

I happen to really like the appointments on my OM-03W, and kind of wish they’d kept them the same, but nobody asked me what I thought!

Things change. I’m not trying to be flippant about this, because, like you, I think the previous appointments were just fine. But every guitar company I’ve ever been around has got creative people on staff who come up with interesting ideas virtually all the time. Sometimes those ideas get implemented.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-16-2019, 05:21 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Bob Taylor has described his guitars as a product of discovery, meaning that they trying things, like them, and implement them. They don't hang on heritage very long. The upside is that if you don't like a particular aesthetic treatment, hang around: it'll eventually change. The downside is when you are in the market for a particular guitar and the change is made before you get a chance to snag one!

The 300 class has an ebony board with a black plastic binding that can be hard to notice. Only the fact that the fret ends are covered gives it away.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-16-2019, 09:15 AM

Perhaps this is production related. I could see Taylor adding the thin strip of maple binding to the fingerboards before they are applied to the neck. Maybe easy to do that way?
Old 07-16-2019, 09:16 AM

When Taylor makes a change one should always look at the reason behind the reason. Taylor is infamous for making changes that save them production costs and tout them as innovations or upgrades when in fact they are not, but spin them into marketing devices. There are iterations of the same model that over a period of only a few years the latter model barely resembles the older one. V-Class bracing is one of those things that I still have questions about. Some of the guitars that have it are truly wonderful, while some long-standing models have suffered because of it.

Below find photos of the back of two Taylor 614's. The three-piece unit was built around 2008. The second (two piece) was made in 2011. It is easy to see that both the construction and wood used are not the same. The 2011 does have an upgraded pickup system (but not sure to what extent), but I'm sure Taylor used the pickup system as a marketing point. Just one illustration of the comments made above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 614ce_bigleafmaple.jpg (15.7 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg F11A7108.jpg (33.9 KB, 119 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-16-2019, 09:34 AM

Count me among those who is glad Taylor is able to and willing to make changes to their guitars, iterative or otherwise.

Last edited by ataylor; 07-16-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:41 AM

I would call it understated class. A little goes a long ways, perhaps? I think the appearance fits in better with the overall look and vibe, especially with the black nut. A black nut would clash with lighter colored thicker fretboard binding in my opinion. And of course, the black nut quickly identifies a Taylor as V class. I like the looks of the newer Taylors. Especially the little headstock inlays.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Count me among those who is glad Taylor is able to and willing to make changes to their guitars, iterative or otherwise.
Same here. Seeing their ongoing process of change as some sort of betrayal of the public is just silly.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion