The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-14-2019, 05:11 PM

Default The Wegen 1.2 Bluegrass keeps rising to the top!

I have a variety of picks that I've tried including V pick Bullseye, Dunlop Ultex Sharps in multiple thicknesses, Primetones, John Pearse Fast turtle, Dunlop gator grips, but the one that keeps rising to the top is the Wegen 1.2 Bluegrass. I just really like the crisp tone that I get from them on every guitar I've played with them and they're super easy to hold on to. I don't hear pick noise with them either and pick noose is a huge turn-off for me and one that the V-pick Bullseye is Bad for. I'd like to try a Blue Chip pick but I don't know if it'd beat the Wegen. Are there any more Wegen fans on here?

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 07-16-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Then Wegen is the one for you. No probs.

I see no mention of Blue Chips though.

BC TAD 50s (1,25 m/m ) are smooth fast and even across the strings and I use them on most of my guitars, especially my Collingses, but on my 12 strings, and most recently on my Santa Cruz jumbo, I currently prefer the crispness of the Wegen TF140s.

Guitars, strings picks, whatever, find what works for you and use it, and don't worry what others use.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

The Wegen 1.4mm bluegrass picks took a while to grow on me, but lately that's about all I've been using. I like the 1.5mm Primetones too (the opaque ones). Never got along with Fast Turtles, even after dressing the bevels.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Wegens had been my favorite for a couple of years. There must be a few of us who prefer them around. I like them for the same reasons as the OP: easy to grip, good feel, low noise. I got a Blue Chip about a year ago, and Wegens are still my favorite with the Blue Chip in second. The Blue Chip I got is noisier than the Wegens with my playing style. I'm primarily a fingerpicker, so I can imagine others with stronger pick technique being able to control pick noise better than me. It's all personal preference anyway, and they're both really good picks.

Santa Cruz H, Martin D28A 1937, 000-28AA 1937, 000-15M, Fairbanks F-20NL, Walker Wise River
Old 07-16-2019, 09:03 PM

You know, I probably have more picks than any mediocre player should, but I regularly gravitate toward the Wegens for some reason, and the 1.2 has seemed just right for the hybrid picking style I've been working on lately.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:23 PM

I like the Wegen 1.4 triangles, but find them brighter than bluechips for how I play so they don’t get used much. I like giving Wegens to newer players to introduce them to better picks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion