The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2019, 12:36 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor Grand Pacific 717 Builders Edition Review & Comparison to D-18's

After following (Shades of Blue) thread about his new Taylor Grand Pacific 717 Builders Edition, I was lucky enough to bring one home to demo, evaluate, compare and contrast to my Martin D-18's. Yes, different animals, but my D-18's are my main guitars. So why not?

Video recordings here, review and pics below:

Taylor Grand Pacific 717E Builders Edition Demo

Taylor 717E Grand Pacific BE Versus Martin 2015 D-18

Martin D-18's Versus Taylor Grand Pacific 717E

First off, the satin finish on the GP 717 is exquisite and is quite sensual. It feels very refined and upscale and looks incredible. The rounded/rolled edges around the binding create super comfy edges that are smooth as silk.

The neck profile is deeper than most Taylors with just enough depth to fit my hand without feeling chunky. I love it. It is the most comfortable Taylor neck I've played and I like as much or more than the Martin MLO/Performance neck on my D-18's.

The V class bracing yields wonderful sustain that works better on the slope shoulder Grand Pacific. The tonality has a wonderful percussiveness and projects with effortlessness. The guitar is very 'alive and vibrant' and notes project with the lightest touch. Its quite loud. There is a lot of detail, midrange complexity and sweet treble content that is never 'thin' like a lot of Taylors exhibit. The Low end is not predominant (at least not on a new guitar with Elixir strings) But the low end is present and nicely balanced. That said, my fiancé commented there was a slight congestion of low frequencies that overshadowed some detail and other frequencies. I don't hear it as congested from the players standpoint but that was her comment from the listener side of the soundhole.

The sustain, resonance, detail and balance are remarkable. It is as-if it has the detail and complexity of an OM paired with the fullness of a dread.

The ES2 Pickup sounds a bit richer on this guitar than other Taylors. Maybe because its a full bodied rich voice to begin with? There is still quite a bit of string/fingerboard squeak, but with that, you also hear all the nuances of your fingering hand.

I was surprised how much I liked the guitar. In fact, I love it. That said, how does it compare with my well loved D-18 and DC-18 Ambertone Cutaway?

Overall, I still prefer my Martin D-18's. They sound and feel like home to me. But I would not hesitate to own one of the Taylor Grand Pacific 717 Builders Edition guitars.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 07-14-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:40 AM

Nice review. I always enjoy your playing no matter what you’re holding.

I agree, the Taylor “doesn’t sound like a Taylor”. I think the RW gives it the edge in the comparo. It gives just enough overtones to out shimmer the mahogany guitars.

I demo’d the 717 vs the 517 and found the RW GP to be instantly preferable. I suspect the D-18s would show their superiority versus a like wooded GP and that a D-28 variant would more than give the 717 a run for its money.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:22 AM

Im a martin man but that taylor spinds wonderful
Old 07-13-2019, 05:27 AM

Superb demo and playing Gary. Thanks for doing this!

It’s actually hard for me to tell which I prefer. The Martin has more depth and bass, but the individual notes are thinner sounding to me. There is just a fat midrange I love in the GP. No doubt the low end is more present in the Martin.

Having said that, I hear the Elixir plinkiness and I really think the congestion is from the Strings because that is exactly how I would describe it.

You do a much better job of tone describing than I do. To me, the GP is more woody, clear, loud, and robust, and the Martin is more piano like, and it is just unmistakably Martin and we all know that sound.

To me, all that my Martin has going for it is that it sounds like a Martin. I prefer both of my GPs in every area, but it is hard to deny the traditional mindset that a Martin is the sound we judge all guitars by.

I actually have a buyer for my D-18 today and I’m going to let her go should he take her. I want to live with 2 GPs for a while and see how this goes. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll just grab another Martin when I can.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:30 AM

Thanks so much, great playing. I have played 3 different 517's and 2 717's and one of the 517's won out for me, it was just a great guitar. I hope you can get your hands on a 517 so it could be mahogany to mahogany. Anyway your video's are of true value to me , so thanks again.

Last edited by bluetweed; 07-13-2019 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for taking the time to do this...nice job! Though I can’t play like you, I did a comparison of a GP 717 BE to my guitars earlier this week, and I heard very similar things from the GP in your review. First, the GP is an outstanding guitar, and to my ears, the best sounding guitar Taylor has put out since those made in the early-mid 90’s (which I still think are the best sounding Taylor’s ever). In your vids, my ears preferred the D-18’s. Definitely more low end, which I love, and I found them overall to be more musical. That’s not to say the GP isn’t musical, because it certainly is, just not much as your D-18’s.

In your very first bit of playing when comparing the GP to your standard D-18, the GP came across as louder, but strangely that wasn’t the case as you progressed through your various licks. There is a lot to like about the GP. I too LOVE the neck (more than the Martin MLO w/PT). It’s crafted beautifully, and for a satin finished guitar, there is an elegance to it. All the rounded/beveled edges (binding and fingerboard) are very nice touches as well. But there is something about the tone that just doesn’t blow me away—especially compared to your other guitars (and to mine when I did a comparison at home). I don’t want to call it a harshness, because that’s not correct and has a negative connotation, but maybe a better word is edginess? It’s what I hear on many Taylor’s—though on the GP to a much lesser extent—and it’s why I say the GP’s are still Taylor-esque in tone, even though they are a considerable departure from typical Taylor’s.

All in all, the GP’s are a wonderful instrument and a great new offering from Taylor. I believe they’ll be hugely successful. I would have kept the one I brought home if it rose above one of my others or filled a void for me sonically, but it didn’t. However, for someone looking for a versatile, well-balanced, excellent sounding and playing guitar that is superbly crafted and offered at a very nice price point, auditioning a Grand Pacific BE should be mandatory.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 07-13-2019 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Yo Garo Yobromean,

* I listened to these late last night when I got home from my show and as usual you did a stellar job, so thank you for your efforts!

** I found per your videos the same in that the rosewood 717 takes on a mahoganyesque characteristic having the best of both woods... very impressive to say the least and a testament maybe to the build/bracing design. The 717 is louder, balanced yet a mid punch with great sustain > me likey!

*** Of the two D18's, I preferred the Fiddleback over the Ambertone tho the Ambertone lacks nothing. Fiddleback has such depth and a mojofyed Martin characteristic to it... that would be a guitar I couldn't put down, I'd be playin' it all day. As compared to the 717, that's a tough one as I'm really liking the 717. However, there is a sweetness in the Fiddleback's lower mids that I prefer. Also the definition is better and I don't find Fiddleback's trebles to be thin at all.

**** The 717 is a beast for sure and a guitar I'd gladly own. It does not sound like a typical Taylor imo. As far as the ES2, it is better then the ES1 for sure when dialed in. Taylor probably looked close at Takamine's Palathetic system design and tried to create something close to it. It's still not as good as Tak's imo, but it's getting close.

***** If I had the coin a honeyburst 717 might be in my house, but not likely on musician's pay LOL!... I'm perfectly happy with my D18 & two Taks, but dang the 717 is surely a sweet guitar and has a lot goin' on sonically as well as being visually appealing. I can hear and see why Jonathan digs it, but I still would not get rid of the D18 if I were him. He has other guitars in his stable he could move, but that's jus' my thoughts. A 717, a 517 and a D18 is a trifecta!

Thanks again Gary for doing this and Jonathan for creating some great buzz on the AGF about this remarkable new model!!

eric
Old 07-13-2019, 07:26 AM

Thanks for a nice comparison.
I actually was surprised at how much I liked the Taylor and it definitely does not sound like your everyday Taylor voicing.
The Martin D18 is overall a warmer, richer sounding guitar which is the only way I can describe it. The Taylor however, has that clarity and a different kind of warmth that just might fit with me as a singer.
Thanks again for the demo.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-13-2019, 08:03 AM

Nice comparisons and lovely playing.

I love how the 717 isn’t overly bright or shimmery or mid-scooped as can be the case with a large-body rosewood guitar. In that way I find it more similar to the Gibson Advanced Jumbo than a Martin, and more similar to a standard D-28 than the HD-28.

I typically gravitate towards mahogany, but both times I’ve played the 517 and 717, I’ve found myself preferring the latter. It’s a nice combination of a dry, fundamental tone with the depth of rosewood — and just a little bit of that sparkle to the overtones.

If I had to pick between these guitars, your natural-top D-18 is still the winner for me — it’s just a fantastic all-around guitar. That being said, the 717 is a fine complement to the Martin dreadnought sound and one I wouldn’t mind having at arm’s reach in the future. As I said in a review of the Grand Pacific after I got a chance to play a couple prototypes, this is the guitar I’ve wanted Taylor to make for over a decade.

Fun to hear the head-to-head comparisons — thanks for sharing!
Old 07-13-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
After following (Shades of Blue) thread about his new Taylor Grand Pacific 717 Builders Edition, I was lucky enough to bring one home to demo, evaluate, compare and contrast to my Martin D-18's. Yes, different animals, but my D-18's are my main guitars. So why not?

Video recordings here, review and pics below:

Taylor Grand Pacific 717E Builders Edition Demo

Taylor 717E Grand Pacific BE Versus Martin 2015 D-18

Martin D-18's Versus Taylor Grand Pacific 717E

First off, the satin finish on the GP 717 is exquisite and is quite sensual. It feels very refined and upscale and looks incredible. The rounded/rolled edges around the binding create super comfy edges that are smooth as silk.

The neck profile is deeper than most Taylors with just enough depth to fit my hand without feeling chunky. I love it. It is the most comfortable Taylor neck I've played and I like as much or more than the Martin MLO/Performance neck on my D-18's.

The V class bracing yields wonderful sustain that works better on the slope shoulder Grand Pacific. The tonality has a wonderful percussiveness and projects with effortlessness. The guitar is very 'alive and vibrant' and notes project with the lightest touch. Its quite loud. There is a lot of detail, midrange complexity and sweet treble content that is never 'thin' like a lot of Taylors exhibit. The Low end is not predominant (at least not on a new guitar with Elixir strings) But the low end is present and nicely balanced. That said, my fiancé commented there was a slight congestion of low frequencies that overshadowed some detail and other frequencies. I don't hear it as congested from the players standpoint but that was her comment from the listener side of the soundhole.

The sustain, resonance, detail and balance are remarkable. It is as-if it has the detail and complexity of an OM paired with the fullness of a dread.

The ES2 Pickup sounds a bit richer on this guitar than other Taylors. Maybe because its a full bodied rich voice to begin with? There is still quite a bit of string/fingerboard squeak, but with that, you also hear all the nuances of your fingering hand.

I was surprised how much I liked the guitar. In fact, I love it. That said, how does it compare with my well loved D-18 and DC-18 Ambertone Cutaway?

Overall, I still prefer my Martin D-18's. They sound and feel like home to me. But I would not hesitate to own one of the Taylor Grand Pacific 717 Builders Edition guitars.

Thanks for the review and shootout Gary. Again, very very informative.

Personally, I liked your D-18 sunburst the best. I thought it had just enough sparkle that was lacking in the D-18 natural. I think some players will really love the 717. It was extremely articulate, and might be too much in some players' hands. I had the opportunity to play a 317 and was very, very impressed and can't wait to try a 717. I'm going to have to make time to visit CME as I know they'll have the full range of GP's to try.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-13-2019, 08:59 AM

Thanks for recording these, Gary....much appreciated. I grabbed the headphones for a close second listen......

Now, a couple of points.... my 717e has ‘opened out’ extremely quickly and very extensively since I bought it at Easter time. The last couple of weeks it has levelled out, or in a bit of a lull? But it is still a bit new sounding, so much more running in for me to do! My guitar is basically unrecognisable now after a few months of playing in.

The 717 in your video sounds very new, compared to mine, while the D18 (Standard) has been very played in. In that light, the video comparison becomes ‘Pro D18’. A more fair comparison would be the 717 and a D18 straight from the shop...both new with new strings.

Among my little arsenal is my D18e Retro, which is the same as the new D18 models but with a very slightly wider neck and bridge spacing and the Aura pickup system - a great guitar. (That is staying, by the way!). I will do my own little comparison tomorrow, but you won’t hear it because the strings on the D18 belonged to Noah.

Something you may enjoy trying on the 717 before you return it, is some four note chords on the high strings around the 10-12 fret area. V bracing rules! Another little test to compare with your D18 would be to play a basic D minor 7 bar chord at the 5 fret and move it up in semis to play at the 10 - the 2nd and 3rd string will be beautifully in tune on the 717......then try the D18.

Thanks again.

BluesKing777.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:06 AM

Great videos. They're all nice guitars.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:08 AM

I can't help but wonder what would opinions be if you changed some bridge pins...
Old 07-13-2019, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Gary, for your wonderful playing that showcases these fine guitars! Although the Martin D-18 sounds darker, which adds some richness to its tone, the Taylor 717e GP just sounds more open and articulate with every note standing out within a rich chordal backwash. I hear the Martin's darkness of tone as making everything sound distant compared to the out-front tone of the Taylor--the Martin sounds like there is sheet between it and the mic (listener). I've been on a fence about getting the new Taylor 717e Grand Pacific but your video comparison has compelled me even more toward acquiring one!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-13-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

nice, thanks for sharing

I'd love to see a comparison of the

Taylor 717 GP

to a

Larrivee L03R

hint hint

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion