The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-15-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
Interesting. I've noticed a brand missing from your list of preamps. Personally my first step would have been to consult the manufacture of the pickup and see what they have to offer in terms of external preamps. In theory you should have no incompatibility problems by keeping everything 'in-house'.

https://kksound.com/preamps.php
I'll cop to that. I read it so many times: "Yeah I bought K&K preamp X but it wasn't all that/seemed like a lot of money for what you got. Then I bought a Red Eye and it was so much better." I figured the Red Eye would trump it all. But as I've learned, the Red Eye isn't the be-all and end-all...

Gotta eat my words now (eat my opinion? Eat other people's words?) and keep an eye out for a K&K preamp at the right price
Old 07-15-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACOUSTICDEWD View Post
Highly recommend these 1M ohm devices:

Programmable EQ from Source Audio. It's more surgical than any of the plug-n-pray devices. Clean boost alongside visual EQ controls

ParaEQ from Empress Effects. A slightly pricier option and even more surgical. parametric bliss with a great Q selection

GMF Ai1 The most affordable option - has the same shape switch found on Ultrasound amps (same designer) treble/bass controls, phase, ground and a mini headphone out.

SA Prog EQ is pretty sweet. I haven't tried it as a K&K pup line driver but I've used my mates one on a electric so I'm aware of the feature set. It's a good piece but it's going to be hard to top the EQ of the Equinox - three fully parametric bands AND two notch filters! Not everybody wants parametric jiggery pokery though.

The Empress has been on my wishlist for the longest time, but $$$.

Haven't heard of the Ai1 before though. Further investigations are required!
Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Placing individual “bugs”

I’m not a Sbt user simple because I’ve never been able to achieve the sound I need. But I’ve tried several times and just wanted to comment in Pitar’s success placing each bug individually.

I like that idea and could see how it might be a very useful technique. In fact, a few years ago k&k offered an internal preamp that had separate volume and eq (I think) for each disc. Never heard one and it eventually was discontinued, but seemed like an excellent idea.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I think the best first effort to making the K&K PWM, and other similar products, perform as needed is to find the best spot for each of the Piezo pick-ups in the array. The bridgeplate, for me, was not the right spot. I say that because I had the same problem on my 1st PWM install. I did not like the balance and tone of the product as-installed on the bridgeplate per the instructions.
Did you have to buy a new pup? Or did you find a way to save the first one?

Based on the mixed results I've had, it's possible that the pup isn't installed correctly for my guitar. I'm getting the opposite plugged-in EQ to you - too toppy and not enough warmth
Old 07-19-2019, 10:12 AM

The Palmer Pocket Amp acoustic (1m ohm) preamp was announced at NAMM. Looks promising: https://www.palmer-germany.com/en/pr...7#detail-upper

Last edited by ACOUSTICDEWD; 07-19-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:46 PM

Looks very cool. I like the controls.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification