The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-18-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk63 View Post
Neil Hogan at totallyguitars.com has a really good site.
Yeah, he's a very good player I just wish he wouldn't sing
2012 - Gibson Les Paul studio
Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 AM

Truefire fan also, but have learned scads from Homespun's cloud based DVDs. And don't forget our very own Toby Walker!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:44 AM

Another Truefire fan. Love the instant downloads. They have a rotating sale going on for the next few days. Homespun and Stephan Grossman have a lot of great stuff but the media player they use sucks. Tried Jamplay but the instructors did too much talking and not enough teaching for my taste. If you are looking for fingerpick blues Toby Walkers the man! He even has a sale on I believe...If you are looking for a more rock oriented site check out Guitar Tricks.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:20 PM

Are these websites still true? I was also wanting to know what peoples opinions were on SixStringCountry (obviously only for people who enjoy playing country music). I like a lot of genres though, so maybe UltimateGuitar?
Old 08-28-2018, 06:33 PM

I got a lot from Jamplay. I am still a member but right now I'm mostly using Justinguitar

Jamplay has some great instructors and some that talk way too much and others that show you an EVH lick twice at full speed and expect you to have it down cold. When you find one you like, you can really advance your playing.

I play a lot of Blues and Hawkeye Herman taught me lot's of new tricks.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-28-2018, 07:35 PM

I'll nominate ArtistWorks.com since it hasn't been mentioned here yet.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpl man View Post
I'll nominate ArtistWorks.com since it hasn't been mentioned here yet.

Agreed, but I’ve only worked with Bryan Sutton there. I’d also vote for Ryan Kimm, but neither of these do pop or rock.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:08 PM

I love “Shut up and play “ for well chosen pop tunes and fantastic lessons if you are just looking to learn songs.
scott
Old 08-28-2018, 09:56 PM

Jamplay is great if you are interested in Rock and Pop check out the Level Two lessons by David Isaacs and/or Will Ripley. The former has a history of rock that covers the last 50 years and both have an Acoustic Rock series that are very well done. David Isaacs has a series called Effortless Guitar that is great too. I really like the Mark Lincoln series too. They have lots of fingerpicking lesson sets as well from more Travis Picking oriented (Steve Eulberg, Jim Deeming) to more modern (Calum Graham, Don Ross and Mike Dawes) to Acoustic blues (Mary Flower, Hawkeye Herman and Orville Johnson).

I also liked GuitarTricks, they have courses for blues, rock and country that take you from beginner on up. Very well done. Tons of song lessons too.

Truefire is amazing, they have it all, dominated by blues but they have some acoustic rock and Celtic lesson sets that are top notch as well. They now have learning path lesson sets in multiple genres that look cool. These start basic and go to very advanced levels.

Artistworks is great for Bluegrass, Jazz Fingerstyle and Classical, and MusicwithRyan (mentioned before) is focused on bluegrass and let’s you submit videos of your playing to be critiqued, similar to Artistworks, but a smaller audience.

Tony Polecastros site is pretty awesome too, it takes a slightly different approach, with the main focus of getting you to pick up the guitar everyday to work on a short lesson but it works great if you stick with it.

Toby Walker, who posts here, has some really excellent fingerstyle, ragtime and acoustic blues lesson sets that are available for download. I can’t say enough good things about them.

Obviously I’ve spent some time with online lessons, if you have questions, feel free to respond or send me a private message.

Last edited by Dakotabison; 08-28-2018 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Noticed it was a 5 yr old post...still relevant
Old 08-29-2018, 04:20 AM
Charter Member

I moved from JustinGuitar to Toby Walker's fingerpicking lessons, but then I started playing with a jam group and that fingerpicking wasn't for me at this time. Now I'm using Toby's country soloing lessons. His lessons are very well worked out and Toby's a very good teacher, great player and really just an all around good guy!
Old 08-29-2018, 05:47 AM

I've learned to play fingerstyle blues from Stefan Grossman's Guitar Workshop, and Homespun (including several lessons by the aforementioned Toby Walker).
Old 08-29-2018, 06:09 AM

Funny you posted this reply to a 5 year old thread. I too came here to ask opinions on six string country!

I want to take my guitar playing to the next level and they seem to have some good courses I can use to progress without wondering what to work on next. I had signed up last year for free just to get tabs for peaceful easy feeling and I'm not sure why I didn't stick with it.

Anybody else use six string country?
Old 08-29-2018, 06:10 AM

Seems to be a *lot* of instructors out there. I like Steve Stine but haven’t used him a lot. Tony Polecastro’s “Tony’s Acoustic Challenge” is the only paid service I’ve tried, and I really liked it, but I’m trying other stuff now as well so I didn't renew it.

I really enjoy Carl Brown (guitarlesson365.com), has a bunch of free lessons. Probably my favorite in the way of diverse material and theory available. Great instructor. I’m also a recent fan of Brian from Active Melody, also has good lessons for acoustic blues on youtube.

I would say those are pretty much the only ones I use. Tony P, Carl Brown, and Brian. With a random lesson thrown in from Marty Schwartz or Steve Stine. Haven't tried a lot of the sites mentioned in this thread..
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 08-29-2018, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Check Dan C. Holloway for a comprehensive list of finger style arrangements.

D
Old 08-29-2018, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

I would add the Sonic Junction group of lessons. I have been using the Chris Eldridge flatpicking lessons but they also give acess to blues acoustic (Corey Harris) and electric (Duke Robillard) styles. I have also taken the Brian Sutton Artistworks lessons, which are also excellent. Brian focuses more on technique, and I will probably switch back to Artistworks next year.

Martin D28 (1988)
Guild JF30
Voyage Air MD-02
Collings D1
Bourgeois vintage OM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write