The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed66 View Post
Welcome to the forum! If I were looking in your price range, and being north of the border, I would start with Seagull's Artist line as well as the new line of acoustics put out by Godin. Just last night I was playing my two Artists (one Sitka/Rosewood and the other Cedar/Mahogany) and marveled, once again, at what amazing tone they each had. I've played numerous other guitars that had equivalent tone quality but none that were better. I've also seen some amazing wood, detail and bling, but, as gorgeous as it was (and I'm a wood worker so I really appreciate it), it didn't make the guitar sound better. Seagull doesn't really focus on bling, but they do some great things with sound at a very attractive price.
They're definitely on the table for consideration. As I mentioned in my opening post, I certainly have very fond memories of the original guitars my wife and I had many years ago now...They were Seagulls and they were fantastic by memory. A lot nicer than what I have right now I can assure you...lol

When I bought this junker I have right now I just didn't want to lay out much cash because I was still measuring my interest, seeing how much time I would have to put into it, etc...

I have a guy I work with who is a HUGE proponent of Godin products generally...He is more on the electric guitar side of things...
Old 07-12-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi dbone, and welcome from an old Limey.
I'd like to build on Jim Whelen's advice by saying

Cutaway - are you REALLY going to be playing above the 12 the fret a whole lot? I play 12 fret guitars and really don't need access to the dusty end.

Also I "suspect" that cutaways are slower to sell/trade than non cuts.

Now, electrics - you want to play an "ACOUSTIC" yes? Then spend your money on the build and material, not electrics initially.
I'd respectfully disagree with Jim in that retro fitting is not difficult nor necessarily that expensive, and unless you are going to be performing in places where you NEED amplification, save that consideration for later - also technology of acoustic pickups changes rapidly.

Also seriously consider Eastman. I run an acoustic music club, and I see more budget range guitars played on my stage than high dollar ones.
Folk don't (aren't allowed to plug in - I provide a large condenser mic for both vocals and guitars and I'm always getting compliments on the sound.

Because of this we really hear the tone of the guitars being played and two brands really stand out tonally - Faith, and Eastman.

Just a thought.

Finally, enjoy the hunt. Don't rush it, think about what it is that makes a guitar feel right in your hands and feels right on your body etc.

Many people in this and other fora talk about aches and pains. Much of this is about too large a guitar, combined with poor seating/posture etc.
so, think a little about fretboard width, scale length, and body size - i.e.
1. do you really need a dreadnought or jumbo size for how and where you play?
2. do you really need electrics if you don't plan on performing?
3. Do you really feel comfy with a thin 1 & 11/16" nut width.
4. as a relative newbie, do you even need a 14 fret guitar? (12 fretters should provide a wider fretboard).

and stuff like that.

Further ask more questions get more opinions!

all the best ol'Andy
I had actually looked at faith guitars at one point, but there didn't seem to be much available for them in my area, and Canada generally if I recall...Yeah, there did seem to be good value for money with them...

Yeah, the pickup thing is probably, in reality, very far from something I need any time soon (if ever)...The cutaway I would be a little more inclined to go for just for versatility over time...I don't think I have a wife that will be supportive enough to allow me to get a 1000 guitars like some of you folks...lol...I need to choose wisely for sure...

Thanks for all your thoughts sir...All this kinda stuff is good to be hearing, considering etc...no doubt...thank you
Old 07-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
As an added recomendation- it sounds as if you've checked out a few places but perhaps looking for used guitars at places like 12th Fret in T.O. and Folkway in Waterloo. Buying used is a good way to save a bunch of dough if you know how to avoid the pitfalls. Good luck.
I think you hit the nail on the head...With my level of knowledge, goals, and length of time I plan to hold the piece, I think I'm going new...Get me a warranty etc...

Just a comfort level thing...I have bad luck with a lot of the new things I purchase half the time, let alone used ;-)

Having said this, I would consider used from a reputable dealer if the right opportunity came along. No doubt.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zplay View Post
Hello and welcome - I envy the point you’re at being on the cusp of starting to play regularly and ready to buy your first really good guitar! I was there once, having started to play again in my late 40s.

Anyway, I STRONGLY suggest that you get thee hence to a quality brick’n mortar guitar dispensary such as the following which is hopefully not too distant from your home ....
https://brickhouseguitars.com/

There is absolutely no substitute for having the experience of having multiple guitars in your hands before you make a choice. There are so many variables at play and buying on the basis of reputation or recommendations may lead you to a good guitar but not the best guitar for your parameters.

Enjoy the hunt.
I've been on their website a lot in the past...I know they are into Furch guitars in a big way...This outfit is quite far away from me. A brand that certainly has some appeal for me is definitely Furch...I believe their YELLOW level (Furch) ticks a lot of my boxes in my price range...We have one store locally that sells Furch product so it is a possibility. I have never been in there to see what they have...I think they are a pretty small place so I doubt they have much...
Old 07-12-2019, 03:17 PM

Play as many guitars as you can and take notes. One thing no one's mentioned yet is playability. We all find we have different preferences on neck profile, nut width, body depth, etc. You'll find dozens of posts where someone gets their "dream guitar" only to find the nut is 1/16" too wide or narrow, or the dreadnaught body hurts their shoulder, or the v-shaped neck cramps their hand. Tone and playability rule; bling, name on the headstock, mojo, etc. are all fluff.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:03 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Here is a link to a variant of the Yamaha LL36 that I would love to check out...Not even sure it is available at all any more, or in Canada/US? I'm contacting Yamaha to see...

This rings my bell for some reason...LOL...Not saying for sure I'm going in this direction but it will be on the table for consideration...

https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars...-hard-case.htm

What do you guys think?
Welcome to the forum. I had a great post ready to go and I lost power, and your post !!! So here's the short version...... See the link below for a magazine called Interactive Guitar, Issue # 46 , go to the review on page 152, about Yamaha's LL16ARE guitar, on page 154 there is a video,sit back and listen to this guitar especially when mic'd, this guy is not playing well, he is causing a lot of buzzing, trying to play fingerstyle !!! I bought the Black one from Sweetwater, sight unseen, and unplayed. I swapped out the nut, saddle, and bridge pins for Graphtech Tusq, and all I can say is I will never sell it, or buy a better guitar ever !!! Save yourself a bunch of money,on the LL36. Check it out, this model is fantastic, but for a fraction of the price!!! You will be a happy man !!! https://www.guitarinteractivemagazin...maha-ll16-are/
scroll down for the video !!!

Last edited by Graham H; 07-13-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:16 PM

Welcome, Dbone. I live in a suburb of Anchorage, Alaska. We're kind of like Canadians up here, except we're not as well-groomed.

If your budget is up to $3000 USD, you can buy a superb guitar from any of the major manufacturers. You can get plenty of professional quality new Martins under $2000, and there are plenty of Gibsons and Taylors in that range, as well

Larrivée guitars are an exceptional value. They're no longer being built in Canada, but I know there still plenty of them in circulation there where you live, both new and used.

In terms of materials and build quality, Larrivées are as good as Martin Standard Series guitars like the D-18 and the 000-28. They don't sound exactly like Martins, nor should they, but in my opinion they're great instruments. My Larrivée OM-03W is the guitar I gig out with most of the time.

Seagull guitars are also just amazing values. I've owned several, and still have a 12 string and a scarred up little Seagull Folk model that I bought for $225 CDN in a Vancouver pawnshop. It sounds amazingly warm and full. It's the guitar I keep in a stand by my computer, so it gets used a lot.

In terms of tone, I happen to prefer the least expensive Seagulls: the ones with solid cedar tops and laminated cherry backs and sides. They do make some all-solid wood models with spruce tops and rosewood backs and sides, but once you get into that price range the satin finish Larrivée "03" models are what I would buy instead.

Of course, that's just personal preference again. It's really just a matter of which you like best.

If you visit a Larrivée dealer, try their OM's, their dreadnoughts and their L-body guitars. The latter is a proprietary guitar shape that Jean Larrivée designed to try to get the best combinations of aspects of both steel string acoustic and classical guitars. Since you're interested in rosewood backs and sides, the model numbers I suggest you look for are the Larrivée OM-03R, the D-03R, and the L-03R.

Larrivée OM-03R

Do you have a guitar-playing friend who would be willing to visit a few music stores with you to help you test some of these instruments? Having another pair of ears and hands to listen, play and appraise the guitars you encounter is really helpful when you're shopping for one.

If you don't have any acquaintances like that the next best thing you can do is drop by a music store and hang around a little bit, trying out the guitars but also watching and listening to other customers as they try out guitars. Get talking with those folks a little bit, then ask them to play the guitars that have interested you. So you can stand back and listen.

Rather than confining yourself to just sitting three or four feet away while this (randomly encountered) fellow customer plays the guitars, stand up, and walk the room, and listen to the sound from different distances - four feet away, six feet, twelve feet and so forth. You might be surprised by how much the sound changes at these distances, and by how much some guitars will be notably different from each other at different distances, too. Some guitars will be clearer and more musical-sounding.

One test that I have found really helpful, if the layout of the store permits, is to walk around a corner and listen to how the different guitars sound when you're not in a direct sightline with them. That test will tell you volumes about both the tone and projection of the instruments - or the lack thereof.

As a general rule, really good-sounding guitars will still sound really good even when you're around a corner from one being played.

Just a thought.

Mandobart wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Play as many guitars as you can and take notes.
Excellent advice. The more good guitars you try out while you're looking, the better your luck will be when you decide to buy one.

There's an old saying in the antiques trade: the more you know, the luckier you get. That most definitely applies to selecting and purchasing a new guitar.

Quote:
[/I]One thing no one's mentioned yet is playability. We all find we have different preferences on neck profile, nut width, body depth, etc. You'll find dozens of posts where someone gets their "dream guitar" only to find the nut is 1/16" too wide or narrow, or the dreadnaught body hurts their shoulder, or the v-shaped neck cramps their hand. Tone and playability rule; bling, name on the headstock, mojo, etc. are all fluff.
There you have it.

So take your time, Dbone, look around, and visit a few stores over a few weekends before buying anything. Once you own the guitar, you'll have it for a long, long time, so there's no hurry.

Good luck and happy guitar-hunting, and please keep us appraised of the progress you make.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-16-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
Welcome to the forum. I had a great post ready to go and I lost power, and your post !!! So here's the short version...... See the link below for a magazine called Interactive Guitar, Issue # 46 , go to the review on page 152, about Yamaha's LL16ARE guitar, on page 154 there is a video,sit back and listen to this guitar especially when mic'd, this guy is not playing well, he is causing a lot of buzzing, trying to play fingerstyle !!! I bought the Black one from Sweetwater, sight unseen, and unplayed. I swapped out the nut, saddle, and bridge pins for Graphtech Tusq, and all I can say is I will never sell it, or buy a better guitar ever !!! Save yourself a bunch of money,on the LL36. Check it out, this model is fantastic, but for a fraction of the price!!! You will be a happy man !!! https://www.guitarinteractivemagazin...maha-ll16-are/
scroll down for the video !!!
Thanks man. I checked out the vid.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:03 PM

Thanks for the post. Loved yer opener ;-0

Yeah, you’ve got me revisiting Larrivee a little more. I know they and seagull are great. I have a bud that can go with me. He is more of an electric guitar guy than anything but he knows his stuff generally.

Things are quite busy with the kids and vacation season, but I hope to get a little more traction on what I’m doing over the next while, check a few more things out in person, etc.

Some good advice in here. Thank you my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Welcome, Dbone. I live in a suburb of Anchorage, Alaska. We're kind of like Canadians up here, except we're not as well-groomed.

If your budget is up to $3000 USD, you can buy a superb guitar from any of the major manufacturers. You can get plenty of professional quality new Martins under $2000, and there are plenty of Gibsons and Taylors in that range, as well

Larrivée guitars are an exceptional value. They're no longer being built in Canada, but I know there still plenty of them in circulation there where you live, both new and used.

In terms of materials and build quality, Larrivées are as good as Martin Standard Series guitars like the D-18 and the 000-28. They don't sound exactly like Martins, nor should they, but in my opinion they're great instruments. My Larrivée OM-03W is the guitar I gig out with most of the time.

Seagull guitars are also just amazing values. I've owned several, and still have a 12 string and a scarred up little Seagull Folk model that I bought for $225 CDN in a Vancouver pawnshop. It sounds amazingly warm and full. It's the guitar I keep in a stand by my computer, so it gets used a lot.

In terms of tone, I happen to prefer the least expensive Seagulls: the ones with solid cedar tops and laminated cherry backs and sides. They do make some all-solid wood models with spruce tops and rosewood backs and sides, but once you get into that price range the satin finish Larrivée "03" models are what I would buy instead.

Of course, that's just personal preference again. It's really just a matter of which you like best.

If you visit a Larrivée dealer, try their OM's, their dreadnoughts and their L-body guitars. The latter is a proprietary guitar shape that Jean Larrivée designed to try to get the best combinations of aspects of both steel string acoustic and classical guitars. Since you're interested in rosewood backs and sides, the model numbers I suggest you look for are the Larrivée OM-03R, the D-03R, and the L-03R.

Larrivée OM-03R

Do you have a guitar-playing friend who would be willing to visit a few music stores with you to help you test some of these instruments? Having another pair of ears and hands to listen, play and appraise the guitars you encounter is really helpful when you're shopping for one.

If you don't have any acquaintances like that the next best thing you can do is drop by a music store and hang around a little bit, trying out the guitars but also watching and listening to other customers as they try out guitars. Get talking with those folks a little bit, then ask them to play the guitars that have interested you. So you can stand back and listen.

Rather than confining yourself to just sitting three or four feet away while this (randomly encountered) fellow customer plays the guitars, stand up, and walk the room, and listen to the sound from different distances - four feet away, six feet, twelve feet and so forth. You might be surprised by how much the sound changes at these distances, and by how much some guitars will be notably different from each other at different distances, too. Some guitars will be clearer and more musical-sounding.

One test that I have found really helpful, if the layout of the store permits, is to walk around a corner and listen to how the different guitars sound when you're not in a direct sightline with them. That test will tell you volumes about both the tone and projection of the instruments - or the lack thereof.

As a general rule, really good-sounding guitars will still sound really good even when you're around a corner from one being played.

Just a thought.

Mandobart wrote:

Excellent advice. The more good guitars you try out while you're looking, the better your luck will be when you decide to buy one.

There's an old saying in the antiques trade: the more you know, the luckier you get. That most definitely applies to selecting and purchasing a new guitar.

There you have it.

So take your time, Dbone, look around, and visit a few stores over a few weekends before buying anything. Once you own the guitar, you'll have it for a long, long time, so there's no hurry.

Good luck and happy guitar-hunting, and please keep us appraised of the progress you make.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-16-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Play as many guitars as you can and take notes. One thing no one's mentioned yet is playability. We all find we have different preferences on neck profile, nut width, body depth, etc. You'll find dozens of posts where someone gets their "dream guitar" only to find the nut is 1/16" too wide or narrow, or the dreadnaught body hurts their shoulder, or the v-shaped neck cramps their hand. Tone and playability rule; bling, name on the headstock, mojo, etc. are all fluff.
Never really thought to do this. Probably because I haven’t been all that serious until now. This is probably not a bad idea...it is a bit confusing for sure...
Old 07-18-2019, 06:19 PM

Well,

Went to a guitar store today and tried a whole bunch of different ones.

I tried 3 different V Class Taylors and learned that they are NOT for me. I had never actually tried one in person until now. Like the videos on the net seemed to suggest to me, relative to the others I tried I definitely found the sound too "thin" for my taste. I tried a 414ce-r, 317e, and a 314ce. Very similar result for me with all 3. I may offend some by saying this, but I cannot believe the plan is to make everything in their line be this?!?!?! At least that's what I thought I heard? Maybe if you're a fingerstyle type they are superb?...I don't know...For cowboy chords I'm not feeling it at all...

I tried a regular x-braced Taylor 524ce standard and boy was that a beautiful sound. Fit and finish superb. Not a fan of the dark color it was. All mahogany. Insanely nice playability and the sound was absolutely amazing. Very responsive. Beautiful neck feel. Expensive.

I tried a 714 CE taylor x braced, sitka and rosewood. Like all the taylors I tried, incredible feel on the neck, playability was amazing...The sound of it was appealing to me, but I liked the 524ce better for some reason...It was good...

Tried a Larrivee LV-09E. Rosewood b/s and sitka top. Fit and finish was superb, as was the tone. One of the nicest sounding ones of the day. Playability was really good. Liked the neck. Didn't like the price...lol...pricey...

Tried a Larrivee LV-03RE. Quite a nice sound and good playability. Not a fan of the satin finish though.

Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro. This, to me, felt like it had the best playability of anything I tried today and that is saying something because pretty much all of them were really great in that department. The sound was really good. For a 630 Cnd guitar it was impressive...All solid wood, sitka and mahogany.

Tried 2 lower end Takamines...An all koa one, and black one...I liked them quite a lot. Excellent playability, and really good tone for the price. A G70 and a GD30CE-BLK.

Gibson J45. That neck...yucky for me...too fat...Really nice tone for someone who likes that deeper muddy kind of vibe...definitely not what I'm looking for...

Martin D28. For some reason this guy didn't tune very easily compared to the others. Not sure if it was a one off, or what...Extremely poor fit and finish?!!? There was stain missing under the clear coat on the back and sides...I couldn't believe my eyes, and that Martin would allow that to leave the factory??!!?!? I took a picture. Maybe I'll post it up later if anyone is interested. Bizarre. I'm sure it is not representative of their overall quality...can't be... Loved the neck and playability. Good sound, just little "muddier" than I would like...but still really nice...

Martin D18. Kept going out of tune on the low E string?!?!? Had to retune many times over the course of the time I was there...Good sound...a little muddy for my liking...Playability was really great though...

Don't think I'm a Martin guy, but they are nice...I see the appeal for some...

Yamaha FG3. Um, amazing. I could not get over the feel of this thing for the price. So resonant. Excellent feel on the neck, and the playability was fantastic. A lot of value there.

Yamaha LLTA. I find the electronics and built-in effects kinda gimmicky...and heavy due to the electronics...my god, I would not want one of those just on that alone..The guitar itself though? So nice. Solid wood, spruce and rosewood. Love the balanced sound, still with excellent base response. Fit and finish was really good. Neck feel was excellent, as was the overall playability.

It was a fun day. I was there for a good 4 hours mucking around.

I may head out tomorrow to another place and check out some Seagulls and other Taylors. Not sure yet.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Well,

Went to a guitar store today and tried a whole bunch of different ones.

I tried 3 different V Class Taylors and learned that they are NOT for me. I had never actually tried one in person until now. Like the videos on the net seemed to suggest to me, relative to the others I tried I definitely found the sound too "thin" for my taste. I tried a 414ce-r, 317e, and a 314ce. Very similar result for me with all 3. I may offend some by saying this, but I cannot believe the plan is to make everything in their line be this?!?!?! At least that's what I thought I heard? Maybe if you're a fingerstyle type they are superb?...I don't know...For cowboy chords I'm not feeling it at all...

I tried a regular x-braced Taylor 524ce standard and boy was that a beautiful sound. Fit and finish superb. Not a fan of the dark color it was. All mahogany. Insanely nice playability and the sound was absolutely amazing. Very responsive. Beautiful neck feel. Expensive.

I tried a 714 CE taylor x braced, sitka and rosewood. Like all the taylors I tried, incredible feel on the neck, playability was amazing...The sound of it was appealing to me, but I liked the 524ce better for some reason...It was good...

Tried a Larrivee LV-09E. Rosewood b/s and sitka top. Fit and finish was superb, as was the tone. One of the nicest sounding ones of the day. Playability was really good. Liked the neck. Didn't like the price...lol...pricey...

Tried a Larrivee LV-03RE. Quite a nice sound and good playability. Not a fan of the satin finish though.

Simon and Patrick Woodland Pro. This, to me, felt like it had the best playability of anything I tried today and that is saying something because pretty much all of them were really great in that department. The sound was really good. For a 630 Cnd guitar it was impressive...All solid wood, sitka and mahogany.

Tried 2 lower end Takamines...An all koa one, and black one...I liked them quite a lot. Excellent playability, and really good tone for the price. A G70 and a GD30CE-BLK.

Gibson J45. That neck...yucky for me...too fat...Really nice tone for someone who likes that deeper muddy kind of vibe...definitely not what I'm looking for...

Martin D28. For some reason this guy didn't tune very easily compared to the others. Not sure if it was a one off, or what...Extremely poor fit and finish?!!? There was stain missing under the clear coat on the back and sides...I couldn't believe my eyes, and that Martin would allow that to leave the factory??!!?!? I took a picture. Maybe I'll post it up later if anyone is interested. Bizarre. I'm sure it is not representative of their overall quality...can't be... Loved the neck and playability. Good sound, just little "muddier" than I would like...but still really nice...

Martin D18. Kept going out of tune on the low E string?!?!? Had to retune many times over the course of the time I was there...Good sound...a little muddy for my liking...Playability was really great though...

Don't think I'm a Martin guy, but they are nice...I see the appeal for some...

Yamaha FG3. Um, amazing. I could not get over the feel of this thing for the price. So resonant. Excellent feel on the neck, and the playability was fantastic. A lot of value there.

Yamaha LLTA. I find the electronics and built-in effects kinda gimmicky...and heavy due to the electronics...my god, I would not want one of those just on that alone..The guitar itself though? So nice. Solid wood, spruce and rosewood. Love the balanced sound, still with excellent base response. Fit and finish was really good. Neck feel was excellent, as was the overall playability.

It was a fun day. I was there for a good 4 hours mucking around.

I may head out tomorrow to another place and check out some Seagulls and other Taylors. Not sure yet.
Great reviews - I enjoyed reading them and look forward to any further reports you may have to share in your search.

All the best, welcome aboard!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:21 PM

Well, I bought me a new guitar...One of these from a local retailer in my area that will in fact provide me the option of "restocking it" within 30 days if, for any reason, I'm not happy with it -->

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-jumbo-natural

I just put a deposit on it this afternoon. There is one scheduled to arrive at Yamaha Canada by early September, and it has my name on it at this point. Got lucky timing wise. Otherwise it would have been 8-10 months built to order out of Japan. Apparently they only occasionally bring them in without a specific order attached to them ahead of time, but every so often they do? (as was suggested to me, at least in the Canadian market).

As I said previously, I wanted to try something of a reasonably high level of quality that was not mainstream in our markets. I have really enjoyed pretty much every Yamaha guitar that I have tried to date, so I cannot imagine that I will not be happy with this unit. If I'm not happy then I at least have the option of not having to keep it.

My research says that these things are on another level compared to the non-custom stuff that Yamaha typically has more readily on offer in our markets...i.e.: They definitely are not just prettier versions of the same thing...apparently they are much more lightly built, higher attention to detail, truly built by hand by a small number of some of the best luthiers in the world, etc...

Here is a vid from a while ago that gives a pretty good feel for the LL36...I get a kick out of this Jarvis guy's reviews generally -->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg7XGDmrLqo

I'm taking a bit of a chance, but I feel it is a measured one.

Okay, I'm ready to be lambasted for not going with a Martin or a Taylor ;-) Let me have it ;-0

Thanks for all your input. I'm really feeling this guitar for some reason. Ideally I would have played it first but that was not possible. If I end up making a huge mistake I will be the first to admit it here in this forum. Keep it real...

I have a good feeling. I just hope the Nitro finish doesn't drive me too crazy ;0

Had it not been this, I think I would have tried to go Larrivee or x-braced Taylor, or maybe a Seagull...

Been torturing myself for the last year so it was time to pull the trigger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion